Head gasket now knock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, FINALLY finished the head gasket and did a shake down 80 mile round trip drive today. Ran awesome for first 40 miles. Started and ran smoothly, steady 187 degrees. No leaks. Let it set for 5 hours. Drove it back. When I started it, I noticed a small rattle, like a piece of trim was loose.

At the end of the drive, it had a pronounced knocking noise but was still running very smoothly. Tried to narrow it down with a stethoscope and loudest noise seemed to be power steering pump.

I pulled 1, 2 and 3 plug boots and no change. Belts are new Toyota. New idler pulleys, new alternator. New non-ratcheting chain tensioner. Head professionally serviced while off. Replaced power steering lines and installed aftermarket cooler in place of paperclip. Engine oil at full mark on dip stick. New Motorcraft filter. New water pump. Fan clutch new in last 5000 miles. New fan. No bottom end work when head was off, just cleaned block deck and piston tops. Crosshatching was still visible on cylinder walls. No scoring.

I attached a link to the YouTube video that shows idle to 3000 rpm.

I have not driven the truck since November. I am beyond frustrated. Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.

You pull the power steering pump?
I have not yet. Basically just listened with the scope, yelled a lot and went inside.

Plan tomorrow is take belts off then pump if noise is still there. Oddly, it sounds like the water pump when standing over it. but stuff is echoing around

Doesn't sound like a bottom end thing at all. Might be frustrating but I'm thinking you get off relatively easy once you find it.

Doesn't sound like a bottom end thing at all. Might be frustrating but I'm thinking you get off relatively easy once you find it.
Man, I hope so. I'm ready to just drive it.

Read thru your thread. On mine, the knock goes away at about 2000 rpms. I put the stethoscope all over the pan and it doesn't sound like it's coming from there. I also didn't have a head gasket failure, so no oil/water mix. Oil pressure has been good. I'm hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

Couple of questions:
  1. Does it knock when cold or only after it is heat soaked?
  2. When putting the head on, did you accidentally break one of the knock sensors?

Couple of questions:
  1. Does it knock when cold or only after it is heat soaked?
  2. When putting the head on, did you accidentally break one of the knock sensors?
I just started it up for first time today. It was much quieter when cold. Definitely seems like it's on the front of the engine. No noise from bottom that I could detect at all.

Knock sensors were completely intact after head install. Quadruple checked before putting intake manifold back on.

Here's what it sounded like after about 1 minute of warmup. 700 to 2500 rpms.

My initial thought was water pump but you rev it it sounds like steering pump.
Easy to eliminate either. Drop the belts of the water pump and try again. If the noise is still there then pull the steering pump. The noise sounds too fast to be bottom end components.

Process of elimination seems to indicate water pump. Took A/C belt off and noise remained. Took water pump belts off and it was gone. Wonder why a brand new Denso water pump would make that noise. Also inspected the pulley and it seems to be about 1/16" out of true.

When you fitted the fan and clutch assembly was the fan belt already on the pulley? If so the belt might have prevented the pulley from seating flush on the water pump.

Is the fan hitting the shroud?

What @Irish Reiver said ^. Or, possibly power steering pump. I’d loosen the belts and refit the fan clutch.

Thanks for all the responses.

I fitted the belts after everything else was assembled. Very last thing I did.

Fairgame - The power steering pump is gear driven by the oil pump, I believe. Not belt driven.

The fan isn't hitting the shroud, that was my first thought.

Ordered a new water pump and pulley. No water pumps available within 60 miles of me, despite living in a town of nearly 150,000.

I am going to pull water pump off and see what I see.

My money was on the pump for what its worth. The amount of new s*** Ive bought that is bad in the box makes it of no surprise whatsoever.

My money was on the pump for what its worth. The amount of new s*** Ive bought that is bad in the box makes it of no surprise whatsoever.
No kidding. Also, it was Aisin, not Denso...my bad. It was from Amazon, so possible I got a fake. Nothing unusual I saw when I took everything apart.

The Aisin pumps from Rockauto typically have the Toyota stamp etched out. No surer way to know it was a genuine OEM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom