HDJ80 1992, Aut, Turbo Diesel, Triple Lock, LHD, rare model ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ404345

Drive your 40 series daily !
GOLD Star
Threads
Today I was offered a HDJ80, 1992, Automatic, Turbo diesel, Triple Lock, didn't drive it still, going back Wednesday.

I'm not a diesel guy, but I think this earlier diesel engine with Turbo is going to be pretty slow

Turbo diesel, triple locks but automatic, aren't most of them 5 speeds, isn't this a rare model?

Last edited:
In stock form they are’t “fast”, but relentless. Add an exhaust, intercooler and bump the boost/fuel up and they are much better...
the difference is it’s relatively inexpensive to make the turbo diesels significantly faster than a 1FZFE motor and they’ll be more reliable.

being an early model you may want to change the Conrod bearings, it’s a cheap job but 4-5 hours of stuffing around.

find out when the injectors and pump were last serviced, as that can be a $1500-3500 job depending on condition.

do all the usual “used car” checks, and be weary of a vehicle that’s been used for heavy towing especially if it’s running the standard trans cooler. The transmission is definitely the weak point...

hey @FJ404345 that is a stellar 80 series machine to purchase. You are going to be happy with it once you care for the items mentioned above and it will perform well over the years (especially when you go to sell!) bring it to USA when you are done please!

Hi @lp2k , Thank you for your comments, that really cheered me up !.

Bought the truck, because I found it a hell of a machine, and after close 30 years it still has original paint and spotless interior.

The diesel runs smooth, starts up immediately and the transmission shifts good.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Today I was offered a HDJ80, 1992, Automatic, Turbo diesel, Triple Lock, didn't drive it still, going back Wednesday.

I'm not a diesel guy, but I think this earlier diesel engine with Turbo is going to be pretty slow

Turbo diesel, triple locks but automatic, aren't most of them 5 speeds, isn't this a rare model?

No it is not rare. Rare in the USA? Perhaps. Even rarer in LHD? Absolutely.

Not rare at all though, they were made as early as 1990 with the 442, 1HDT and diff locks.

Cheers

After that I bought it the 80 was cleaned up and took some pictures

It looked pretty nice, from 15 feet, but was it could look much beter

Rims had some weather, the paint was a little damaged on some places by some stickering it had had in the past

HDJ81- july 2021-1.jpg

Decide to pull it apart and "restore it".

At 201.000 miles the interior is perfect only the seat side supports were restored.

It had a rust spot that was reconstructed where the side bar had it's support

Repainted in the same original 045 white color

Changed the timing belt etc , Rims sand blasted and respayed, New Nos striping, new tires and OME 2" lift

Didn't take it off the frame but the rest came all of and out.

As im going to use it daily we changed the white of the wheelwells to black

Still waiting for some decals and a new grill

HFJ80 3Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 21.09.50.png

HDJ80 2Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 21.09.27.png

HDJ80 1 Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 21.09.14.png

Cheers !

Last edited:
I think the white was single stage and not 2 stage. not sure what type of restore your going for but using the correct painting process may help. Just my opinion of course. There is some difference on the white color specifically on 80 series

I have two JDM81 with the 1HD-T RHD in the shop. Parts are readily available with a little hunting. Tuning a diesel isn’t the same as tuning a gas truck. It’s fun to work on though.

hdj81-july-2021-1-jpg.2892719

Caption: "Just took my HDJ80 down to the boat ramp to launch the Karel Doorman" :hillbilly:

In what markets are these LHD HDJ's available. Love to get my hands on one.
Regards

Europe, central America
Figured. Plus Africa (which I would want to stay away from for obvious reasons). Which cities in SA would have best preserved models? Rio, Santiago, Caracas, or Buenos aires....?

Figured. Plus Africa (which I would want to stay away from for obvious reasons). Which cities in SA would have best preserved models? Rio, Santiago, Caracas, or Buenos aires....?
I can find them all day long in Nicaragua and el salvador. They are going up in price and to find a nice one will require test driving and checking history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom