Head Gasket Replacement - another one (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

steffan

SILVER Star
Threads
i think i've been fighting this for a while, wishful thinking that it was something simpler: kept getting air in the cooling system in spite of bleeding it multiple times... new radiator caps, new hoses etc. if finely got to the point where with was loosing fluid - traced it down to a pressurized cooling system pushing fluid out the resovoir.
i did a bunch of searching on this but it seems most of the well documented head gasket threads or posts are missing pictures or correct links. i'm taking a bunch of pictures for my own reference, figured i'd post them, maybe help someone out. i'm not sure there is a correct or better order to all of this - just started on one side and working over. the good news, if there can be, is that i have just changed out all the hoses, belts etc along with a new exhaust and timing chain so everything should come apart fairly easily.

i started out by taking off the intake hose just for easy access, then pulled the heater hoses and brake vacuum, again thinking it would free up some space to pull the head.
egr and a couple of plugs

IMG_0935.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

started working around the intake runners, starting from the bottom, firewall side and working forward. i thought i could just remove the entire vacuum hose manifold with the throttle body and runners but found out later it was easier (necessary?) to just pull a few vacuum lines.

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

I’m glad you did your due diligence with all these pictures and careful labeling. I pulled my first 22re about a month ago and just piled everything in the corner. Your pictures will come in very handy!!!

Brian

this is a '92 pickup. got a little more time today and started tearing into it again. i tried taking the lower manafold off the head but a couple things complicated it. first, theres an allen (6mm hex) bolt through the thermostat housing that was really tight. i played with it for a while and finely, was able to work it out. unfortunately, in the process, its almost stripped out (more on that later). also, there are 2 bolts on the bottom that are all but impossible to access so I figured i'd just pull it with the head.
here are more vacuum lines on the way to removing the vacuum manifold

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

now the most fun - taking the wiring harness off. not as bad as an 80 series but it also runs right through the middle of the intake, starting with the fuel injectors and all the way back to the two O2 sensors and all the transmission sensors along the way. also, the starter and sensors along the side of the engine. it wouldn't be so bad if the plugs weren't so brittle and stuck together. i couldn't believe i managed to get them all off without breaking any of them

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1016.JPG

IMG_1017.JPG

pulled the distributor - don't forget to index everything. exhaust manafold - easy peasy because i just replaced everything. all new studs etc with anti-seaze. then, power steering bracket

IMG_1021.JPG

IMG_1024.jpg

valve cover off. don't forget the ground on the firewall and the hidden bolt over the timing cover. fixing the timing chain, removing the cam bolt/ sprocket. remove the headbolts and pull the rocker assembly.

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1026.JPG

IMG_1027.jpg

here is the damage. it was getting dark and looking like rain so i couldn't study it that closely. i don't have much (any?) real experience with this so if anyone sees anything obvious, please let me know. looks like maybe stop leak in the water jackets? pictures are working backwords: clean one is number 4 and then 3, 2, 1

IMG_1028.JPG

IMG_1029.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

IMG_1031.JPG

the head had a bunch of junk in the combustion chambers - the plugs as well. not sure what that means? i had sprayed out the intake a little while ago so maybe that is the burnoff? again, no experience here, let me know. the head bolts on the exhaust side were terrible to get out - had to use my biggest breaker bar to get them out and then looked like this. is that normal? baked oil from the exhause heat? thread locker?

IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

Yes, heat of the exhaust ports bakes the oil to the bolts. They can be a bear to get out.

The clean cylinder would have been cleaned by coolant burning off in that cyl, though I'm not seeing the failure in the head gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom