HELL YEAH!!!! I love this thing! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok folks, this is my first post. I've been reading some of the posts on this awesome board, and when I read 'Ultimate FJ80 must-haves' I got pumped and had to write my own. I got my first Cruiser 3 weeks ago just a few days days before my family's reunion. We rented a cabin in Pine Mtn Club, a little past Frazier Park. While driving around up there that first day I noticed quite a few 4x4 trails leading back into the hills and I was getting anxious to try my new rig out. So the second day we decided to go exploring so we drove down to Frazier Park to gas up. I asked a guy at the hardware store if he knew of any "good" 4x4 trails we could hit. This guy turned out to be really cool and said he knew just the place and proceeded to rip off a piece of cardboard and draw me a rough map. He said a couple of his friends went there regularly and that it was a tough trail that might need spotters in some places. 'Oooh, spotters :D' I thought. Sounds like my kinda trail.
Oh, a few quick specs on my Cruiser: 1997 FZJ80 40th anniversary eddition, ALL the opptions, pwr everthing, two tone leather, 3 locking diffs!! (my fav).
So off we went. Turns out this 4x4 trail was Lockwood Canyon Trail. It was a little daunting when I first looked at it but I said what the hell, lets see what this thing can do. -Now I have a pretty decent amount offroad experience. My first 4x4 being an '83 Toyota pickup in high school.(loved it!) Then an '88 Jeep Wrangler Sahara eddition. (Great trail rig)-
So I put it in low, locked it up and started up. WOW!!!
This thing was friggin amazing. It went where ever I pointed it. Didn't even break a sweat. And its all stock. Tires, suspension etc.
All this to say this is by far the best 4x4 vehicle I have ever driven!
Sorry if I rambled. Just pretty stoked.
Anyway, this is a great site. Happy cruisin.

James

Congratulations on the new truck. Your "Dark Green" is officially known as 6M1 or Emerald Green. That is most likely the best feature on your truck. Only the best Cruisers came in 6M1.

BTW, J**p is a four letter word.

Yeah...well that dark green, like my '97 dark blue, after a couple of tight trails will look like shiot!!!

Then the best thing WILL be those lockers!!!!

Wait till ya get some better suspension......sweeeeeett!

Yeah Ive already got a few of those scratches on the sides. Oh well, what the hell did I buy it for anyway?
It's so cool though to be able to do some serious offroading in such a luxurious rig. I mean its got just about everything. Except that stupid dashboard cup holder :mad:. This is their top of the line model and they couldn't put one in. what were they thinking? Boneheads.

On a different subject though, I am about 90% sure I'll be putting a super charger in by summer. Just have to do all the research and find out which one is best.

James,

Welcome to non-lurking status.

>> ... and find out which one is best. <<

Well, your research is now over. There is only one; the TRD S/C unless you're planning to build some type of custom S/C set up.

Edition is spelled with one 'd.' You can use the extra one to replace your burned out D.

:D

-B-

Could've sworn Safari made one.
Oh yeah, that D thing...hilarious;). Now that I know there are a few sharp tacks in here I'll have to break out the dikshonarry and um, my uh...whats another word for thesaurus? :flipoff2:

James,
Safari offered a turbocharger for a while. It was available through SOR and a few authorized installers only. The skuttlebutt is there are none available in the US. You can do a search and find out more, along with Christo's experiments with the turbo and the status on his "plans" for importing more kits.

There are few sharp tacks in here but some of us prefer to read posts without wasting precious brain cells trying to figure out what people are trying to say with their atrocious spelling.

And no fAvE... this jab was not meant for you in particular. :D

-B-

-B people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. MAF not SOR!

wHATever bouewolf.
FaVe

Right, thats what I thought. And I think I saw it on an Aussi site.
But thats why I wanted to research it, 'cause if the safari unit has a distinct advantage over the TRD unit I wouldn't hesitate to ship one over.

James

Congradulations 80 & getting out of the heep :slap:

Lockwood valley trails are fun / easy / moderate trails! Did you run the entire "Heep Miller Trail"?

Now the Turbo is NO LONGER available for the 80 series, unless you find a used one on ebay. The TURBO that Specter lists is for the 100 Series!

Only the TRD / Kazuma Supercharger is available, like Mr. English Prof mentions :flipoff2:

Joe

James,

Congratulations and welcome to the group. Great story! I’m soooo jealous.

All the hills around here in South Louisiana are ant hills, I need to take a

trip to Arkansas this winter for some snow… god I miss snow.

Hopefully I speeled and spaced everything cowrectly to appease the goose-stepping

Wordsmiths. :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Lothar

[quote author=Lothar80 link=board=2;threadid=8268;start=msg70328#msg70328 date=1070406975] the goose-stepping

Wordsmiths. :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Lothar

[/quote]

FIRE IN THE HOLE :flipoff2:

(Do expect a longish retort in Beonese)

>> ... goose-stepping Wordsmiths. <<

Hey Woody! Haven't I been around long enuf for a title of mi own? I lyke dis won.

-B-

Well hey, that just made my decision a whole lot easier. ::) So anyone want to hit me with some personal experience 411. ie. price, instalation issues, durability, fuel economy, performance etc. Thanks

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=8268;start=msg70397#msg70397 date=1070415608]
>> ... goose-stepping Wordsmiths. <<

Hey Woody! Haven't I been around long enuf for a title of mi own? I lyke dis won.

-B-

[/quote]

:D :D :D took me a while to come up with that one, I guess I deserve a :slap:

Hmmm , trying to remember back a few decades to English class ....

It may have been the Grave Diggers scene [ Act V , Scene II ]:

"How absolute the knave is! we must speak by the card, or equivocation will undo us..."

T - Bathing in asbestos ... out damned spot !!

James,
Rule #6. When we hijack your thread, it is extremely rude to try and regain control. Just start a new one.

-Goose Stepping Wordsmith-

(Kinda rolls off the tongue, doncha think?)

LOL . OK guys, F@#k it, its yours. Run with it, but do me proud. I want ranting and rambling off on tangents. Randon topics and inane attempts at witty retorts. :flipoff2:
Hve fun...FIRE IN THE HOLE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom