Headers and emissions stuff (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm putting some 6-1 headers from TPI on my '78 fj40 and am going to remove the egr valve. Does anyone know where to route the 1/2"(?) PCV hose now? It rests snugly against the back of the stock air cleaner and it used to connect to the bent metal tube on one end of the EGR unit. I'm also going to be getting rid of some of that other smog stuff and am looking for what vacuum hoses to leave on and which to remove/cap.

Also, do people recommend anything for heat control of the headers, since I've heard non-ceramic coated headers produce lots of engine compartment heat. I was plannig to just deal with it, but if there's something I can wrap them with before installation, I'll do it.

Thanks for reading my newbie post!

I sent you some diagrams that may help. I got them from Jim Chenoweth on the TLCA mailing list a while back.. They were invaluable to me. HTH :cheers:

If you're like me, you might be a little confused by those diagrams that Jim C has up on the web...too many "x"s and tiny writing to begin with. Check out this write up for de-smog--this things rocks. Though it's for an '84 2F, it will work well enough for any year 2F.

De-Smog For Dummies

As for the PCV valve, it needs to either be hooked up to the air cleaner AFTER the air filter, or put that chunk back on that you have pictured up there and hook it back up to it, but just block off the vacuum actuator line end of the EGR (aka, the other end of it :D ).

The heat in my engine compartment went up a bit, but not enough to worry about. I have the MAF 6 to 1 painted headers. FWIW, there's a bunch of Utah Cruiserheads getting a group buy and having them coated locally by some high-heat coating place. Around $100 or so each to be coated though.. I think you may as well get the MAF ceramic coated ones to begin with... :dunno:

-Ferg-

I took it all off of mine, made a plate for the mounting area on the manifold and ran the PCV into a plenum on the carb base.

I have seen the PCV run to an external filter (K&N breather) as well. It did not seem to affect the running what so ever.

Thanks for all these responses.

73lndcrsr, do you mind getting a pic of this plenum?

1Fine40, thanks for those diagrams

theferg, thank you for that link. I'll check it all out after work

:beer: :cheers:

Sure, but I will have to do it this weekend. I won't be able to get back to my cruiser until then.

Thank you!

Happy trails

Sorry I did not get to take the pictures of mine, but here is a photo from SOR for the part.

Labeled #2 in this photo.

Thanks for the picture.
This is what one side of my carb looks like...

Here's the side with the choke breaker.
I know it's one of the saucer shaped things, but is it the upper or lower one?
Thanks again

based on what I can see, I would bet it is the top diaphram. You can verify it by the linkage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom