Heard a POP, and things got worse (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Taking junk from cleaning out the garage to the dump, and thought some Krispy Kreme was merited. Pull through drive through and hear a loud pop, like driving over balloon. Did a walk around and nothing.

Get into neighborhood and spot white smoke spewing from the tailpipe and temp needle shooting up. Pulled into driveway and coolant is pouring out of reservoir.

My 8 year old asked how bad is this, I told him this might put an end to our adventures for quite some time. He patted my back and said it's ok.

Now I'm mulling over my options.

did you lose a fan belt?

I'm with Eric on first place to look.

I'll take a look at first light. That explains the overheating, but what about white smoke from rear?

Radiator hose may have blown off and also boiled in resovoir. Happen to my 80 few years back. Could be head gasket but belt is great place to start

I'll take a look at first light. That explains the overheating, but what about white smoke from rear?

Depends .... if it was white smoke just pouring out behind the vehicle then coolant was getting dumped on a manifold. If the water was truly coming from a the tailpipe there is another issue.

If the belt goes the alternator light will go off ( if it is an 80) dont remember on the other. It Could be your radiator. If you drove it like that most likely burned the head gasket because high temperature or wrapped the head. If you lost the head gasket make sure not to leave coolant in the cylinder for long or it will rust the walls and your repair will be more expensive. I hope i am wrong but it sound like it.

Checked the engine bay right before work this morning and all the belts look to be in tact but I really need to replace them and the pulleys. I'll check hoses tonight. Also checked the oil for antifreeze and thankfully none was present.

How is the fluid level in the cold radiator?

When you did the walk around was anything leaking, or any noticeable smells like antifreeze.

Turn it on and see if there are any leaks. Observe smoke coming from the rear and see if it is indeed coming from the tailpipe. Sounds to me like the headgasket blew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom