Help me choose a tire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After talking to Vince at Wednesday's meeting (I've come to the conclusion that nothing good comes from talking to Vince, does it?). I am seriously considering 17" wheels with some sort of beadlock. Damn you Vince!
After looking at true beadlock rims, I think they are too much of a commitment for me (bolt tightening etc...)

Here is my plan:I am pretty well set on the Pit Bull Rockers and plan to mount them on 17" black Mickey Thompson Classic locks, the idea behind these is they come with a removable rock ring that will protect the rest of the rim and can be swapped out if/when they get too beat up.

Inner bead locks. Either Staun (now Coyote) or inner air locks. Yes, they require some maintenance but you gain dual beadlocks and don't have to tighten and check 128 bolts :bang:.

Doing it this way would also allow me to potentially spread out the expense and avoid dropping over 3 grand in on shot.

Alright, have at it, critique my thought process and post your ideas.

Rough math..

Tires $375x5=$1875
Non Beadlock wheels $207x5=$1035
Inner Air Locks $552 set of 4

Total = $3462 (only 4 beadlocks)

Tires $375x5=$1875
Beadlock wheels $400x5=$2000

Total = $3875 (5 beadlocks)

Difference

$413

With that said, i'm not a fan of the inner tube beadlocks. The advantages are fewer than the disadvantages....

my experiences.... pain in the ass to mount, if the air channel gets blocked for the main air stem, airing the tire down is either not possible or very very slow, specific components to replace.

I have only worked with the Staun beadlocks.

Rough math..

Tires $375x5=$1875
Non Beadlock wheels $207x5=$1035
Inner Air Locks $552 set of 4

Total = $3462 (only 4 beadlocks)

Tires $375x5=$1875
Beadlock wheels $400x5=$2000

Total = $3875 (5 beadlocks)

Difference

$413

With that said, i'm not a fan of the inner tube beadlocks. The advantages are fewer than the disadvantages....

my experiences.... pain in the ass to mount, if the air channel gets blocked for the main air stem, airing the tire down is either not possible or very very slow, specific components to replace.

I have only worked with the Staun beadlocks.

Stump, you brought this upon yourself.

Oh, I know I did. I appreciate different perspectives and Vince is probably the one with the most exposure to/experience with the stuff I am deciding on.

There are always opinions that will fall on either side of an issue, the difference is whether those opinions are a result of 1st hand experiences or "heard from a buddy whose buddy..."

It's also stalling because I can't believe that a set of tires and rims could cost me more than twice what I paid for my 40... I want to do it right the 1st time and know I made the right decision for the long haul.

Sounds like overkill to me. What do you plan on doing that is different than what you have been doing ? You could get some steel wheels a lot less expensive and treat them as disposable and still come out ahead. IMHO

Steve,
I do not disagree, but apparently, Pitbulls are best run at 6-8 psi and at those pressures there is a higher probability of losing a bead or burping air. I like the fact that I don't have to stop and waste time to adjust air pressure.
I think each option regarding beadlocks involves a compromise and both options ultimately cost about the same:

MT rims $207 plus inner air locks $150 = $357

Champion beadlocks with C1 ring = $365

It comes down to personal preference based on a best guess as it seems the majority of people are happy with either decision.

My only lingering question is the fact that a single beadlock only locks the outer bead while the inner lock style locks both beads.

Get some form of OBA and don't worry about it.

Steve,
It comes down to personal preference based on a best guess as it seems the majority of people are happy with either decision.

My only lingering question is the fact that a single beadlock only locks the outer bead while the inner lock style locks both beads.

You might consider how often you will be driving on the street to help you decide.

I dont think you will need beadlocks. I ran my Rockers at 4psi and never had an issue. They would burp a little if they were on a real bind. They were on 17" wheels.

That is great to know... I think I could get the MT classic locks and If I find the tire's are losing air a lot, I can go with an inner beadlock.
I get where Vince was coming from, saying just do it all at once so I won't regret not getting beadlocks in the first place. But I don't think I can actually stomach the total cost of such a move.

That was my problem with getting bead locks with my tires.

LIFE • HEALTH • PROSPERITY

I'm running about the same lift/gearing setup that you are on my 40, and I went with the putbulls and raceline beadlocks. My truck is trailered to events, and it is run fairly hard on the trails - but I do drive it around town, and it has decent road manners.

Vince and Cam are wise men...several folks in F-burg are running this combo, and it seems to work well.

I've attached a pic of my truck with the PB & RL's...let me know if I can help.

pitbull.jpg

What I did... 5 bias IROKs 36x13.5x15 on 15x8 off the shelf black wagon wheels with the typical 3.75 backspace, running 1.5" spacers. At the time they were the tallest mud tire you could get for under $200 per tire. For some reason that particular size bias IROK was priced way less than any other tire in the SS line. I see they now run $311 per tire, WTF!

After seeing pretty much every brand of radial tire destroyed while wheeling due to sticks, stumps, or rocks slicing through the sidewall, and me losing three radials myself, I won't do radials on a wheeling truck any longer. I haven't seen the need for beadlocks with a 13.5" tire on a 8" wheel. I have run them down to 5 psi and never spun a tire on the wheel.

Perhaps I got lucky, because I know Super Swamper has had issues making round tires in their past. But my tires barely flat spot, and while loud on the highway I like them in rain, snow, etc. The road miles I have put on them have taken a toll. They are a soft rubber compound that wears fast on road. But I have a trailer now so I should be able to get a few more years out of them.

Before you commit to beadlocks, and Pitbull tires in particular. Good luck getting that combo to balance. If you trailer everywhere who cares, if you plan to drive on the highway I would seriously reconsider beadlocks and those heavy ass Pitbulls. Everyone seems to love the Pitbulls, but I have never seen them hook up better than any other tire. Their greatest strength seems to be they are indestructible like a SX.

Just my .02

I'm digging this discussion. Headcase: That is a sweet 40! Was that pic at Katemcy? Did you happen to run into Bill Stayner? He guided us through Rubicon in Sept. 2007 and is the reason I have an onboard shower on my 40.

I'd like to pull the trigger sooner rather than later, but apparently my house in Philly needs a new roof. :crybaby:

That being said, I think I will do this in stages, meaning run non-beadlock wheels and tires, see how it goes then try inner beadlocks. I figure, if nothing else, I can try them I give them an honest assessment. I understand that in the long run I won't be saving any money over one option or another and actually might ultimately wind up spending more, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Experience is the best way to learn!!

I think you will be happy with what you end up with!!

I hope so. I did take your your advice very seriously. thanks for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom