20R Head Gasket Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I have recently purchesed a 1980 Toyota Pickup, SR5 Longbed 2wd, 20r engine. When I bought the truck the engine was only running on 2 cylinders, had a lot of carb problems, was burning oil, and possible head gasket. I rebuilt the engine, put on a new Carburetor (the weber 32/36) and slapped it back in the truck. After the rebuild it ran like a dream, but had a external head gasket leak under the thermostat. I then removed the head, put on a new head gasket put it all back together and it is still leaking externally. Ive checked for cracks, warpage, and followed the correct head bolt tightening sequence. I used a Felpro head gasket both times. What head gaskets have some of you guys used? Do you know where I can get a OEM head gasket? Any advice you guys can give would be much appreciated, thanks.

I had an early 22r and I think the head is very similar - The coolant also runs through the intake manifold and so it’s possible you could have corrosion or breakdown of the aluminum on the side of the head or on the intake. I figured this out the hard way. Pay attention to this mating surface(s) and gasket as well. May need to get those surfaces machined if you have enough material left.

You used brand new head bolts correct? Perhaps you’re already aware but those bolts are torque to yield … ie use once and replace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom