HELP! How to change ignition cyclinder 1989 FJ-70 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

grayfj62turd

SILVER Star
Threads
I've gotten a complete set of locks for my 1989 FJ-70. All have been installed except for the ignition cylinder. From what I've read, it's "SUPPOSED" to be very easy to romove. Well, I beg to differ,. I have removed the plastic clam shell surround panels and lowered the steering column. Again, from on-line videos and commentary, turn the ignition key to ACC and
IMG_0259.jpeg
IMG_0260.jpeg
IMG_0259.jpeg
IMG_0258.jpeg
there should be a hole under the cylinder housing to press and the whole cylinder is supposed to magically slide out - easy peasy. Hmmmmm. Not so easy. I've added pics from my cylinder and nothing I do will release the lock cylinder.

Any clues on what I'm doing wrong?
IMG_0260.jpeg

I have a 1989 LJ70, and it is the same procedure. It does come out. I believe you have to leave the key inside during the procedure. How are you pulling it outward? There is a pin under the cylinder that needs to be totally pressed inside or it will block the removal of the cylinder. Sounds like the pin is getting hung up or not being pressed in totally.

Getting the new cylinder "IN" is actually more tricky if you put a new rubber o-ring gasket on the new cylinder. It is very hard to press in and line up the pin at the bottom since the new rubber is fresh. May need a friend for that to help press it in or leave the new rubber o-ring off if it proves to be an a$$ kicker.

Maybe spray some WD-40 on the cylinder. That may help. Patience, @grayfj62turd !

Last edited:
I believe you have to push a pin or something like that into this hole. Might take some work to get it to release. Once that releases it comes out easy. Only thing is that your new cylinder probably won’t fit since the housing it goes I to will not match the new cylinder, as I found out. You will need the matching housing for the new cylinder

6B64B98C-FDE0-4E5F-B7C4-9BF656008CFE.jpeg

Hello,

You have to put in the key and turn the switch to ACC.

Then you push with a punch or rod in the hole @coldtaco indicated in his picture.

The cylinder should come out after this.

Juan

I believe you have to push a pin or something like that into this hole. Might take some work to get it to release. Once that releases it comes out easy. Only thing is that your new cylinder probably won’t fit since the housing it goes I to will not match the new cylinder, as I found out. You will need the matching housing for the new cylinder

View attachment 2740391
Exactly. Use the short end of a small allen wrench.

Where did you get a matching lock set? I have 4 different keys for my LC: Ignition, front doors, rear door, and gas cap cover....Each one different.
It's also really easy to just rekey the cylinders to all match...

Pull cylinders out (as described above with the key in the lock and it turned while pushing the pin) door is a little different process but still easy

Put the key you "want" in the lock and observe the pins that stick out / are too low (they need to be flush with the cylinder for the key to turn)

Swap the pins to get as close to flush on all as possible with the key you want (if a few are too long it's OK since you can file them down) usually I manage to swap a few around to make the keys match more or less and can file down one or two to get them all flush. worst case if you have one spare cylinder you can usually borrow enough pins to get all the locks working on the same key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom