Should i put copper spray on the head gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No. do not.

only use that stuff for Exhaust gaskets

As above, no no no. Put it in dry and torque it up = happy days

I used some of the copper spray decades ago on aircooled motorcycles but cant say it ever did much good. Seepy heads still the rule
Seemed easy to apply too much and thickness variations would cause more problems that solutions.

Chrysler has a head gasket aerosol spray, came across it in manual recommended for PT heads ( maybe other , dunno) which were known for leaks.
It was red polymer that dried to a tacky translucent thin coat, fairly easy to apply uniformly and thin, and obviously much smaller particle size ( a large molecule, not really a "particle" ). I believe this soft but resistant deposit would have hope to extrude into extremely fine topography.

Obviosly want to get the head surface the optimal roughness to 'grab' the gasket

Used the copper spray on both sides of the head gasket of a 1963 Dodge M37 flat head 6 cylinder. No issues so far after several years of running. The head gasket of the 230 cubic inch flat head 6 is ALL copper. No other compound on the gasket.

IMG_9140.jpg

Used the copper spray on both sides of the head gasket of a 1963 Dodge M37 flat head 6 cylinder. No issues so far after several years of running. The head gasket of the 230 cubic inch flat head 6 is ALL copper. No other compound on the gasket.

View attachment 3469011
From what I understand its needed for copper gaskets, the engine has been together for about 2 months now and running perfectly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom