Help on my Rig Before ordering Sheet Metal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted this 71 40 on the Mud after making its purchase last year. I call it a Frankenstein 40 because it was assembled with so many late model parts by the previous owner(s). Crazy enough, it has ambulance doors that fit perfectly. Also late model front doors, a factory roll bar and short jump seats. It's probably safe to say that it was probably a conglomerate of several rigs but who knows. One good point is that it has a new wiring harness and fuse box.

I have this rig about halfway disassembled and am getting ready to replace the 1/4's. I don't have enough expertise to determine if this rig was re-bodied or if it was added to with later model doors, etc... It does have a front seat tool box but that could have been added as well.

Can anyone tell me anything about this body? I just want to make sure I order the correct year body panels before pulling the trigger.

I appreciate any input. And BTW, yes, those ugly wheels will be trashed and replaced with some steelies.

John

00B0B_8fauThwrOR2_1200x900[1].jpg

00U0U_jqg31Shn1iy_1200x900[1].jpg

untitled.png

FWIW, rear quarters look like my 77 (gas filler type). Hood looks like my 77. Aprons look older. Check the driver side apron for a hood prop hole, the later models have the hole. Does the front bib have a hood latch? If not it is older. I dont know about the rear doors, my 77 has the license plate, emblems and spare tire mounts on the other side. HTH

I agree with what emac said. The lack of a reverse light (maybe it doesn't fit with ambi door hinges) and the locking gas cover point to a '74+ tub. The holes for the tire mount would be right for a '71, but are the captive nuts and bracing for them on the interior side? If so they might have welded in a later gas cover for grins. If there's additional sheet metal bracing with captive nuts on the left rear interior, it's '75+.

Does the A pillar ID tag look like it has original rivets?

Looking at pics from Crappy phone, It looks like the vertical louvered cowl vent on the right side is removable. What's that mean?

FWIW, rear quarters look like my 77 (gas filler type). Hood looks like my 77. Aprons look older. Check the driver side apron for a hood prop hole, the later models have the hole. Does the front bib have a hood latch? If not it is older. I dont know about the rear doors, my 77 has the license plate, emblems and spare tire mounts on the other side. HTH
I agree with what emac said. The lack of a reverse light (maybe it doesn't fit with ambi door hinges) and the locking gas cover point to a '74+ tub. The holes for the tire mount would be right for a '71, but are the captive nuts and bracing for them on the interior side? If so they might have welded in a later gas cover for grins. If there's additional sheet metal bracing with captive nuts on the left rear interior, it's '75+.

Does the A pillar ID tag look like it has original rivets?

By the emblem location and hole for a spare tire carrier on the right would say a 73/74 tub. Those have the fuel fill door. Could also be post 74 FST that had a tailgate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom