Builds HDJ81 Build - (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I drove from Clover, SC to Detroit, MI today and bought a boat 23' boat. It is aluminum, so it only weighs about 2400 pounds. The ol' HDJ81 pulled it pretty well back to the hotel. The real test will be on Thursday when I pull it back to South Carolina.

IMG_2024.jpeg

IMG_2025.jpeg

IMG_2026.jpeg

This morning I installed a new set of Big End Bearings into the ol' 1HDT. I don't know when they were last changed, so I bit the bullet and changed them out. It was a relatively easy job, and was done in about three hours from start to finish.

The old bearings didn't look that bad....

IMG_2117.jpeg

IMG_2118.jpeg

IMG_2120.jpeg

The oil pan was clean with absolutely nothing on the magnet. I am feeling pretty good about the internals of the engine after having a look inside. Over the next few days I will be replacing the water pump and timing belt.

Awesome rig! Can you take a pic of how you routed the IC pipes from the intercooler into the engine bay? I plan on intercooling my 1HZ-T and was hoping there was room to easily do it.

Timing belt and water pump replaced.... What a pain in the butt. I worked from 5:00PM to 10:30PM last night replacing them. I'm glad to be done with that.

I really didn't need to do any of it, because I found a magic marker note on the water pump that said "replaced at 202,534km" truck has just over 240K kilometers on it now.... Oh well; peace of mind...

I'm still anxiously awaiting the arrival of my 4x4Labs rear bumper. Luke has been responsive.

This morning I ordered a G-Turbo Grunter Extreme turbo. Rhys was very helpful.

The G-Turbo Grunter Extreme turbo is in and working fine. It is maxing out at 17PSI without adjusting anything (reference for boost is past the intercooler at the intake manifold, and not at the turbo). EGTs seem to be lower, but I will have to tow with it to be able to compare apples and apples.

I can honestly say that replacing the turbo on this thing was the biggest pain in the butt that I have undertaken in a long time. The G-Turbo is a direct drop-in conversion. I don't know if I would have been able to do the job without my two post car lift... I probably could have done it in half the time if I did not have nerve damage in my left hand (thank God that I am right-handed).

Ten hours and about a quart of blood, but it is in!
IMG_2192.jpeg

Last edited:
The sad part about installing such a beautiful piece of engineering is that nobody can see it, once it is installed....

Reactions: J2P
I installed a boost controller onto the new turbo and did some preliminary tuning. I have discovered that the spring clamps that hold the boost tube to the turbo are not rated for 20PSI... I had to find a constant pressure clamp to fix the tube to the turbo. I haven't blown it off since,

I re-contoured the aneroid pin and set the aneroid click adjuster. Now I have to figure out which screws are which for setting the full load adjusting screw and the idle screw...

I adjusted the main fuel screw and idle screw and this thing is awesome! It even chirps the tires now. I can't wait to get my 3" exhaust system installed.

My 4x4 Labs bumper finally arrived. It looks great!

I can't wait until I'm off the clock so that I can get started...

IMG_2259.jpeg

IMG_2260.jpeg

Let the fun begin...
IMG_2263.jpeg

TJM compressor and air lockers wired and working. Fog lights and spot lights wired and working. Transmission cooler installed with Auto/Off/On switch installed and working.

Brake controller installed.

I chose to install the yellow fog lights as a throw back to my youth when all real off-road vehicles had yellow fog lights...

I know it's been a while and you sold this truck, but I was curious if you remember... what transmission cooler did you go with? Seems to have worked out well for you.

Hey nice build,

I'm interested in which Intercooler/kit you put in and was wondering how your water/meth injection is doing.

This afternoon I ordered a Snow Performance Power-Max Water-Methanol Injection System (PN 450). Hopefully I will receive it before next weekend so that I can install it then.
more info on this snow performance kit...

please skool me I want to learn how you're using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom