Heating BMW seats (using BMW parts) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

red66toy

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hello everyone!
So after reading way too many BMW forum posts, I figured out how to use the factory installed seat heat mats.
I have not fully completed this install, however I have tested the wiring setup listed below and my seats heated up very nicely.
Supplies I used:
-2000 328ci BMW seats with factory heat and the body side plugs (plus a short length of wire).
-Two rear seat heater switches from a BMW e38/e39. These are cheap in ebay. I chose these switches because I liked the idea of BMW seat heater switches controlling BMW heated seats. Also these switches are small and have a nice heat adjustability wheel on them. I made sure to get the rear plug with a short length of wire that connects to the back of the switch. The seller on ebay gladly included it for free with the switch.
-30amp power source and 12ga wire to run from the source to both heat switches. The BMW wiring diagrams show a 15amp fused power source for both seats but I had just installed one of the awesome relay accessory blocks that @slcfj62 makes and it had a spare 30amp relay slot open.
-14ga and 18ga wire to run from the switches to the seats
- Because I didn't have the wires and terminals in the body side plug I ordered:
Two 61130005197 wire terminals. Purchased from ECS tuning
Four 61138364834KT wire terminals. Purchased from ECS tuning

First, after I got the seats I had to check if they were indeed factory heated seats, to figure this out I looked under the seats and looked for the terminals in locations 23, 24, and 25:
23615129536_8294491490_z.jpg

Pin 23 under the seat is the negative thermal coefficient (NTC) signal terminal (I'll explain in a sec)
Pin 24 is ground
Pin 25 is hot
So once I established that the seats were factory wired for heat, next I turned my attention to the yellow body side plug that connects to the yellow socket under the seat:
23014384753_01ef608793_z.jpg

Unfortunately, my plug did not have seat heater electrical terminals already installed in the three slots (23, 24, 25) indicated by the white arrow in the previous photo.
To install these terminals, I first removed the black cover indicated by the yellow arrow in the previous picture.
Next I securely installed the 61130005197 terminal and attached wire pictured below (with enough length wire to reach the switch location in the center console) and slid it into the 23 slot in the yellow plug. This is the NTC connection that will tell the heater switch when the seat is hot enough so it doesn't get too hot.
23014479823_c724f2755e_z.jpg

Next I securely installed 14ga wire into the 61138364834KT terminals pictured below(with enough length to reach the switch location in the center console) and slid each connector into the 24 (ground) and 25 (hot) slots in the yellow plug.
23614949776_9d9ef4ecd6_z.jpg

23579488991_09863150d7_z.jpg

23553383862_d4f79a2358_z.jpg

Once I had all three terminal slots filled on each of the yellow plugs I slid the protective black cover back onto the plug. I did this for both seats.

Once the plugs were wired up, I turned my attention to the switches. This is what they look like and here is the wire labeling:
22148661533_ba9d19b986_z.jpg

22147013194_f18520f4d7_z.jpg

As for switch mounting this is where I plan to mount my switches (they are not pressed in all the way in the photos). They do fit nicely and flush in the slots. Might need a tiny trim/shim around the edges.
23012876084_f4f68b3dcd_z.jpg

23013973693_a0816b0ae2_z.jpg

So here is how I wired the switches to the seats:
I ran the hot fused wire to the pin-3 wire on both the switches, they share the same power source wire according to BMW schematics. Then for each switch separately: from switch Pin-5 and 6 I routed the wire to Pin-25 wire under the respective seat for that switch. The Pin-23 wire under the seat was connected to pin-2 wire on the switch to supply the negative thermal coefficient (NTC) signal. Pin-1 on the switch connects to a night illumination 12v source. Finally I connected the pin-24 ground wire and the switch pin-4 wire to a good ground source.

The switches have a built in voltage monitor and the seats don't really heat unless the truck is running so the battery doesn't run down. Pretty cool feature. Very happy with this setup!!
I am happy I can finally contribute something worthwhile to this great forum of cruiser knowledge. :cheers:

UPDATE 1/4/2021:
I am finalizing the install of these switches and to confirm how they work I hooked them up to a power supply. I tested two styles of E46/E39 heat switches and both work the same way. Heat is regulated by pulsing the power. High heat setting results in longer power cycles and low power setting results in short cycles of power (you can see this in the video). Based on this. You can wire these switches to trigger a relay to supply power to the seats, or have power run through them like BMW did. It looks like one seat draws about 7.5-8amps of power so fuse accordingly.

Last edited:
Nicely done, I'm getting more and more interested in the BMW seat swap...

Nicely done, I'm getting more and more interested in the BMW seat swap...
Thanks! I find the BMW seats to be very comfortable, however some people don't so its a matter of personal choice. I like that they don't look too out of place in the cruiser and have power adjustment to get the position just right. Definitely happy with the swap, plus its super easy with the Tor brackets.

It would appear that if you don't use the BMW switch with the NTC capability, you'd just have 1-speed heated seats (high setting), whenever the switch is on, correct? I was thinking of using generic switches from a Subaru or an eBay supplier.

Hmmm, maybe? The NTC signal does tell the switch when the seat has reached the set temperature, so I guess if you used another switch and took the NTC wire out of the equation then maybe it would just be on high. However, this is something you will have to test and report back! It would be good to know other switch options that work with the BMW seat heat mats. Maybe check the wiring for a subaru heated seat first to see what kind of power they need. Wouldn't want the subaru switch to supply too much juice and overcook the seats. I am by no means an electrical expert so maybe that is not even an issue. :meh:

There is also this e36 heated seat switch that I might try to see if it would work. Simple high and low setting and rear wiring looks similar:
s-l225.jpg

So just a quick update. I found a schematic online and it indicates that the wiring is the same as what I posted for the e38 switch. I ordered a cheap one on ebay and I'll report back my results later.

OK, I have the BMW seats, wired for heat, and the plug is identical to yours. My seat switches look like yours, but only 5 wires, and the plug is yellow, not red. The one thing I know was the NTC location, because it was a white,blue tracer wire, so I assumed it to be pin 2, like your switch. So using that as a basis, I have the following

Pin 1--Gray/red tracer-------Switch illumination
Pin 2--White/blue Tracer-----NTC
Pin 3--Green/black tracer---12V Fused
Pin 4--Purple/black tracer---Ground
Pin 5--White/yellow tracer---Seat Heat Element
Pin 6--Blank

So how do I know if this is right? Both my switches are the same.

OK, I have the BMW seats, wired for heat, and the plug is identical to yours. My seat switches look like yours, but only 5 wires, and the plug is yellow, not red. The one thing I know was the NTC location, because it was a white,blue tracer wire, so I assumed it to be pin 2, like your switch. So using that as a basis, I have the following

Pin 1--Gray/red tracer-------Switch illumination
Pin 2--White/blue Tracer-----NTC
Pin 3--Green/black tracer---12V Fused
Pin 4--Purple/black tracer---Ground
Pin 5--White/yellow tracer---Seat Heat Element
Pin 6--Blank

So how do I know if this is right? Both my switches are the same.
Thanks for the reply/reminder I need to finish up my install.

So does your switch have 5 pins as well to match the 5 wire plug? Do you know what model year they came from?

Thanks for the reply/reminder I need to finish up my install.

So does your switch have 5 pins as well to match the 5 wire plug? Do you know what model year they came from?

The switches are out of a 1996 BMW740iL. The switch has 6 pins, as does the plug. Just 1 empty.

The seats are out of a 2001 BMW3301 and they are heated back and bottom, so the 3 wires you were missing were already in my car side plug

My guess is that the switch uses just one wire to control the back and bottom (like our newer seats use). Like I said in my write up, you really only need to use the pin- 5 wire to trigger the seats to hear. The pin-6 wire is not really necessary. I would guess all the other wires are the same. I think BMW stuck with the same wiring design for a while with those switches. However, probably good to try and find a wiring diagram online to make sure if you want.

Thanks @red66toy for the leg work on this one. I finally got around to wiring my seat heaters and it was pretty straightforward with your descriptions above.

My seats are out of of a '96 E36 and I was able to get both sides of the wiring harness for them. I picked up the switches from someone here on Mud. They fit nicely in the factory dash blanks with no modifications and the BMW red illumination matches my changed to red dash lights.

Both the back and seat heater elements turn on even through my switch was also missing the Pin-6 discussed above. They went from 74° to 87° in about 5 mins.

Thanks @red66toy for the leg work on this one. I finally got around to wiring my seat heaters and it was pretty straightforward with your descriptions above.

My seats are out of of a '96 E36 and I was able to get both sides of the wiring harness for them. I picked up the switches from someone here on Mud. They fit nicely in the factory dash blanks with no modifications and the BMW red illumination matches my changed to red dash lights.

Both the back and seat heater elements turn on even through my switch was also missing the Pin-6 discussed above. They went from 74° to 87° in about 5 mins.

View attachment 1992145

View attachment 1992146

View attachment 1992147

View attachment 1992149

View attachment 1992148
Yes!!!!! I STILL have not finished this install. On my list of projects. Definitely before this winter. I’m so happy I was able to help. Enjoy the heat. :beer:

Wow been a while and I am JUST now getting around to finalizing this install. hahaha.
I got the switches mounted where I want them with some ABS shims.
Ripping the seats out tomorrow so I can start wiring under the carpet.

In case this is helpful to anyone in the future:
The source for the illumination power is going to be the wire supplying the transmission gear selector lights. The connector and terminals are right there under the center console. Taking apart the connectors it looks like the terminals are Sumitomo 1500-0106 MT (female) and Sumitomo 1500-0105 MT (male). Plan is to unlock and pull out the male terminal that gets the light switched voltage. Undo the factory terminal and splice in my tap wire into a new terminal with the factory wire for a clean and seamless tap.
50794204476_8113f86542_c.jpg

Added some updates to the initial post for everyone's info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom