Heater Hose T's - Do NOT Wait!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Change my hoses and T's. 2006 Model with 140k miles.

I'm glad I changed them out today. Very close to a T failure. T broke with a slight pull of the hose.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1433000215.171575.jpg

Got mine changed when I got the timing belt, water pump, etc. done. Thanks to OP, mine weren't that bad but seemed like a good idea.

Just ordered up the brass ones and all those hoses plus new Rad hoses and Breeze clamps for all... thanks to everyone for the heads up and relevant info....

Replaced mine today. 149k on the clock on the 2004. T's were fine, but I noticed that one of the hoses was leaking coolant slightly on the opposite end.

Did my '00 today while I was doing the t-stat (though not really related other than draining some coolant. It was much easier on the '04 last year with no tranny dipstick in the way. Either way, I couldn't imagine doing this without new hoses, since cutting them off was the only reasonable way to do this job.

What size are the ends? I saw 1 post of using a pex tube fitting of 3/4 on 2 ends and 1/2 on the leg of the T. Our 08 Sequoia has the same fittings and I would like to save a breakdown.

187,000, Toyota Red+water Wetter from day 1, changed on a 2 year (or so) schedule. Changed T's only...hoses were still soft and in good condition.

One T pretty much disintegrated (the outer) when touched, the other was fine. The tool in the picture made this job a breeze...Spent most of the time digging out the remnants form the broken T. Glad I did this.

Ed

OP here. Our 1999 is gone, and we now have a 2005 with 120k on the clock. Changed the T's a couple of days ago. One of them crumbled when I was disassembling the hoses. Replaced both T's and all the heater hoses with OEM.

Mine weren't as bad as some (165k), but the job is pretty easy considering what the downside could be. I replaced T's and hoses with OEM, cut the hoses off for easy access. Good feeling.

IMG_2509 (1).jpg

I wish I could answer that question, but I don't have the expertise to do so with any confidence. Having said that, I'm almost certain that some of that debris has fallen into the system on my 2 LC's when changing the T's, and I didn't retrieve it...and I've had no trouble. BUT, don't rely on my response. I'm just a novice at all of this!!!

I suggest pull the whole hose than swap the t, than the pieces that fall off are accounted for.

On the other hand, I wouldn't worry about the small pieces that are disintegrating.

Pull the hoses and Ts out as a whole unit. Then , once off the truck you pull the hoses off the T. Very low chance of dropping plastic bits into the system that way. You should be replacing all the hoses anyway at this age.

My buddy Justin did me a favor and helped or shall I say changed my Tees. The clamp points were not easy to access because they were down. Vice grips with a caliper type head made it easy to swivel the clamps up. Then a clamp wrench did the ticket.

Mine is an '02 with 140k miles. At first the Tees didn't look to bad. However, both were breaking down on the fire wall side.

First pic is new next to old.

IMG_20160605_112321128.jpg
IMG_20160605_112426328.jpg
IMG_20160605_112454570.jpg
IMG_20160605_112426328.jpg

can someone post up the part numbers for the hoses? I am having a heck of a time finding them on the coolant part diagrams. I would like to do the full swap, hoses and t's.

can someone post up the part numbers for the hoses? I am having a heck of a time finding them on the coolant part diagrams. I would like to do the full swap, hoses and t's.

I don't have the part numbers off hand but I just messaged @beno and he sent me all the hoses and T's. Made it super easy.

Years 1998-2002
87245-6A180 x1
87245-6A210 x1
87245-6A190 x1
87245-6A220 x1
87245-6A201 x1
99556-20200 x1

Years 2002-2006
87245-6A180 x 1
87245-6A210 x 1
87245-6A190 x 1
87245-6A220 x 1
87245-6A800 x 1
99556-20155 x 1

@beno can confirm.

I did mine today as a result of this thread. I saw the exact size questions asked a few times, but didn't notice it thoroughly answered. I thought I'd post them up (sorry if I this is duplicate info)

Top section of the T - 2 3/4 across
OD 11/16
ID 1/2
Drop down section - 1 3/4 long
OD 9/16
ID 3/8
There is a bit of a bevel towards the ends. These measurements are from a little further in.

Wish I read this earlier... Unfortunately I found out the hard way about the T's, one failed on me yesterday at 183k.

I was on a 4wheel trail with a friend up in Plumas National Park California, on our way out from fly fishing Saturday and Sunday morning. Fishing wasn't that great, so we called it a day by 11 and started out. This was the proving ground. My buddy runs a 2000 4runner stock with MT tires and does this trail 5-7 times a year. To make a long story shorter, I was proving my cruiser could make this trail easy and we'd be more comfortable doing it. Everything was great until we got out to check the approach of a particular root filled portion and notice coolant leaking... You guessed it! It was the darn T! I wish I could say I filled it with coolant I packed and that I had spare hoses and clamps... Not the case... We had to plug the hoses... We had enough filtered water to get us to the next mildly flat stretch, checked again and needed more water. The Garmin Rhino said we had climbed 1200' from Camp, and that's where water was. It was about 5hrs getting back on the road but I learned a valuable lesson... "It's not a matter of if you break down, but when. Be prepared!" Here are some pictures of what I had to do to get off the trailer and back home. Found that 5gal jug off an abandoned Jeep (left a note and contact info). If you get the chance to go, check this place out. OH! And please... REPLACE THESE T'S!

5378.jpeg

5344.jpeg

IMG_20170902_184814990.jpg

5346.jpeg

IMG_20170903_163326486.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom