Help me help myself (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings,

I just need some affirmation of what I think I am already going to do. I currently own a 2003 100 Series with 275k miles that I've had for about 7 years. Prior to that I had a 2000 100 for about 7 years. I also own a 2015 GX with 180k miles that I've had since 60k miles (wife's DD). I also owned a 13 GX for a couple of years but stupidly sold it. I also have a 14 BMW 328 wagon that's my DD.

The dilemma: My daughter is getting her driver's license and needs a vehicle to drive. She's a good kid and a pretty good driver. Initially the plan was to give her the 100, but it's been nickel and diming me lately, and I really don't feel comfortable with her taking it up and down the interstate, etc. Don't want her to get stranded if possible; if she was a son I wouldn't be as worried about that lol... Plus while it is mechanically solid, it is pretty worn out otherwise. I mostly use it for hunting and towing at this point. Doubt I will ever get rid of it.

So that leaves me with two options: (1) give her the 15 GX and get my wife a new ride, or (2) get the daughter something of her own. Daughter likes the GX, but being a teenager thinks 4Runners are awesome and really wants a 4Runner. I wouldn't mind getting her one, but I'm looking at $30k for a 2020ish 2wd Sr5 with 60k miles, mostly ex-rentals at this price point. She doesn't need 4wd, but part of me dies at the thought of buying a 2wd 4Runner. If I'm going to spend $30k, the logical (maybe?) part of me says "well, just get wife a 2020ish GX for $40-45k and let her drive it for 10 years." Wife likes the GX and is not opposed to this idea, but she also is ok with getting daughter a vehicle and keeping her current GX.

Option 3 is to get daughter a CUV of some sort like a used NX or a Mazda CX-5, but we're still looking at $25-30k if we go that route. Benefit here is better gas mileage and probably lower insurance/maintenance costs.

Unfortunately there aren't many decent vehicles out there in the $10-$20k range, and I just don't see the logic in spending $20k on something with 150-200k miles. I want wife and daughter in something safe, newish, reliable, and with good visibility. Plus, the "last of the V8 Interceptors" to steal the quote from The Road Warrior, holds some appeal. Again, if daughter was a son, I'd just give him the 100 or get an old Tacoma.

I'm leaning GX, but that is definitely the costliest of the options.

get her something cheap that you don't mind being totaled. personally i'd buy something like corolla/civic/camry/accord. if you are worried about traction i'd buy a high quality set of tires.

i totaled by dad's car when i was a teenager. my dad crashed his dad's tractor when he was in collage. my brother also crashed a few of his first vehicles. so inevitably i expect my son to total one of my vehicles when he learns to drive. then again maybe girls are different.

First off, I absolutely agree with you about it just feeling wrong getting a 2x 4R (or even a Taco). Said and done....

Now, If you can afford it, I would without hesitation go with a ~20ish GX for the wife and give your daughter the 2015 GX.
Reasons:
  1. You know the history of your GX, buying used is always a risk unless you've known the owner.
  2. Getting any other vehicle for your daughter that's only $10 - 15K less than a newer GX for your wife, you could wind up paying the difference in repair bills if you get a lemon vehicle for your daughter.
  3. Your daughter already likes your wife's GX, so you don't have to go through all the hassles of shopping for a car with just the right "color" or "trim" AND assuring it has low miles and clean record. Just give her the 2015 GX and call it done.
  4. Then you can spend time splurging on your wife and treating her to what she'd really like! (Happy wife, happy life!!!)
  5. Your wife will appreciate a newer GX FAR MORE than your daughter will appreciate a car. For your daughter, getting anything will be a treat, but for your wife, treating her to an upgraded GX will probably mean more to her.
Just my thoughts as if it were me (and it was at one time).
Especially considering I have a wife that LOVEs our GX, I have a daughter that we went through this with and we had two 100 series Hundy's. My daughters first vehicle wound up being a 1989 4x4 Toyota pickup and she loved it! She was about the only one of her friends, both girls and guys that could drive a stick shift! The truck was my old work truck.

get her something cheap that you don't mind being totaled. personally i'd buy something like corolla/civic/camry/accord. if you are worried about traction i'd buy a high quality set of tires.

i totaled by dad's car when i was a teenager. my dad crashed his dad's tractor when he was in collage. my brother also crashed a few of his first vehicles. so inevitably i expect my son to total one of my vehicles when he learns to drive. then again maybe girls are different.
What driving school does your family use???

Buy her a preowned RAV4 or Highlander. It'll be cheap to run and rugged and enough for a teen and reliable and cheap to fix for the parent. Teens WILL hit s***, not properly maintain and do stupud stuff, better not to lose the GX or 100 that way.

While I agree in theory, the problem with that is the price of decent used vehicles has skyrocketed. I want her in an SUV for visibility, so Corolla, etc. are out. Even a halfway decent CRV or Rav4 are pushing $20k with 100k + miles. I'm not spending $20k on a 200k mile GX or 4runner at the end of its life. Basically that's what I already have in the '15 GX, which is realistically worth about $20k. So in my mind, why spend that much money on another older vehicle when I'm going to have to get my wife something newer in the next couple of years anyway (she does 25k/year)?

So in my mind, why spend that much money on another older vehicle when I'm going to have to get my wife something newer in the next couple of years anyway (she does 25k/year)?
in that case option (1) makes a lot of sense. i agree that used toyota/honda tend to be overpriced.

My first truck was a hammy down, got it at 120k miles and ran it to 250k before trading it off. Because of my folks taking such meticulous care of it, and through the time I was in school helping me maintain it they got their moneys worth out of a truck that was maybe worth 12k on trade. It got sold 5 years later for 8k with a lot of utility used in it. Give her the GX, its your car, ask that it be respected as such, only give it to her once she's proven to be considerate to the vehicle, scheduled the maintaince for it when it needs it, so on, set the expectation now. Pay for the maintaince, go with her the first time, teach her what to think about as an adult.

On the whole "she'll crash it" thing:

My folks spent a grand on sending me to Bob Bauderant (before it went bankrupt), that did two things, let me get my boyish hooning out, at the time they were driving the G1 CTSv's for their teen driver class. It also made me a really defensive driver, who understood vehicle dynamics. That was 15 years ago, and have yet to wreck or be in a wreck, but have had lots of close calls where had I run out of skill, I would have been upside down in a ditch. And in a tall high center of gravity vehicle with a live rear axel and short wheel base and rotational moment that is quick and unforgiving.

There are generally state run drive schools that are designed for state employees and staff. They will let teens in it. Looks like BMW has a teen program. Think about it this way its one insurance deductible.

Oh and take all the passenger seats out, don't let her be the homie hauler. :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom