Head gasket question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I started replacing the head gasket just as the pandemic started. As would have it, working from home, taking care of family etc. etc. my LC fell to the bottom of my 'to do' list. Im determined to finish the job in the next couple of months (fingers crossed). At this point the head is off and the block has been under a plastic tarp inside a moisture free garage. What is the longest time has anyone kept the motor open before buttoning it up? Thanks for looking, Eddie

Give everything a nice coat of wd40 and you’ll buy yourself more time. But it sounds like you need to get your priorities in line. Is the head at the machine shop yet? Set aside one weekend day for the next month and get it done!

Like Railwelder93 said, it well be fine.

Just keep a eye on it and don't spray it with WD40 ! JMHO

My 1FZ sat headless for 9 months (January to October) in the 80 parked outside. That was 50k miles, 4+ years ago and no problems with the block/surface of new HG.

The following overview of what I did to protect the block during that time doesn't really apply to your indoor storage situation but may provide a few ideas. I periodically sprayed the top of the engine block with WD40 and kept it covered. I put a piece of cardboard over the top of the engine that was cut close to the size of the block surface. I would also spray the cardboard a bit with wd40 on the block side to help sort of pickle it and keep the cardboard from wicking the top of the block dry. The cardboard protected the engine from dings or dirt/debris while I worked on other things and it lowered air exchange over the deck. When I wasn't working around the engine I'd add a plastic vapor barrier over the cardboard, loosely draped over the engine as well. The hood was still on and typically closed too of course.

WD40 has been recommended because the WD actually stands for "Water Displacement". I never use it as a lube or for any other purpose but I do like it as a way to protect iron/steel from moisture. It's a bit thin so I worry about it running off/etc. which is why I'd pull up the cardboard to inspect and respray after a heavy rain or period of time. In dry storage I'd still spray it on the top of the block and let it soak in around the rings and passages a bit. I'd also wrap the engine to minimize air exchange since when the temps shift every day if the block is cool and the air is warm/humid you can get condensation on the block. The engine will be fine for many years though I'd shift techniques if you plan to go that long and use a higher viscosity coating substance than wd40.

Last edited:
So I started replacing the head gasket just as the pandemic started. As would have it, working from home, taking care of family etc. etc. my LC fell to the bottom of my 'to do' list. Im determined to finish the job in the next couple of months (fingers crossed). At this point the head is off and the block has been under a plastic tarp inside a moisture free garage. What is the longest time has anyone kept the motor open before buttoning it up? Thanks for looking, Eddie
I'm sure I'm not anywhere near the longest. Mine was off for about 3 months. Machine shops around me weren't taking work, original head was cracked, etc...

I put down a thin film of Corrosion-X Aviation with a lint-free rag on the block surface. Before putting the head gasket on, I cleaned it off.

I'm sure I'm not anywhere near the longest. Mine was off for about 3 months. Machine shops around me weren't taking work, original head was cracked, etc...

I put down a thin film of Corrosion-X Aviation with a lint-free rag on the block surface. Before putting the head gasket on, I cleaned it off.
Mine was off for about a month. Outside in a cold rainy month. A dusting of anything that will prevent surface rust will do the trick. Don’t overthink it.

What’s with the “dislike” back and forth? That button should be reserved for heinously idiotic comments. It’s not like someone suggested pouring salt and water into the engine for the pickling effect. IMNSHO that requires a dislike. ;)

Good inputs fellas!

If the engine was rotated to TDC (cyl 1) then the pistons for cylinder 1 & 6 are all the way at the top. Just take some old rags, soak them in engine oil. Wipe them around the cylinder walls of 2,3,4,5 and then leave the rags in the bores. Spray the deck surface with WD40 occasionally to prevent surface rust. Then just clean everything up when you are ready to reinstall the head.

Clean Block1.jpg

I put down a thin film of Corrosion-X Aviation with a lint-free rag on the block surface. Before putting the head gasket on, I
What’s with the “dislike” back and forth? That button should be reserved for heinously idiotic comments. It’s not like someone suggested pouring salt and water into the engine for the pickling effect. IMNSHO that requires a dislike. ;)

Good inputs fellas!

Like when someone says you should prioritize your Land Cruiser over your family? @bencallaway

I put down a thin film of Corrosion-X Aviation with a lint-free rag on the block surface. Before putting the head gasket on, I

Like when someone says you should prioritize your Land Cruiser over your family? @bencallaway
Zap, you have great insight and inputs in this forum. In this case I’m giving Ben the benefit of doubt. I doubt anyone would prioritize cruisers over family, except maybe Onur; he prioritizes cruisers over breathing:flipoff2:

Zap, you have great insight and inputs in this forum. In this case I’m giving Ben the benefit of doubt. I doubt anyone would prioritize cruisers over family, except maybe Onur; he prioritizes cruisers over breathing:flipoff2:
Yea I was 100% joking. The fact that anyone wouldn't get that is even more funny.

Last edited:
prioritize your Land Cruiser over your family

As many on mud know, if you're playing the long game keeping the family happy is prioritizing your LC... A good balance of fun trips in the LC and other Family time help's the wife ignore the parts bills and deep-dive wrenching sessions. Bonus points come from things like extra cup holders for the passenger seats and getting your kids into working on the LC.

There's a reason the head was off my 80 for 9 months and that I'm installing step sliders way before a lot of other pending upgrades (the wife/kids will love them). I'll get there in the end and the whole family will celebrate if I play it right :) I've seen family animosity against a dad's hobby and it's a path I'd love to avoid! Always enjoy the builds on mud when you can tell the whole family is involved in enjoying the rig.

As many on mud know, if you're playing the long game keeping the family happy is prioritizing your LC... A good balance of fun trips in the LC and other Family time help's the wife ignore the parts bills and deep-dive wrenching sessions. Bonus points come from things like extra cup holders for the passenger seats and getting your kids into working on the LC.

There's a reason the head was off my 80 for 9 months and that I'm installing step sliders way before a lot of other pending upgrades (the wife/kids will love them). I'll get there in the end and the whole family will celebrate if I play it right :) I've seen family animosity against a dad's hobby and it's a path I'd love to avoid! Always enjoy the builds on mud when you can tell the whole family is involved in enjoying the rig.

^^^^^

A wise man....! 👍

I've seen family animosity against a dad's hobby and it's a path I'd love to avoid! Always enjoy the builds on mud when you can tell the whole family is involved in enjoying the rig.
Well said!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom