Thanks for the help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Speechless and incredibly sad to read this, Eric. I've not been very active in ONSC for a while, but man we have had some good times in the past! I sure hope you will let us know what we can do to help support you in these difficult times.

Same here on all fronts - really hate to hear this, would be glad to help in any way to make sure your remaining days are epic! Just let us know what's on the list brother.

Not much that I can say that hasn't already been said, but just know that we're always here for you bud. All you gotta do is let us know how we can help you make the most of whatever time is left.

Friends of Eric Forrest,

I have great news to share with you! Eric was given a false diagnosis of late stage bone cancer. Read that again and let it sink in...a FALSE diagnosis. He's going to be okay. I just spoke to him and he is literally shedding tears of joy right now. So here's what happened...hang on...it's a roller coaster ride, so strap in and hold on.

After his throat cancer treatment, things were going well. He kicked ass with the chemo and radiation and he was feeling great. He was getting stronger. His taste was coming back. Everything was going the way it was supposed to. Months after being released from treatment, the doctor requested a PET scan, a standard test to determine that the cancer is indeed in remission and based on that scan, Eric would either go back to work and get on with his life as a cancer-free person, or not. Eric's last PET scan showed late stage bone cancer, a diagnosis that took him and his doctor completely by surprise. With that diagnosis, he was given 6 months at best. That's all he knew. That's what the doctor told him. He was obviously devastated. We all were. This was the point at which he started this thread, thinking that his time was drawing near.

Here's where things take a turn for the better. Months ago, Eric, while still undergoing treatment for throat cancer, had a minor axe throwing accident. Yeah, that's our boy. I was there. It didn't involve an axe as much as it involved Eric picking up a mobile axe throwing target by the wrong end and having it fling him across the yard like a trebuchet by his right arm. Anyway, he tore some ligaments in his shoulder. He told me for weeks that his shoulder hurt way worse than his throat. Last week Eric had an appointment with an orthopedic doctor about his shoulder. He had some X-rays. Typical stuff. He's going to have to have his shoulder worked on. No big surprise there. What did come as a surprise was that his ortho doc saw absolutely zero evidence of bone cancer in the X-rays of his shoulder. In fact, everything but the ligaments looked really good...so good that the ortho doctor called Eric's oncologist and questioned his bone cancer diagnosis. The doctors collaborated and determined a mistake had been made. On the day that Eric was given the bone cancer diagnosis, the doctor was reading a PET scan from another person with a similar name as Eric's and with the same birth date as Eric's. It was not Eric's PET scan. Eric does not have bone cancer after all! This crazy story just unfolded earlier today. Needless to say, Eric is beyond ecstatic in knowing that his days are not so numbered after all. He did tell me that he feels bad for the other guy who will now be given the bad news. Nobody deserves that. Eric is enjoying a couple of cold ones right now (I know I would too if I were him) and he asked me to post this on his behalf.

Eric has, in a way, been given a new lease on life. We should all be so fortunate. In honor of Eric Forrest, let's all make it a point to share a smile or a word of encouragement to someone who needs it. Life is short. Make it count.

Last edited:
Friends of Eric Forrest,

I have great news to share with you! Eric was given a false diagnosis of late stage bone cancer. Read that again and let it sink in...a FALSE diagnosis. He's going to be okay. I just spoke to him and he is literally shedding tears of joy right now. So here's what happened...hang on...it's a roller coaster ride, so strap in and hold on.

After his throat cancer treatment, things were going well. He kicked ass with the chemo and radiation and he was feeling great. He was getting stronger. His taste was coming back. Everything was going the way it was supposed to. Months after being released from treatment, the doctor requested a PET scan, a standard test to determine that the cancer is indeed in remission and based on that scan, Eric would either go back to work and get on with his life as a cancer-free person, or not. Eric's last PET scan showed late stage bone cancer, a diagnosis that took him and his doctor completely by surprise. With that diagnosis, he was given 6 months at best. That's all he knew. That's what the doctor told him. He was obviously devastated. We all were. This was the point at which he started this thread, thinking that his time was drawing near.

Here's where things take a turn for the better. Months ago, Eric, while still undergoing treatment for throat cancer, had a minor axe throwing accident. Yeah, that's our boy. I was there. It didn't involve an axe as much as it involved Eric picking up a mobile axe throwing target by the wrong end and having it fling him across the yard like a trebuchet by his right arm. Anyway, he tore some ligaments in his shoulder. He told me for weeks that his shoulder hurt way worse than his throat. Anyway, last week Eric had an appointment with an orthopedic doctor about his shoulder. He had some X-rays. Typical stuff. He's going to have to have his shoulder worked on. No big surprise there. What did come as a surprise was that his ortho doc saw absolutely zero evidence of bone cancer in the X-rays of his shoulder. In fact, everything but the ligaments looked really good...so good that the ortho doctor called Eric's oncologist and questioned his bone cancer diagnosis. The doctors collaborated and determined a mistake had been made. On the day that Eric was given the bone cancer diagnosis, the doctor was reading a PET scan from another person with a similar name as Eric's and with the same birth date as Eric's. It was not Eric's PET scan. Eric does not have bone cancer after all! This crazy story just unfolded earlier today. Needless to say, Eric is beyond ecstatic in knowing that his days are not so numbered after all. He did tell me that he feels bad for the other guy who will now be given the bad news. Nobody deserves that. Eric is enjoying a couple of cold ones right now (I know I would too if I were him) and he asked me to post this on his behalf.

Eric has, in a way, been given a new lease on life. We should all be so fortunate. In honor of Eric Forrest, let's all make it a point to share a smile or a word of encouragement to someone who needs it. Life is short. Make it count.
Well that's the best news I've heard in a LONG time! So happy for you Eric... but don't give up on that bucket list brother!!!

Alright I'm ratting him out because he won't do it himself.

Eric's Not-Kicking-The-Bucket List

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum
Utah Wheeling Trip
Tool live in concert (Tickets)
To Be Continued! Please, scheme up something fun with our friend.

A celebration for Eric was being planned but now we are just planning a celebration, period. Since the holidays are so busy we had discussed January - which, does coincide with Tool in CLT.

Maybe a meetup during the day of concert? Weekend camping (although I know a number of y'all won't winter camp, boo)

Any thoughts welcomed.

YAY Eric. Love you.

FANTASTIC NEWS!!
So great to read this …. But agreed the list is still there and needs tackling. Looking forward to the next opportunity to share a cold one buddy 🍻

Wow. That is great news for you brother. With all the bad in this world, it is so refreshing to hear some good. What a weight that has been lifted from your shoulders.

Awesome news.

Great news!

Man, unbelievable news... SOOOOO glad to hear this!!!

Wow!!

This is so awesome.

Eric congratulations on the good news.

Let me know when you want to go to Moab and the landcruiser museum. I’m ready when you are.

Enjoy a cold one buddy

Edit:

Dave, thanks for the update!!

**** yes. Best possible news.

So, when does he file lawsuit with the hospital?

f*** yes. Best possible news.

So, when does he file lawsuit with the hospital?
Johnny, that is a legitimate question. Having been given such a bad prognosis and limited time on this earth, Eric has been busy these last few weeks making arrangements to pass along his assets and possessions. He has taken legal measures to move assets to family members. He told me last night that he literally owns nothing. I would expect that there should be some restitution paid to Eric for all this time, trouble and general upending of life as he knows it. I don't want to speak for him any more than I have been asked to do, but I know if I were in his shoes, I'd be thinking seriously about taking legal action. I know right now he's just happy that things are not as bad as he thought they were going to be.

Johnny, that is a legitimate question. Having been given such a bad prognosis and limited time on this earth, Eric has been busy these last few weeks making arrangements to pass along his assets and possessions. He has taken legal measures to move assets to family members. He told me last night that he literally owns nothing. I would expect that there should be some restitution paid to Eric for all this time, trouble and general upending of life as he knows it. I don't want to speak for him any more than I have been asked to do, but I know if I were in his shoes, I'd be thinking seriously about taking legal action. I know right now he's just happy that things are not as bad as he thought they were going to be.

He was telling me the same thing last night. It's not bad that all that stuff is set up for his kids/grandkids, because now he can relax and enjoy life and not worry about that crap. The cause for doing all of that definitely sucks, but there's a sliver lining.

He told me he'd be at the Christmas party, so I'm very much looking forward to that.

@GLTHFJ60 said exactly what a lot of us were thinking. Also, when are we doing something nice for the other Erik that is getting the “real” bad news?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom