Help, got tickets to the Coke 600, need advise... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mtbcoach

Threads
Regina bought us tickets to see the NASCAR Coke 600 for a Valentine's Day gift. We have lived in NASCAR country for over 16 years, never attended one out here.

I need an education on the best way to enjoy. Looking at getting a room for at least Sunday night, can only imagine the traffic cluster-phawk after its over. Plan on trolling the pits before so we might get a room for the weekend.

I've been to several events at Laguna Seca, Sears Point and Portland as well as many other racing events, I'll be breaking my virginity for NASCAR so we want to have a good time.

Thanks for helping the noob out...

Agreed with the earplugs. Damn loud rednecks will drive you nuts! ;)

I've been to one Nascar race. Friend of my wife works for Richard Childress Racing and so we ended up with his box seats and pit passes. When we arrived at the track, we showed our tickets and a VIP golf cart took us to the sign in tent. Once in the pits, we tried to get on the track and was told no by a security guy. So I searched the area for the most important looking old man who happened to be "Jimmy" (Very common racing name). Told him, "this sucks, they won't let us on the track" to which he responded... "wait a minute, I've got you" He then walked us past the security guy with a "they're with me nod" - followed by "No problem Jimmy".

Now we're on the start finish line, with about 100 other people for the opening ceremonies. Most of which are military. Out comes the drivers, the Duck Dynasty cast, jets fly overhead.etc, etc.... it was awesome.

Race was great - having great seats helped. During the race, the overhead wire camera broke and fell into the crowd. Race was delayed as they cleaned that up. Super loud out in the stands, behind the glass it wasn't so bad. Especially with a full bar so close by.

My experience is NOT typical. But I think if I had gone the non VIP route it still would have been fun.

PEOPLE WATCHING..... wow.... best part.

Definitely ear plugs. I love loud, but it can get downright painful a couple hours in.

Tailgating is always fun at NASCAR events.

Yes, traffic SUCKS trying to get out.

Agree with tailgate idea just to avoid some traffic. In place of earplugs I recommend a scanner with top quality earphones. Program in team frequencies along with the broadcaster frequencies and "you're off to the races".

NASCAR Sprint Cup Scanner Frequencies
(Ahem .... and being a HAM you'll notice all the frequencies are in the 70 cm band so any $30 dual band Beofeng will work :D)

The 600 is a lonnnng dayum race. Plenty snacks and NA fluids!

Last edited:
Ive been to a few. Traffic is bad, but they have so many lanes out of that place it moves quicker than you expect. I am not a NASCAR guy, but I enjoy going to races. Ive been to several races at several different tracks, and I have found the best way for ME to enjoy a race is to get there early and leave early. The 600 is a loooong race, I have made it few a few BOA 500's and only one 600. We usually get up early and watch Monaco, most of Indy, then head to the track. Its a long great day of racing, outside of Sunday at the Masters its probably my favorite sporting day.

This is how I went a fewwwwwwww years ago. Built that in Alaska and still have it minus the poles. Infield was the best place to be. Never in a hurry to leave, nowhere to go.
IMG_0094.JPG

Infield for the weekend, if you can stand the goobers surrounding you, can be a hoot. Grandstand seating will be a bit more "involved" to get to. Sunscreen, hat/sunglasses, lots of water, advil, and either earplugs or scanner/earmuffs. also a couple of cheap ponchos for the rain they say never comes...Depends if youre hardcore and dont wanna get up to go potty...given na$car's penchant for unlimited caution flags, every 8 minutes, whether they need one or not...you should have plenty of chances to go potty and not miss anything.

The issue with traffic isnt right at the track, its i85 and hwy 49. Specially where it chops down in the construction zones.

Most hotels typically have multi day rate rules around race weeks. You may have to do 2 nights to get the rate.

Just remember, pack tall boys to crack open at 9am. However drunk you think you are, you will most definitely be the least drunk person there.....so be careful.

IMG_0854.PNG
I've been three times and all at Charlotte. The most fun we had was when my lab Sunshine was the grand marshall for ALPO at the race. She had a press conference and we rode around in a golf cart with the PRN crew.

I have stayed at the Hilton before and you can walk to and from the race - very entertaining and no traffic to deal with. I would recommend any three of these hotels right off the interstate and within walking distance.

I haven't camped infield before, but that is what I'd like to do next time

PEOPLE WATCHING..... wow.... best part.

I 2nd the people watching. I grew up about 30 min from Talledega.

First time I went I had weekend passes so we went early to watch the Busch Race on Saturday. My seats were a few rows behind the flag box. Tony Stewart finished the race upside down sliding across the finish line. Pretty epic.

Second time I went we camped and it rained all weekend. Thousands of Nascar fans camping.... drinking...I wont go into details but Ive seen things. So yea, People watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom