HDJ80 Key Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been looking around for topics on a factory key replacement for my HDJ80. I went to my local Toyo dealer and they told me they simply couldn't do it there. The key is pretty unique I guess and they neither have the blank nor the cutting tools. I have the original VIN matching key blank that came with my cruiser. Any ideas? I have not heard back from Toyota yet. Their customer service seems to be lacking.

I have been looking around for topics on a factory key replacement for my HDJ80. I went to my local Toyo dealer and they told me they simply couldn't do it there. The key is pretty unique I guess and they neither have the blank nor the cutting tools. I have the original VIN matching key blank that came with my cruiser. Any ideas? I have not heard back from Toyota yet. Their customer service seems to be lacking.
Pics of the key style?

This is the original that came with my truck. I was actually shocked when I found out the owner still had it. The keys I use for it are copies though. The originals are gone. They don't work great on the doors so it was a nice reason to get a Viper keyless entry installed.
IMG_0912.jpg

Below is a link to a Mud member who cuts factory Toyota keys contact him he might be able to help you.

Rifleman, yeah it looks like he won't cut the profile type key. But Dan1554, as for the Lexus dealer, I just heard about that. I am going to give them a try. I would much rather have a factory cut key. With any luck, they can do it by VIN or key number. I think it would be kinda funny to have a Lexus key in my old Cruiser. I have a Lexus steering wheel in my '95. It would be a fitting trend.

Rifleman, yeah it looks like he won't cut the profile type key. But Dan1554, as for the Lexus dealer, I just heard about that. I am going to give them a try. I would much rather have a factory cut key. With any luck, they can do it by VIN or key number. I think it would be kinda funny to have a Lexus key in my old Cruiser. I have a Lexus steering wheel in my '95. It would be a fitting trend.
The lexus dealer MAY tell you to pound sand even with the VIN, as the HDJ was not originally in the USA market.

Maybe bring a box of the best donuts with you........

The key is a sidewinder and it was used in later Lexus models because it is more of a theft deterrent. Only difference is Lexus also has a chip in the key. I have read that you can buy chipless blanks cheaply online.

Some locksmiths could cut your key. Especially since you have the blank and the master.

Yeah I haven’t found anyone yet that can do it. I still haven’t been to Lexus. I plan on going this weekend.

I bought an HDJ80 in Italy whilst stationed there. Then, a Gypsy (no, really!) smashed the window and made off with my wife's purse. (the Italian Carabineri recovered the purse, minus cash, with a phone call- go figure) but then I was faced with repairing a door lock cylinder, also damaged. Then, I find that Italian law does not allow fro re-keying door lock cylinders. USAA sent me a new lock cylinder, which I had re-keyed in the US on a visit. Pertinent to you- the locksmith made me an extra key with an LX450 key blank, in about an hour. No chip, but then again, I don't have any chips in the 1991 anyhow. Hope that long winded story helps.

Just a follow up. People are gonna think I'm fancy now. Lexus did it right away and used the vehicle key code so it is a factory key. $42. So a little pricey but it is worth having a factory key I think.

IMG_0932.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom