help needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone send me a picture of a the coil and its' wiring connections on a stock FJ60? Or a later model 40? Trying to finish up the engine wiring on a 40 here in Richmond with a friend and I am unsure what wires go where. And we don't have access to a 60 wiring diagram- I'd like to know what the two wires going into the distributor are for- I am sure one is the power from the coil/igniter and the other is the tachometer feed. Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

have you tried this thread:

Hope you're doing well Gary.

Sorry for being late.
Here is the schematic for the ignition system on a late model 40. The red and white wires go to the Hall Effect sensor inside the distributor. The Hall Effect sensor replaces the points that were inside the distributor in the good old days. The red and white wires go to the igniter, which is kinda like an electronic relay, which fires the coil. The red and white wires can't be used to fire the coil directly. There has to be an igniter in the middle. Does this help?

1592441113320.png

Sorry for being late.
Here is the schematic for the ignition system on a late model 40. The red and white wires go to the Hall Effect sensor inside the distributor. The Hall Effect sensor replaces the points that were inside the distributor in the good old days. The red and white wires go to the igniter, which is kinda like an electronic relay, which fires the coil. The red and white wires can't be used to fire the coil directly. There has to be an igniter in the middle. Does this help?

View attachment 2343450
Ed- as usual, thank you!!!!!!

One more thought... unlike most other electrical things, the coil creates the high voltage spike for the spark plug when the 12 volt circuit is switched off. On older cars with points in the distributor the spark occurs when the cam opens the points, interrupting the flow of current in the 12 volt circuit. Modern coil circuits emulate the same process. How it works; the coil has two windings. Primary winding is the 12V circuit. Secondary winding is the high voltage circuit for the spark plug. Current flowing through the primary 12V winding creates a large magnetic field inside the coil. When the 12V circuit is interrupted, the magnetic field collapses which creates (via induction) the high voltage in the secondary winding which powers the spark plug. Not intuitive that turning off the 12V circuit would create the spark.
🤓

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom