Head gasket question

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by kblomquist, Feb 26, 2007.

1. kblomquist

kblomquist

How do you tell if overheating blew the head gasket or if the rings went? I did compression check on front two cylinders (60 & 70 reading).

Thanks in advance.

KB

2. RHON

RHON

It's hard to tell until you pull the head, I just went thru the head replacement, since your poor readings are on two cylinders next to each other I'd bet on the head gasket, mine had a gap about 1/4" - a huge gap i'm sure it was on it's way out for a while, as to why it blew I don't know how to tell if it was the heat, in my case I don't think that the "people" that rebuilt my engine surfaced the head or not, it was cracked and repaired by the drill and pin method un- announced to me until I yanked the head and found it myself. I went with a remanufactured head from SOR, ordered it on a Monday afternoon and had the head waiting on my door step by that Thursday afternoon when I got home from work, so far I'm pleased- cost about $800.00 for the head and all the gaskets.and shipping.----good luck.

3. John McVicker

John McVicker SILVER Star

I agree with RHON. 2 cly next to each other points to head gasket. Will have to take head off to be certain. Before you do that, I would shoot a couple of shots of motor oil into those 2 cly & redo a comp. check. If the #'s come up substantially you have oil getting past your rings = bad. Do this b-4 removing the head.
    Good luck, John

4. grant5127

grant5127

A leak down test will provide valuable diagnostic information...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.