Head gasket question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do you tell if overheating blew the head gasket or if the rings went? I did compression check on front two cylinders (60 & 70 reading).

Thanks in advance.

KB

How do you tell if overheating blew the head gasket or if the rings went? I did compression check on front two cylinders (60 & 70 reading).

Thanks in advance.

KB
It's hard to tell until you pull the head, I just went thru the head replacement, since your poor readings are on two cylinders next to each other I'd bet on the head gasket, mine had a gap about 1/4" - a huge gap i'm sure it was on it's way out for a while, as to why it blew I don't know how to tell if it was the heat, in my case I don't think that the "people" that rebuilt my engine surfaced the head or not, it was cracked and repaired by the drill and pin method un- announced to me until I yanked the head and found it myself. I went with a remanufactured head from SOR, ordered it on a Monday afternoon and had the head waiting on my door step by that Thursday afternoon when I got home from work, so far I'm pleased- cost about $800.00 for the head and all the gaskets.and shipping.----good luck.

I agree with RHON. 2 cly next to each other points to head gasket. Will have to take head off to be certain. Before you do that, I would shoot a couple of shots of motor oil into those 2 cly & redo a comp. check. If the #'s come up substantially you have oil getting past your rings = bad. Do this b-4 removing the head.
Good luck, John

A leak down test will provide valuable diagnostic information...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom