HDJ81(Diesel) owners….what are you getting for mileage? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1HD-T 5spd with part-timer getting as bad as 7.0kms/ltr to the best of 10.52kms/ltr (9.51ltr/100kms) or about 24.89mpg(US).

That was mostly city driving, being incredibly diligent with the gas pedal.

The last tank with mixed driving I got 9.5kms/ltr (22.47mpg).

I think if I drove like a granny I would be able to get even 26-27mgp. It does make me cringe when I'm "cruising" at 100-120km/hr though. The rpm seems too high for my liking. I would have to remedy that with going with 33"-35" tires maybe.

My 80 need between 10 to 13 liters for 100 km,
average 11,5 liters at 110 - 120 km/hour on the highway.
it's a 24v with 1HD-FT

I am about the same as everyone else at approx 8km/l. I bought diesel for the possibilities of one day getting off the grid with some french fry grease. In addition the exceptional lubricants seem to give the engine a longer life then gassers.

Do not know and do not care, diesel has enough of a price advantage that even if it got worse mileage than a gas 80 I would still be doing ok:

FJ1.JPG

Driving like my Grandma...95 km/h (I wish the old girl had a real overdrive gear) I got 600km/68l today on mostly Alberta highway. I hate that she turns 2400rpm at 105-110km/h....with all that low end grunt.....its a waste screaming away on the calgary trail......

Today, back to my short trips of between 15 and 40 kms at a time average, I got 11.3 l/100, driving at that exact same average speed (which would register as 88-90 on my speedometer). So I guess your fuel economy is just about the same as mine...

The question is, what size tire are you running, what air pressure are they inflated at, and what kind of engine oil are you using?

I also find that for 'normal' north american highways speeds of about 110 kph, that the engine runs a tad high as well, that's why I'm definitely going to stay with 32"and taller tires on this truck, as it can give a 7+ % reduction in engine speed at a given true speed. Also, I find that 2,000 RPM is pretty much the optimum engine speed for cruising, but it only gives about 85kph with 30" (OEM size) tires, which is pretty much suited for the most common Japanese speed limit of 80 kph (correct me if I'm wrong).

Now with 32" or 33" tall tires, that same 85 kph is approximately 91-94 kph, much nicer. With 235/75/15 tires, whcih are about 28.5" tall, you'd have to go at about 2,300 RPMs top reach the same actual speed! ( I know that for having run these puny tires last winter)

My truck has no lift and the 32" tall tires fit perfectly. The only thing I don't like is that they are way too wide IMO for economy and they could hit the fender flares under full compression.

I'd LOVE to find 235 that are 33" or even 34" tall, but that would mean 100 aspect format, and to my knowledge only Michelin makes tires in that format and size, and they are mostly trail tires with big lugs. So I'm thinking of getting 255/85R16s or possibly 235/85R16 (sometimes they are quite close in actual diameter)

Bottom line, revving less = better fuel economy, so getting larger diameter tires is a way to reduce fuel consumption. But taller tires are not necessarily better, unless these tires are not too wide and don't flex to much. So, a 285/75 tire would definitely use more fuel than the same tire in 255/85 format, becaue of the smaller patch and less tire mass to flex. Hence tall and skinny truck type tires are better for fuel economy (and are just as robust) than fat mudders.

But I digress. There's been a lot said on tire selection, suffice it to say they can have a very large impact on fuel economy. I believe the best tire size for an HDJ81 used on the road and trails but without heavy wheeling in swamps and on rocks would probably be 800R16s (if you do mostly long distance driving) or the more common 235/85R16 (which is more general purpose).

Do not know and do not care, diesel has enough of a price advantage that even if it got worse mileage than a gas 80 I would still be doing ok:

FJ1.JPG

You are very lucky, north of Montreal I paid 102.9 per litre today, while regular gas was 108.9 per litre. The price difference between your place and mine is humongous, and although you produce oil in Alberta, your gas is much more expensive than ours! What's going on? Does your crude produce less gas and more diesel?

Oh and BTW I got my propane bill a couple of days ago, I pay 83 cents a litre before taxes, which comes up to a whopping ... 94.6 cents per litre!!!

Alberta looks more and more tempting as time goes on... That being said, how much do you pay for electricty per KWh, and what is you basic subscription fee?

The truck can carry 250ltrs and gets about 2000km before I get chicken and fill her up again.

shouldn't you have added "... and leave half my paycheck at the cashier" or something like that? ;)

250 litres!!! How much would that be where you live?

Diesel at the pumps is currently $1.32/ltr while petrol is $1.42/ltr.

I rarely fill both tanks, prefering to run a full main tank (90ltr) and carry a spare 50-100ltrs in the sub. I fill both for big outback trips where the next fuel stop can be over 1500km away.
It also keeps the cost of filling up down as in the more remote areas of Oz as diesel can be another $0.50 - $0.80/ltr more expensive in the outback.

Alberta looks more and more tempting as time goes on... That being said, how much do you pay for electricty per KWh, and what is you basic subscription fee?

Unless you have a income of 125K+ a year or a large amount of equity to bring with you entry into any real estate market not characterized by the term "the sticks" is going to be difficult to say the least.

Unless you have a income of 125K+ a year or a large amount of equity to bring with you entry into any real estate market not characterized by the term "the sticks" is going to be difficult to say the least.

I remember Dan Loubier bought a house somewhere on the Alberta-BC border just a few years ago for very little money, so I presume there still are good deals to be had in the 'sticks' (we call 'em the 'boonies' here, this is where I live, but it's become more and more crowded :D )

Just filled up. I drove this tank of fuel at 120-130 kms/hr, heavy on the throttle.

81.13 litres and 565 kms (351.07 miles)

for a total of 14.36 litres/100kms or 19.75 imperial gallons.

I am going to turn the fuel down a bit now, and drive 100kms/hr max for the next tank and see what I get.

I checked it again today, 15-40 km per trip, 90-105kph average wityh some high speed stints and some city driving, but mostly country roads in the Laurentians, 11.3 l/100. Pretty consistent with my last figures, eh? That's about 10% better than what I used to get in winter at the same speeds under the same conditions with the 15% smaller tires. All figures corrected for actual distance driven.

For those who still drive the BJ60, that's about 10% more than what you would get under similar conditions. Not bad for an engne that has twice the HP and much more usable torque!

Louis, your figures are pretty much what I got on a short trip last winter at that speed (and close to what I got doing short trips in the cold).

Getting around the same as everyone else - I don't go often without towing in-between fills and that makes her suck like any gasser.

Diesel here is still under a buck a liter, the thing pulls heavy loads around town like a tank and its engine longevity should make the enigizer bunny blush.

... and the sound of a turbo - can't beat it.

I'm getting about 18-25 per imp. gallon depending on temp., cruising speed and duration of trips. Like other owners I've noticed an exponential rise in consumption after about 100kph. When driving in the Baja this winter (slow roads, warm weather) I consistantly got 25 mpg but as soon as I got home 18 mpg.Tony

I should add that my mileage is on 33's, city driving (short bursts to 120-140) stop and go as well, and AC on all the time.

I have been forcing myself to stick to 100 max and the mileage is doing much better so far.

What 33s are you using, and are you seeing the same mileage as I with those at my speeds? I'm having a hard time finding skinny 33s on 16 inch rims with an AT or road type tread...

They are BFG at's, 285,75,16's fat and about 33 inches. I dailed the fule back a bit, and will try it again after this tank of fuel. The fuel guage is just under half and it is at 440 kms. BUt I expect the bottom half of the guage goes much quicker.

This is pretty much what I get doing the average running around with my old 285/75/16 Bridgestones... About 425-450 at half mark, but this is uncorrected, I found that these 32.5 inch tall tires need a 7.5% odometer correction. So 425 would actually be actually approx. 457km.

We need figures!!! Measure your actual wheel diameter (across, not from top to bottom, which would have the normal flat spot). If your odometer is the same as mine, that would give you a figure which you divide by 30.25 (whcih is pretty much OEM diameter), make your corrections, and fill the tank to the brim and check fuel used versus odometer.

I established the 30.25 figure after calculations from highway marker numbers over a 100km stretch, versus my actual odometer figures and my actual tire diameter.

PS is your exhaust stainless steel on this rig? I know it's got a less restrictive flow than mine (it's also louder ;) ), just wondering if it's SS and its size...

Yes it is a stainless system on it, I think it is a 3 inch, but might be 2.5 inch.

I'll measure the tire when I get a chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom