Heads up on remote start from bestbuy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seems like a killer deal. Do you know if the lock/unlock feature would work if you no longer have functional buttons on your master key (if, for example, you put your key through the wash, like I did...)?

Interested! can we get more details on the usability, will all the buttons work?

This is okay if you wanna warm your truck up, but from what i understand you still have to insert and turn the physical key to drive off. So, it would not solve our weak ignition system problem.

It does not need a spare key to install and use.

I was just shopping for a remote start system at a local shop. Most likely a 1-way system, $250 for the system plus another $65 for the immobilizer bypass. They said the 2002 LX would require an extra key for the bypass. "No other way around it." Wondering if you have any more info on why a system would or wouldn't need an extra key to bypass the immobilizer on our rigs?

This is okay if you wanna warm your truck up, but from what i understand you still have to insert and turn the physical key to drive off. So, it would not solve our weak ignition system problem.

Can you expand on this a little? I have a remote start in my 80 and that's about how it works. Am I missing something there? Do remote start systems typically not work well in 100's? I'm pretty new to the LX, but have noticed it needs a bit more cranking time than the 80. I would think that would just be a crank time setting on the system.

From what i understand about this system from talking directly to the installer at BestBuy. It will start the vehicle but to prevent theft you still have to insert and turn your key to drive off. If you hit the brakes or try to put it in gear the truck will shut off without the physical key inserted and turned to the on position....

I guess I thought that's how all of them worked. What are the other options in how systems work and maintain vehicle security?

I guess I thought that's how all of them worked. What are the other options in how systems work and maintain vehicle security?

@Dockofthebay That's all they're for. I think you're thinking of a keyless go/keyless start system. That's not what this would be. I've had a system like this in most of my daily cars for a long time and it's killer to be able to get the AC or heat going before getting into the car. Also, the lock/unlock range on these systems is usually WAY better than OEM remotes.

My cars generally have Viper systems as that's what my installer has carried but basically the same thing. The only thing I might like to upgrade to in the next car would be one with a visual confirmation of whether or not the car is locked or running. Right now, it's a guessing game if you're out of earshot and sometimes things will block the signal to the car, meaning it's not going to make contact 100% of the time.

From what i understand about this system from talking directly to the installer at BestBuy. It will start the vehicle but to prevent theft you still have to insert and turn your key to drive off. If you hit the brakes or try to put it in gear the truck will shut off without the physical key inserted and turned to the on position....

I had a remote start on my last Supra and that how it worked. I think that's how every single aftermarket remote start system works. An aftermarket keyless start system would be very tough to make work like an OEM system as it involves a bunch of antennas specially placed through the vehicle body.

The benefit regarding the ignition system with a typical remote start would be that you don't have to "crank" the car by turning the key to the start position in the ignition. You just gracefully turn the key to the "on" position where there's little resistance.

What's really slick, at least with the Viper systems, is that you can pair multiple vehicles. So you can have one remote that works with two vehicles. You can also use their mobile app and service to get infinite range and 2-way comms. I was about to pull the trigger on that setup, but then sold the Supra and bought a different one. Not sure I'll ever dive into it again at this point since it was an enormous task to wire everything in the way I wanted.

I got in on a black friday deal.

I have no idea how often they have the sale I do not work for BestBuy or the remote start company just a guy that purchased one.

It gets around having to burn one of your keys with a card that is in the remote start system so its just an electronic version and I would guess uses up one of your slots on max number of keys.

Yes you have to insert your key to drive off. You put key in and turn it 2 clicks and DO NOT TRY TO TURN IT TO START or you will grind your starter gear dont ask me how I know :).

If you want to leave your car running for a quick stop for coffee or leave your dog in the AC you can while the car is running with your key in the ignition just press the remote start button and remove your keys it will stay running.

When you have used the remote start your real key buttons will not unlock the car as the car is using the fake transponder so will not take your real keys command.

Yes the buttons on the remote start fob will work anytime and if you want to pay BestBuy to connect it for other functions you can. My installer said he could rig the trunk button to roll down the windows ect but it would be expensive for all the custom work and parts. could he really do it I do not know and the range on the remote start fob is HUGE. I have had it work at way more than double the factory fob. I would guess 1 1/2 to 2 football fields.

My remote start fob is set to unlock all doors with one push. he said with custom work it could be made to work like the factory remote. I was not interested.

I will warn you he said it was a 3-4 hour install and it took 6 1/2 if I remember right. I live in the boonies so did not want to make someone drive me 1 1/2 hours to drop the car then drive home and back again. I wandered the mall for 4 hours then stared at the installer for the last 2 1/2 :)

Fairly good deal $269 going on now at Best Buy. Have been debating on it for a long time and decided to jump on it. Bought two remote starts for my 2006 LX and wife’s 2016 MDX:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/compus...e89b0f9a5345c674ba0INT&skuId=9999300000000170

Have scheduled the install on Oct 27/29, and estimated price is $319 so maybe additional charge is for the T-harness to make for a cleaner install (will confirm it with the tech).

Will post back to let everyone know how it goes. Hope they don’t hack up the wiring.

Peter

Ordered, will see what i can come up with after this is installed. I'm currently using a screwdriver to start my truck. I'm not happy about the cost of the fix for the broken part, so I'm being obstinate and determined to fix not using Toyota's parts....

Will discuss connections and review what's involved before I turn it over. Can always return it.

I love a good deal as much as the next guy, but I would not let anyone from Best Buy touch my truck's wiring. I've heard too many horror stories and have seen some real hack jobs. I took my truck to a local professional with all of the appropriate certifications/accomplishments and while it wasn't cheap, I know that it wasn't a hack job and I won't be facing any ongoing wiring issues down the road.

Cliff notes: Be wary of the "deal", don't always go the inexpensive route on your truck's electronics!

Last edited:
to each there own.

I doubt you could find 1 installation place that has never messed up an install. I have had several items Done at Best Buy and even Frys. I always talk to the tech before hand and in each case they passed the smell test and did a fine job installing. Clean work and were respectful of the ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom