Help! Front input transfer case seal H2FA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

Sorry in advance, I didn’t have much luck finding any info on this. I just picked up my first LC 100. It has a leak coming from the transfer case on the front seal.

I bought the seal today and have removed the front drive shaft and separated the front part of the transfer case housing. Unfortunately I’m not able to pull the housing off as the transmission oil pan is in the way.

Does anyone have information on how to change this seal out? Do I need to pull the whole transfer case?

Were you able to remove the transfer case front housing without removing the transmission pan?

I ended up sealing it back up for now. I got an appointment at valley hybrids in Stockton to do it for me.

Sometimes a weekend mechanic has to know his limits haha. That explains why there’s not too much info or a DIY on this forum regarding this seal

Pull tcase
I had a local shop look at my truck and they are under the impression that the entire transmission has to be removed in order to reach all of the bolts holding the tcase on. Can you confirm if this is correct?

I had a local shop look at my truck and they are under the impression that the entire transmission has to be removed in order to reach all of the bolts holding the tcase on. Can you confirm if this is correct?

Have pulled t-case on both an 100 and an 80 and do not need pull transmission. Using a jack under transmission pan to lower back of transmission a little after crossmember is out, makes it easier to access bolts. Have a good way to fasten t-case to jack used to remove it!!!! Search for posts here about how.

Incorrect. 6 bolts and it's off. Don't ignore the random sensors and crap

Thanks guys. I will not be taking my 100 to the shop that said the entire transmission has to come out! @Skidoo I was able to find a well written post from 2017 outlining the removal of the rear tcase extension. I almost think I can do this myself after reading this!

Transfer case rear output shaft oil seal and bearing removal and installation

@nukegoat is correct that the tcase will have to get pulled to access the front seal, and that might be a little out of my league.

Did you DIY or take it to a shop? my front seal is leaking a little bit and I have a big trip next month I'm trying to get ready for.

You can do it yourself, but you do need access to a press. I tried to Jerry rig a number of things, but ended up buying a press. You might find a local shop that would press the shafts.

You definitely need to pull the t-case for the front output shaft. The rear can be done with the t case on the truck.

You also can replace your oil and add AT205. It stopped my leak for 18months before I had to replace the seals.

Did you DIY or take it to a shop? my front seal is leaking a little bit and I have a big trip next month I'm trying to get ready for.
There is a good video on youtube that shows how to do the front seal. Regardless of front or rear seal the housing has to come off of the transfer case. I did the rear seal and did a thread. It was not bad, my first time doing it, doesn't use a press either as there were nothing on tight fit like an axle bearing.

I took mine to a local shop in Tucson called The Toy Store. They did a much better job than I could have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom