Help Installing rear emblems and lettering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After searching around I haven’t seemed to be able to find some helpful information on this. The previous owner took the rear lettering off my 2001 land cruiser. I bought a silver emblem kit to replace the gold Toyota emblems and the original rear lettering. I know a lot of you like the look of no letters but for now I just want mine to look mostly stock.

Since it was already debadged I don’t have any reference for installing the letters. Do you guys know if there is a schematic out there showing the correct placement of these letters. I’ve tried with pictures but it’s hard to get he scale right.

Any help would be appreciated.

I also like badges, I would take it to a body shop and let them do it, they will have access to the proper adhesives and locations. Prob take them half a day.

I also like badges, I would take it to a body shop and let them do it, they will have access to the proper adhesives and locations. Prob take them half a day.

The thing is the install should be really easy I just need the locations. It’s a brand new set so they have adhesive already on them. Just 4 pieces to place.

I didn't realize they had the adhesive.
If thats the case, a body shop could probably install them in about an hr.

I am terrible at things like that so I always hire it done.
I do not have the diagram with measurements you are looking for.

3 minute job, no need for a body shop. The "sombrero" emblem in the center should have 2 guide pins.

I’m sure you could do it easily yourself. Are you just looking for measurements from someone with badges intact? I’d offer but I’m west coast and somebody on the east side could beat me by 3 hours.

I’m sure you could do it easily yourself. Are you just looking for measurements from someone with badges intact? I’d offer but I’m west coast and somebody on the east side could beat me by 3 hours.

Bingo. More measurements the better. I’ve already got the rear sombrero installed since ther are guide pins for that.

Anyone who wants to take these measurements for me will be my hero!

Well, the OP is on the east coast, I’m on the west, so there is 3 hours of daylight on the east side of the country before I would get up to do it. Got it?

Seems like nobody wants to be the one to measure. I had a busy day but I’ll go do it...

Measurements taken from left side at the apex of the radius at bottom of lift gate where it meets the lail light.

906A9911-10A1-442B-8204-44A350ED6E58.jpeg

39630929-A3DF-4142-8D65-BAA22695B76C.jpeg

1BA1A9A2-CCD4-4552-9526-87828F7BDBA5.jpeg

4A4C87E1-569E-47B0-B6F2-274B628370B2.jpeg

6629B45C-DCFD-4E2E-9F61-314BA49714C1.jpeg

You’re welcome. I figured you’d have multiple people measure by now! Where did you get your silver emblem kit from? I need to do mine soon as I can’t stand the gold.

FWIW: The reason I went with the 50th anniversary embel is I like the debadged look so much, when I went to refresh the emblems. But as you found the sombrero has guide holes, so plugged with a new sombrero.

The 98-02 did not have guide holes for the letter badges. This meant I didn't need embel to plug holes. But without something there the paint become damaged from fingers pushing upper door hatch closed. So i looked at various alternatives, including correct letter for the year.

What I don't like about the correct letter was they are hard to clean. Also I'd scratch the paint in the area, and letter will not cover that scratch.

I got down to a short list of two emblems. The one you see. The other choice I liked was the newer Toyota emblem, which is one piece. These one pieces designs would cover the scratch, are much easier to keep clean and give greater protection to paint (cost $130 IIRC). But then I'm back to the full badge look.

Emblem Ideas

It's all about personal choice!

FWIW: The reason I went with the 50th anniversary embel is I like the debadged look so much, when I went to refresh the emblems. But as you found the sombrero has guide holes, so plugged with a new sombrero.

The 98-02 did not have guide holes for the letter badges. This meant I didn't need embel to plug holes. But without something there the paint become damaged from fingers pushing upper door hatch closed. So i looked at various alternatives, including correct letter for the year.

What I don't like about the correct letter was they are hard to clean. Also I'd scratch the paint in the area, and letter will not cover that scratch.

I got down to a short list of two emblems. The one you see. The other choice I liked was the newer Toyota emblem, which is one piece. These one pieces designs would cover the scratch, are much easier to keep clean and give greater protection to paint (cost $130 IIRC). But then I'm back to the full badge look.

Emblem Ideas

It's all about personal choice!

It's definitely a preference thing. I wanted to change out the gold emblems to silver so they match the hub caps and have done that and like the look. Admitting it looks pretty great with nothing there and just the sombrero but i'm still compelled to return it to the stock look. It's a nostalgic vehicle for me so maybe thats the reason. I guess i'll find out once the letters are on. Hopefully it's not a waste of money!

If anyone is looking for that rear emblem in grey I have a brand new extra. I’ll beat the prices from the vendors. I was going to matte black the lettering but the body shop didn’t want the work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom