Help Identifying Bolt - Transfer Case Output Yoke to Driveshaft U-Joint (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In my ongoing pursuit of fixing things that the neglectful folks at Kian Motors in Plano, TX either ignored or were blind...A gearbox rattle, turned to a wobble, turned real quick to a violent shake and I found this.

Does anyone know the part numbers for these bolts? They look like splined press fit bolts. To the left in the attached image is the transfer case output, to the right is the driveshaft.

IMG_9886.JPG

Ouch. Think those are studs, not nuts. Also, I "think" the nuts for those studs are special. Small heads for clearance. You're gonna need thise too.

Do you think there’s a chance the stud is inside the parking brake? Where else could it go?

Ouch. Think those are studs, not nuts. Also, I "think" the nuts for those studs are special. Small heads for clearance. You're gonna need thise too.
Yeah yeah. They're studs, clearly. I don't think the nuts are anything special. They look pretty standard size to me. There is plenty of clearance around that U-Joint. I could be wrong, but it looks like plenty of room to me.

Do you think there’s a chance the stud is inside the parking brake? Where else could it go?
WHAT? Is the parking break inside that little transfer case box (honestly don't know what that little circular assembly is)? I've worked on a lot of cars in my days, but this is my first truck. I'm used to parking breaks inside a drum/disk brake combo or as a separate caliper. If what you are suggesting is that the stud went internal to that assembly (toward the splines), I would be very very surprised since that should be well tapered. Based on the other nuts having backed off, I'm guessing that the splined stud backed out as well. It's also not out of the question that it was never there, since restoration. It is a venezuelan restored truck. The dealership I bought it from could have just been too stupid or negligent to notice. I mean, my rear brake calipers did just fall off the carriers while driving, afterall.

Actually. Just looked at pictures of the other nuts. Yeah they might be a bit of a special part. The flange on the nut is a bit smaller than "normal". If anyone has the part numbers for the nut and studs, I'd be super grateful. I'd be soooooo pumped if this was the sole source of my wobble. Obviously, it's the first place to start.

Yeah yeah. They're studs, clearly. I don't think the nuts are anything special. They look pretty standard size to me. There is plenty of clearance around that U-Joint. I could be wrong, but it looks like plenty of room to me.
The visible C-clips on the U joint make it a 73 or older powertrain. Toyota used a 10mm nut with a 14mm shoulder. Those are readily available. I have several hundred used ones in a box. You are welcome to some with any purchase.

www.marksoffroad.net

The visible C-clips on the U joint make it a 73 or older powertrain. Toyota used a 10mm nut with a 14mm shoulder. Those are readily available
Did the U-Joint assembly change after 73? The truck is a 1982. The engine, frame etc., all match but obviously I can't rule anything out with it being a SA restored vehicle. I'm sure I can find nuts, but it's the studs that are the part # I can't figure out. I actually have some leftover splined studs from when I lifted my 4runner. I'll have to check those and see if by coincidence they are the same.

Yup, no where else it could have gone. You have to pull the brake drum off to fix it. I bet it's there.
That's wild. Would never have guess the parking break would be there. I'm still not sure I understand the idea of it receding into the parking break assembly. The splined female part of the flange would be tapered, narrower, toward the parking brake housing because those are a light press fit. The force on that joint would be pulling the stud / nuts outward, as well, so it would make more sense that the stud would have backed out toward the u-joint and simply fallen out onto the road.

The stud has a shoulder that sits flush inside the drum. Unless it broke, which is possible, it cannot come through the hole. It looks just like a wheel stud.

download (1).jpeg

The stud has a shoulder that sits flush inside the drum. Unless it broke, which is possible, it cannot come through the hole. It looks just like a wheel stud.
Oh, really? Interesting. I just assumed it would be a standard press fit, splined stud. I would assume that most of the axial force on the driveshaft's slip/spline joint would be pressing toward the transfer case, so it would make more sense that the bushings would press fit toward the transfer case. I guess, in the case you mentioned, assuming a well tightened nut, there is only a single point of failure. Any chance you know the part number? I've looked at a bunch of diagrams and can't quite find the right one.

That's wild. Would never have guess the parking break would be there. I'm still not sure I understand the idea of it receding into the parking break assembly. The splined female part of the flange would be tapered, narrower, toward the parking brake housing because those are a light press fit. The force on that joint would be pulling the stud / nuts outward, as well, so it would make more sense that the stud would have backed out toward the u-joint and simply fallen out onto the road.
And if it's being hammered by the driveline it would push inward. While you are in there get a seal kit for the speedo housing.

And if it's being hammered by the driveline it would push inward. While you are in there get a seal kit for the speedo housing.
Well, in my case, it was wobbling so much that the majority of the force was toward the rear...hence the nuts backing off. Do you have a part diagram for that? Is the speedo housing inside that whole parking break assembly?

This is one of my starting points for part numbers. Then you can search vendors here on Mud, online Toyota parts houses or your local dealer.

I'm a "teach a man to fish" kind of guy ;)
That's a great resource, thank you! I'm still having trouble connecting the exact part I am looking for. This diagram appears to show the vicinity of what I should be looking at, but the bolt it shows (37110A in the diagram) provides a part number for a non splined bolt. Clearly, I'm not looking at the right diagram. Could you point me in the direction of the right diagram?

So, this looks like the part I am in search of. I'm just uncertain of the exact part for my model year. The truck is a 1982, but who knows it certain parts were hodge-podged together. The transfer case on the truck, was clearly replaced. It looks quite new in comparison to the original engine/transmission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom