HDJ81 issues when cold - fixed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1991 hdj81 with 201,000 km's. Maintenance is up to date. Daily driven.
It's normally not "cold" here.
35-45 is normal all winter.
This issue happened once before when it was 27*

It was 17* this am. Went to go grocery shopping at fired the lc up. Glow plugs cycled, truck started, non-issue.

Went to drive and got out of my drive and it won't run. No power, won't idle. Have to have my foot down to get it to do anything. After it was completely up to temp it ran normal.

Any advice? Thoughts?

Here's some videos.

hdj81 running cold issue 3 - https://youtu.be/sLFKTiaKaNw

now it's fine - https://youtu.be/R9AuEP-nbsc

So after work, same thing. So I fired it back up, and used the hand throttle to hold it at 1500 until the temp gauge moved. It ran fine.

I'm going to delete the acsd and see if that helps

Last edited:
When I had some hard cold start issues a ways back it ended up being fuel related. The problem seemed to resolve once I replaced the fuel filter primer pump assembly. Also replaced the top and bottom filter o rings along with the drain cock o ring. From what I've read, the pump plunger eventually gets worn and starts leaking air, especially when it sits overnight, which causes fuel to drain back to the tank. Had to crank it excessively to get the engine to start firing, after which it ran roughly for a bit. Then it would do fine all day, until it sat overnight again. May be a bit different than your situation though.

Mi
When I had some hard cold start issues a ways back it ended up being fuel related. The problem seemed to resolve once I replaced the fuel filter primer pump assembly. Also replaced the top and bottom filter o rings along with the drain cock o ring. From what I've read, the pump plunger eventually gets worn and starts leaking air, especially when it sits overnight, which causes fuel to drain back to the tank. Had to crank it excessively to get the engine to start firing, after which it ran roughly for a bit. Then it would do fine all day, until it sat overnight again. May be a bit different than your situation though.
Me doesn't crank it excessively. It fires right up.

And it's only done this when it's cold as ****.

It sat for 4 days while I was in Minnesota and it fired right up too.

You could try the primer when cold before a start up and while running. Primer should only require a few pumps to get firm. If primer takes many pumps then you should ensure all connections and hoses at checked/repaired.
A simple tool for checking fuel system integrity is 5/8 clear hose from fuel filter outlet to the injection pump. No bubbles is great, lots of air bubbles means some work.
You can leave the clear hose on and just put the other hose in the back stash.

You could try the primer when cold before a start up and while running. Primer should only require a few pumps to get firm. If primer takes many pumps then you should ensure all connections and hoses at checked/repaired.
A simple tool for checking fuel system integrity is 5/8 clear hose from fuel filter outlet to the injection pump. No bubbles is great, lots of air bubbles means some work.
You can leave the clear hose on and just put the other hose in the back stash.

I'll try that tomorrow morning. I saw this after I'd left for work.

It's odd that as soon as the temp is up it runs perfect. It doesn't slowly get better. It's like a switch.

Have you tried diesel additive with anti-gel. I had good luck in an old Mercedes 300d turbo using as low as -10 degrees in CO. Also, I eventually installed an aftermarket fuel filter heater that pre-heated the diesel.

Have you tried diesel additive with anti-gel. I had good luck in an old Mercedes 300d turbo using as low as -10 degrees in CO. Also, I eventually installed an aftermarket fuel filter heater that pre-heated the diesel.

I do run it.

So I think you're both right. I didn't actually make it to work. I started having issues on my drive no power it would die at idle basically it acted like it had air in the fuel. Got it home pop the hood and looked at the fuel filter assembly and noticed that I had some fuel leaking out around the sensor on top next to the plunger. I pulled the whole fuel filter assembly off drained it cleaned it didn't have an o-ring to fit so I just put it back together for now tighten the fuel filter and headed to work and it's running great. I think just as a preventative measure I'm going to replace the whole plunger assembly.

Here a thread discussing the weeping sensor.

Doing some more reading. I post this so others searching can find it.

The fuel pre heater is what is leaking.
I'm going to replace the o-rings tomorrow and order a fuel primer without a preheated(I don't have a need) to eliminate the issue.

Doing some more reading. I post this so others searching can find it.

The fuel pre heater is what is leaking.
I'm going to replace the o-rings tomorrow and order a fuel primer without a preheated(I don't have a need) to eliminate the issue.

I've only seen these available as a filter housing / fuel primer as an assembly.

You'll need to order one specific to hd-t

Partsouq.com

23301-17030

Screenshot_20211229-170038_Brave.jpg

Part number for housing with fuel heater
23301-17040 fuel heater not attached

I've only seen these available as a filter housing / fuel primer as an assembly.

You'll need to order one specific to hd-t

Exactly. There are 2 separate housings. One with and without a fuel heater.

I'm going to replace the o-rings on the heater tomorrow am and order a new housing.

So after installing a new oring on the fuel heater and verifying the fuel leak was gone. Problem is solved.

I was getting air in the fuel. Thanks to all those who suggested it.

So after installing a new oring on the fuel heater and verifying the fuel leak was gone. Problem is solved.

I was getting air in the fuel. Thanks to all those who suggested it.

Good deal. Glad you were able to get it sorted out. Air in the fuel seems to be able to create quite a range of issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom