Headlight conversion 7” round (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Conventional vs led isn't different on the wiring. I don't know what wiring harness he had supplied but if there is not a relay. You will always be running brights even when you are not trying to run them as the highbeams are triggered by ground and that will feed through the lowbeams. So there needs to be a relay and if his harness includes it then you are good.
heres the wiring that comes with the parts…so, any of the wiring mods in this thread with relays will work ok, whether using LED or using conventional stuff?

08EDA9C4-06A0-4B35-B978-921690A9EA54.png

Yes. I started out with a harness like that and spliced in a waterproof relay on each. You can also use one for both but it is easier to just use two and keep them separate. I ran conventional lights for a while before upgrading to led and so I had to fix the highbeams being triggered on those. I did not change the wiring for leds later and it still works as it should. I just used the advise if others in this thread and it works great still.

Mine is a 96.. I guess it could be different for other years but I think everyone has had the same issues

Yes. I started out with a harness like that and spliced in a waterproof relay on each. You can also use one for both but it is easier to just use two and keep them separate. I ran conventional lights for a while before upgrading to led and so I had to fix the highbeams being triggered on those. I did not change the wiring for leds later and it still works as it should. I just used the advise if others in this thread and it works great still.

Mine is a 96.. I guess it could be different for other years but I think everyone has had the same issues
hey clx16…thanks very much! will post pix when mounted…

+1 on what he said. I'm running a similar harness but added relays for my HID lights with direct fused power from the battery through the relays, anything to offload from the 20 year OEM harness.

yup…read several times and aktundra’s post (403?) seems most strIght forward but am looking for something more simple if possible…thanx

For those wiring a conversion to H4 plug as part of this mod.

The manufacturer of my LED's says lows are supposed to stay on when high's are switched on. Both high & low on, when high's are switched on, is the OEM functionality. Some LED's can over heat, and it is not recommended by the manufacturer, to have both high & low on at the same time.

This wiring diagram seems to work for my '93 (the wire colors are for the PS). The wiring can be done for the DS, just by orienting the lock tab on the 9005/9006 pigtail plug same as the PS. This approach will require one relay on each side. If this approach can be modified to for 2 relays on each side, please let me know. As somebody that has experienced an engine fire, I am all about any additional safety elements when it comes to electrical wiring.

View attachment 1921160View attachment 1921172
I have a 94 I am doing this for but no LED just regular bulbs…how might that simplify your directions? and what do PS and DS mean? thanx

I have a 94 I am doing this for but no LED just regular bulbs…how might that simplify your directions? and what do PS and DS mean? thanx
PS=passenger side
DS=driver side

Sorry it’s been to long since I did this mod, (the ‘70’s was not kind to my memory), to be much more help !

Anyone have QUALITY / WELL-LIT, head-on shots of an 80 with the one-piece small-hex grille, round headlights and an ARB bumper? Pics I've seen are too bright or (mostly) too dark to see any real detail. TIA!

Last edited:
Anyone have QUALITY / WELL-LIT, head-on shots of an 80 with the one-piece small-hex grille, round headlights and an ARB bumper? Pics I've seen are too bright or (mostly) too dark to see any real detail. TIA!
I hear you. I’m on order 600 or something like that, and I don’t have very many photos. It would be nice to see more pics.

It's not an ARB bumper but here's some high-res pics of mine

52790320872_4a2b910611_h.jpg

52426300839_78859fcd51_h.jpg

Lower-res cellphone pics

52962624774_3968a90784_h.jpg

53052752929_a00c06067c_h.jpg

It's not an ARB bumper but here's some high-res pics of mine

52790320872_4a2b910611_h.jpg

52426300839_78859fcd51_h.jpg

Lower-res cellphone pics

52962624774_3968a90784_h.jpg

53052752929_a00c06067c_h.jpg
Appears to be a two-piece as well, but I'll take what I can get. Nice shots, too, thanks! Any more (picture) takers?

I will be ordering new inventory soon, however I do have a few options left for 80's right now. Grille only for the early 80 series, and grille/headlight combo kits for all years. PM if interested.

I'll add a twist to this topic. I went with a set of quad beam housing fitted with heated JW Speaker 8800s and Kelly's center grille section. I'm still working through the install but here are a few teaser photos.

IMG_1421.jpeg
IMG_1426.jpeg

I just have to figure out where to relocate the turn signals to since the intercooler piping interferes with the factory lights. I had previously run turn signal wiring into the corner light assemblies using a two-filament bulb but that won't work anymore because the quad-beam side marker lights don't have room for such an arrangement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom