Headlamps -- what do you have? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here's a review of the headlamps I currently have in my possession. Feel free to add reviews of headlamps you currently have or have had in the past. :cheers:

3 Petzyls, all non LED(a Duo, a single focusable beam that operates on either 3 C batts or 3 AA bats, and a single focusable beam that operates on 3 AAs only)
1 Cabelas Alaskan Guide Xenon + green
4 Cyclops brim 3 LED lamps (green and red)

Petzyls, good all around lights. The AA only model is just as bright as the 3C/3AA model (both twist on/off), but neither is as nice as the Duo (lever on/off and opposide side level beam focus). The focusable beam is very nice, offering a tight beam for distance to a floodlight beam. I would use these for hiking/gutting/camping/working at night. Easy to use with gloves. Good light presentation, kind of a yellow light, wish it was brighter.

Cyclops brim lamps.......garbage. Use them around camp for the quick midnight potty run or you're bunked out reading a mag. The red LED produces a light that is hardly visible to man (no wonder the critturs can't see it). The green is much better, but something about the design, the battery gets cold and starts dimming after 10 minutes (not a good thing if you're hiking or gutting an elk after dark). Small on/off button, difficult to operate with bare fingers and not drop your Capt. Morgan and Coke. Don't count on these, ever.

Cabelas Alaskan Guide Xenon + green. Holy crap. I bought this one today and I've already dedicated it for my hunting pack and there's 3 others on my Christmas wish list. The single button toggles the functions Green LED/Off/White Xenon/Off. A little difficult to push, but shouldn't turn itself on in your pack and kill the batts. The focusable white Xenon goes from a spotlight out to 80 yards to a flood up close. Seriously, you could shoot with this light, racoons, coyotes, etc. The Green LED is fantastic, lights up everything out to approx. 40 yards, plus green doesn't scare the critturs. Take extra batteries as the Xenon is only supposed to run 5 hours on 3 AAs. For example, I worked on my elk for 4 hours after dark before my buddies got to me. Weighing in at a mere 8 oz, this thing is the cat's meow. Get one and get a spare. You can't go wrong, unless you're looking for s***ty components and weak light. :cheers:

Last edited:
I have had a Princton Tech "Predator Pro" for about 10years. Kinda fragile, kinda pricey when new. Would not recomend it. Although it has a lifetime warranty.(which I have used twice since I bought it).
Also Have a Wally-world 9 dollar el-cheepo. Its rubberized and a hell of a good deal. China made.
And the other day at Big Lots I picked up a Colman LED for 3 bucks. Seems to be pretty good. Very small, about the size of a .223 case ,light weight. Not very tough (in my opinion) but it hangs from the rear view mirror in case I need an emergency light. Good for the money spent.

Petzl zoom x3: Heavy work horses. Sit in camping boxes for back ups.

Petzl Tika: good light weight light. Also a back up.

Princton Tech ? fell apart.

Black Diamond Icon: My everyday light. My favorite.

Black Diamond Ion: My everyday backup light. Keep one in every noock and cranny.

I dont have much experiance with headlamps as this is my first but i dont know life now without one. I got mine off steepandcheap.com, actually got two since they were on sale for $10 bucks a piece.
Three led, three power levels with two strobe settings. Princeton Tec "Aurora"
Pretty focused but some peripheral lighting, 3 3a's so power is forever, advertised as water resistant but feel its pretty much water proof and very durable....still worked after dog chewed it for the night then I found it in the birdbath.

Last edited:
My employer issues Princeton Tec AAA like above. I also have a few PTs AA for personal use, bought cheaply at REI Scratch n Dent sale cuz they used to have problems w/the caps. PT sent replacement caps, back in business.

I have a Maglite and I hold it between my head and shoulder, does that count? :D

I have a Petzl Duo somewhere in a box. Bought it cheap, bought the 5 LED replacement for the close range bulb, and never used it. It has the remote mount 4C battery pack which would be great in the winter. I'm sure I'll find a use for it eventually and it will work great when I do get around to using it.

I have had a Petzl Tikka, Tikka Plus and the e+lite (until some punk stole it out of my glovebox along with my dad's old tire pressure gauge:mad: I liked that tire gauge) I had used the Tikka for a few years and then I got the newer Tikka Plus. I like the button style switch better than the old sliding switch, but I don't really care about the different power levels or the strobe. I like it bright so I always use the high setting. The tilt feature of the Tikka Plus is nice though. I have used the Tikka Plus alot, including winter snowshoeing trips that went on longer than expected :rolleyes: and swimming underwater with it. It also went out east with me and survived a nighttime sea kayak roll in Casco Bay (nice place). I rinsed it after the trip with fresh water and it still works just fine two years later.

I found a Princeton Tec headlamp with the exact same features as the Tikka Plus. It was a bulkier shape though so I gave it to my brother.

One of my friends has a Black Diamond light that has an led on the battery pack that blinks when the light is off (so you can find it in your pack!) It takes a screwdriver to open the battey case to change batteries though (kind of a pain).

The Maglite is still brighter than any headlamp :D

I have a half dozen headlamps, from a couple brim lights like Chad posted up to a Night Rider HID lamp that's in the 500 lumen range. But the real standout of the bunch is a $30 Ray O Vac Sportsman Extreme LED headlamp. It's well made, water resistant complete with O rings and switch seals, has 3 output levels and uses the top shelf Cree LED to put out 85 lumens (a 3D Maglite is around 45 lumens). As a bonus, the battery case on the back of your head has a two mode red LED so you can use it as a bike/jogging light at night to help oncoming cars see you from behind. Be sure the package says "85 lumens" on it. Got mine at Wally world last year but they're not easy to come by these days without some searching and phone calls.

Great for night hiking/riding and loooong night snowshoe runs. Phenomenal battery life. Only complaint is it is too bright for any close up work - the lowest setting should have been much lower.

DougM

Nobody does the mini mag in the chompers anymore?

Three Petzyl Tikkas. One of my favorites (not a headlamp) is a 3 AA cell mag with a led.

Sure, but this thread isn't about mini-mags.

If it was: got 1 in every rig & toolbox, color-coded so I know where it gets returned to if loaned out or used overnight. :grinpimp:

All the time, but I sure as hell wouldn't have wanted to be working on my elk for 4 hours holding a mini mag in my mouth a couple of weeks ago. :D

I have the Toyota Trails one.

I think it is a Petzl.

I've got one. Not as bright as I would like but hey it was free. The angle adjuster is starting to fail. I've been using it for 2 years now.

It serves two purposes

I can find my tent with it when drunk.
I can see what I'm peeing on.

I also have the duo. Great light just bulky and heavy. Still performs purposes above.

All the time, but I sure as hell wouldn't have wanted to be working on my elk for 4 hours holding a mini mag in my mouth a couple of weeks ago. :D

Yea, that drool thing is a beotch..:hillbilly:

Congrats on the elk, btw :cheers:

There are two products that help with minimag lights - a rubber mouthpiece thing that fits over the tip so you can bite into it comfortably and a headband with a grippy sleeve that holds a minimag at your temple. I've used both 20 years ago but now headlamps are available with excellent ergonomics, etc.

Neither are effective against drooling....

DougM

There are two products that help with minimag lights - a rubber mouthpiece thing that fits over the tip so you can bite into it comfortably and a headband with a grippy sleeve that holds a minimag at your temple. I've used both 20 years ago but now headlamps are available with excellent ergonomics, etc.

Neither are effective against drooling....

DougM

I have one of the temple located grippy sleevy ones, but really, it's just for the 'oh chit' factor, mostly it just holds my spare batteries. :lol:

Correct on neither being effective against drooling........I was a test subject. :doh:

I have an old Petzl Arctic laying around somewhere, but the thing eats batteries. I have been using a basic Energizer for the past 4 years or so. Puts out decent light and cheap. Batteries last for weeks of continuous use too.

4 hours? Sounds like you need a sharper knife or to shoot smaller elk!;p

My dentist told me to quit holding my mag light in my mouth.:hillbilly:

I've got one. Not as bright as I would like but hey it was free. The angle adjuster is starting to fail. I've been using it for 2 years now.

It serves two purposes

I can find my tent with it when drunk.
I can see what I'm peeing WITH.

I also have the duo. Great light just bulky and heavy. Still performs purposes above.

Fixed it for ya...:p

I`ve owned and/or used dozens of different headlamps over the years ranging from top-end Petzls to the Big-5 Sunday special, and my hands down favorite by far is the Brunton L- 3

s7_517393_imageset_01

Brunton L3 Headlamp : Cabela's

I understand its a top choice of search and rescue , spelunkers and long-distance runners too.

The battery life in relation to light output is unmatched by any headlamp period. I was really amazed at how bright this early generation 3watt bulb actually is. I mean, it`s damn bright ! Even if the batteries didn`t last 150+ hours I would still rate it tops. It willa lso burn off of 4C-cells via a belt-pack for who know how long .. I dont think I`d ever need the belt-pack but I guess maybe it would be handy If I were going to be out for weeks and weeks on end or to keep the batteries warm in a jacket. However, depending on the type of AA`s used and the ambient temp, they typically last me between 75 to 300+ hours (lithium) even when used on the brightest (3rd) setting.

Although the bulb is not user replaceable, I personally haven`t heard of or experienced any instances of lamp failure (yet)

One set of batteries is all you need ! :cheers:

4 hours? Sounds like you need a sharper knife or to shoot smaller elk!;p

My dentist told me to quit holding my mag light in my mouth.:hillbilly:

Hahahah! The knives were sharp, but the lack of parachute cord and the other things that were going on slowed things way down. ;) Plujs, that was gutting, knuckling, and skinning about 3/4 of it by myself. Hell, if I'd have just gutted it and boogied to camp, I'd have been done a whole lot sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom