Hello for the first time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First I have to say what a great forum and wealth of information!

Just received my 82 FJ45 Trooper for Australia. You can say it was somewhat of an impulse/emotional buy from an infamous e*** site. The car looked great and the description said it was in good original shape, so I got it without having sent someone to inspect it. DO NOT DO IT!!!! JUST DON'T!

It took almost 4 months for it to arrive and right away there were issues. The electrical system was intermittent, so the transporter could not start it for about a month on the docks. Brakes were in such a bad shape that is would make a 90 degree turn when applied. It turned out that the entire system needed to be rebuilt. The lines were completely rusted through and all the cylinders except one were seized. Master brake cylinder is leaking. Knuckles need rebuilding as the oil is seeping from the differential. Clutch master cylinder is leaking oil. Cooling system is full of Aussie dirt. The engine has a miss on cylinders 3 and 4, and the carb has been backfiring for a while. And the list goes on and on... All they did was slap a lipstick on a pig and sold it. And unfortunately I fell for it.

But it is a cool trooper that I wanted for a while now, so the game of getting it up and running begins. There are no plans to make it a show car, but to make it into a reliable driver.

IMG_5607 copy.png

Nice Troopy! Welcome to Mud and good luck fixing it up. :)

Mechanical you can fix. If the body is good you have most of the parts especially in the interior you will come out ahead. She is lovely.

If anyone needs help in Australia I have a retired mechanic who could check vehicles for members.

Scott Fasken

Sorry for your buying experience but she's a gorgeous troopy.

It's just disappointing that she has as many issues based on the seller description as none of the items were mentioned. She was suppose to be a driver. I'll deal with it. First order of business is getting her road worthy and ready for Chicago winter. It will be driven! Frame got cleaned, prepped and painted with POR15. Undercoating was done as there is no rust on her. Everything was stripped from the engine compartment as it has a bunch of surface rust, so it will be sanded and painted. It was a busy weekend.

Just ordered EFI from Norm at Affordable Fuel Injection. Need to get new brake and cylinder masters as they are not rebuildable. Dirt and grime pitted cylinder walls, so they cannot be rebuilt. Hopefully all the stuff will be here for the weekend.

I'm surprised that the master cylinders are un-rebuildable.
Make friends with @beno, he will be a good resource and can get you any part you will need.
Crazy good prices as well.

Nice looking troops!

Sorry it is a POS i got a buddy who just brought a trayback from Aus and it has tons of blowy on the motor and all seals leak. Great yuor frame is painted but it will eat your body panels period! Park it for 5 months a year and you will be happy for decades

Nice looking troops!

Sorry it is a POS i got a buddy who just brought a trayback from Aus and it has tons of blowy on the motor and all seals leak. Great yuor frame is painted but it will eat your body panels period! Park it for 5 months a year and you will be happy for decades

I have not tested the compression yet, but the head and valve cover are definitely leaking a bit of oil. I did get an overhaul kit, so that may be a winter project - yank the engine and trans out and go through it. Now I just need to get it on the road and enjoy it a bit. :)

Yes enjoy till the snow flies. In the winter i only take my 42 out when its -20 or colder as there is no slush or salt around haha and it only goes out a few times over the winter. This winter it might not leave the garage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom