Heard a POP, and things got worse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hopefully you have an OBD2 monitor to watch the actual temp, and not rely on the temp gauge. It has a HUGE dead spot in the middle.

check for leaking coolant under the following spots. Under the engine on drivers side, even with the front wheel....thats where the PHH comes out of the block.

back of the engine directly below the firewall could be the heater control valve. Thats at the top of the firewall, where the small coolant hose makes a uturn under itself. Could also be the hoses that supply coolant to the front heater core, and/or rear heater core.

Before cracking open the engine, You could also do a flush of the entire cooling system, specially if that was your first time using the heaters (front and/or rear). you could have a clog somewhere in the system. Look up Izzys Amateur Hour thread, he documents the mother of all coolant flushes.

Could even have a tstat that locked up.

Warm it up with the rad cap off, and smell for exhaust coming from the radiator.

Mine was blowing out the overflow once the thermostat opened up. I could idle for hours in the driveway. Put it under load, and it would shoot up and blow out the overflow. I believe ive got a blown HG on mine...I'm hoping my block is fine..have a head at the shop getting freshened up.

You can also pull your spark plugs and look for one or more that are a LOT cleaner than the others. That would indicate steam cleaning due to water entering the combustion chamber (ie, blown head gasket).

Okay ... so no fan belts. Too bad.

Added points ....

When starting engine just bump the starter a few times to be sure the engine rotates and is not hydrolocked.

Pull spark plugs and check for any that look steam cleaned.

Unless you find obvious external leak it is time for an HC coolant test and a compression check.

So I used my AAA to get it towed to a shop that I trust as I am pulling 12 hour days at work. Got the call and he says it is is a blown head gasket.

So to get the heads redone and HG replaced the shop wants $2300. He also asked if I wanted the timing chain done for an additional $900.

So after almost crapping my pants I am faced with selling the truck as is and getting back some of what I have in her, wait until I can find time maybe some time this summer to work on it, or grab my ankles and get 'er done at the shop.

Thoughts?

Wait until you find time. Start taking it a part and send the head to the machinists. Buy the parts from toyota and follow the fsm step by step. There is also a dvd some where that give you a visual of the job. I spent around $900 total between parts and machinists. I didnt do the timing chain with 240k miles. Call for a hamom and you will have a couple of people helping you doing this work over some beers. Good luck.

sounds like time to schedule a hamom?

Is this the gold colored truck that’s been sitting at the shop between pittsboro and Chapel Hill for the last few days?

$2300 for a shop HG sounds about right but $900 to replace the timing chain?!? I did mine when I did my HG and your in there already. The extra labor is minimal, not $900 extra.

Not quite. The only way to replace the timing set is to also pull off timing chain cover and the upper oil pan .... It isn't a pretty number but $900 isn't far off the mark.

engine front.jpg

Last edited:
Appreciate all the feedback everyone. A HAMOM for this seems like a lot to ask being new to the group. I am selling my old Nissan Z and that can finance a majority of the repair costs (sans Timing Chain). I would like to participate in a HAMOM and learn some things before using one for my own interests. In the future I would like to do birfs and axle job in a potential HAMOM

Not quite. The only way to replace the timing set is to also pull off timing chain cover and the upper oil pan .... It isn't a pretty number but $900 isn't far off the mark.
I guess when your in the middle of replacing the head gasket, removing the timing chain cover and upper oil pan doesn't seem like that much extra work.

What year z?

Trust me that's not asking a lot of this group.

We swapped Frame & Bodies one weekend during a hamon

Took out of gas engine and converted it to diesel engine another weekend.

Surely we can do a head gasket without even sweating.

Wasn't going to do a hamon. But I'm going to go through my front axle here in a couple weeks. You're welcome to come watch, help, take notes, whatever

Wasn't going to do a hamon. But I'm going to go through my front axle here in a couple weeks. You're welcome to come watch, help, take notes, whatever
I'll be there. Just let me know where and when.

During the HAMOM I vote Eric be the one to pull the wiring harness through the intake manifold. :flipoff2:

Provided you have a machined head ready to bolt on along with gasket kit (in addition to the "while you're in there" items like PHH) then Fourtrax is exactly right. This is a (long) one day project.

Take us up on it and save some $$.

Suggestion .... no telling how much water is in the cylinders. Suggest pulling the plugs and fogging the motor until you're able to pull it down.

Last edited:
Is this the gold colored truck that’s been sitting at the shop between pittsboro and Chapel Hill for the last few days?
Since I just figured out how to successfully append images: Here she blows (literally):
AF1QipPCVsPI_LqY3CZ_ST9kg5h-K6pNzi5Ks0fVsh3c

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom