HDJ100 swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Eleblanc, if you are interested, I found that if you raise factory boost until just before the factory fuel cutoff the ECU does give additional fuel! - enough to feel the difference and be reflected on dyno. Doesnt make as much of a difference as a chip, but is in the order of 10-12% more torque/power for not much work. I havent checked the effect on air temp sensor on power/fuel yet, thats the next thing. I dynoed it at 132kw in 4wd at the wheels. This is much higher than standard and the vehicle hasnt a single other modification (other than the EGR line blocked off). Really makes it more spritely.

How did you increase factory boost? using a boost controler?

Hi Eleblanc, if you are interested, I found that if you raise factory boost until just before the factory fuel cutoff the ECU does give additional fuel! - enough to feel the difference and be reflected on dyno. Doesnt make as much of a difference as a chip, but is in the order of 10-12% more torque/power for not much work. I havent checked the effect on air temp sensor on power/fuel yet, thats the next thing. I dynoed it at 132kw in 4wd at the wheels. This is much higher than standard and the vehicle hasnt a single other modification (other than the EGR line blocked off). Really makes it more spritely.

Tire update!

Took the HDJ100 wheel, got them sandblasted and painted Duplicolor graphite!
Tires Goodyear duratrac 285/75R16
IMG_0107.jpg
IMG_0108.jpg

Looks great.

Shift Kit for A750

Can anyone recomend a good one for behind a 1HDFTE in LC 100 series?

I'll take that you have some and you will put them in the box coming for me? BTW is that ready?

BTW, i'm going to have to remove that V8 on the back, anyone has a good suggestion with what i should replace it? Any nice "Turbo diesel" from toyota?

Proberly a lil late but
These are the early td 100 rear quart stickers
Toyota Landcruiser series 100 turbo decals, stickers | eBay
These are the later 100series ones
2 x Toyota Landcruiser series 100 turbo decals stickers | eBay
This guy also has the factory cab stickers to suit the 1hdfte ute/pickup that read Di-turbo 4200efi and this guy changed the letters and numbers around for me but kept the factory colour,font and size,look to Fi-turbo 4500efi, to suit my turbod 1fz ute,
so you get him to keep the toyota looking sticker but say what ever you like

Nice project and work

This video deserves to be here

The cabin is not that loud! i was using a remote microphone located near the turbo and air filter.

Last edited:
Awesome! I just spent the morning reading your swap for the first time and then you posted this sweet vid.
Thanks!!

Nice video. You've got a significant amount more engine and exhaust noise than the factory diesel 100. Have you got a missing seal somewhere or is the factory sound deadening different between the petrol and diesels?

Dougal, this video was a test using a remote microphone in the engine compartiment. The remote microphone was located right next to the air filter box near the turbo.

It is not that noisy at all in the cabine. I should do a other video with cabine sound.

Nice video. You've got a significant amount more engine and exhaust noise than the factory diesel 100. Have you got a missing seal somewhere or is the factory sound deadening different between the petrol and diesels?

That makes perfect sense then. It sounded like your rear hatch was open and the exhaust exiting inside.

I miss the Landcruiser diesel engine noise and feeling :crybaby:

As 2nd car, I bought a Golf SW TDI... interesting, but have not cured me

Nice , Fun project

Sounds great. i assume you are talking about sheldon from G&S Cruisers or 70'sguy here on mud. I just finished my 96 FZJ swap with a 1HD-T and an A442F. I live a few bloks from sheldon and you couldn't have teamed up with a better guy. can't wait to see your progress.

Cheers.

You guys don't read the 100 section of the forum euh?

quick resume why i've bought a hdj100. While My Montero is still worth a few $, i started shoping for a replacement. I bought my Dad Fjcruiser last year in febuary but sold it two month ago. With 3 kids the Fj was not a winner at all, those door are a pain. Then started looking at the new 4runner, very expensive over here, close to 50k and still it is not a landcruiser. Might have looked into lx450 or 470 but they are rare, very very rare and ultra expensive. So i decided i would buy a lc100 from the US. And then i found this rolled HDJ100........obviously it is not going into the 42.

Heck if Toyota don't want to sell diesel in Canada, might just built one myself. You just can't get the toyota diesel bug away...

I wanted to do a swap that didn't need tons of fabrication. Sheldon help me in the decision making of this project. And finding a LHD HDJ100 help this thing started

So once this baby is on the boat i will be searching for a 2001-2002 LC100 high mileage in the US, no rust and clean inside. Dan look in your area. I don't mind flying down south west and driving back.

Thread i started in the 100 section.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/356256-new-owner-crazy-project.html

Shift Kit for the A442F?

Where can you get a shift kit for the A442F and would it work with a 1HD-T?

Cheers.

Hi eleblanc,

I just finished my conversion 2006 1HDFTE 5spd Auto into 2000 LX470.

Runs really great. I had all sorts of issues getting it running that ALL turned out to be due to 2 or three dumb things on my side.

I chipped it and already blew the transmission. But 12 hours quick work and I had the trans out, I replaced a clutch pack, reassembled and installed back in car.

I recently fitted a shift kit to the transmission. Now a completely different story - very quick firm shifts that I would reccomend to anyone with an A750. Also if yours is the A442F, I would definately install a shift kit or at least increase the tension on the spring that limits the line pressure.

I will be doing every bit of performance enhancement that I am able to on this vehicle.

I have only just learned of your conversion from Dougal, so not sure what you are planning as far as performance is concerned.

All the best, Graeme

There isnt an off the shelf shift kit for the A442F; you need to do an exchange from a company like Wholesale automatics in Melbourne.

The A750F is a different story; for a lot less $ you can get a shift kit to do yourself. There is a company here in Perth that sells them; I think they are called "Driveline".

Also aon all the electronic line pressure control boxes, you can intercept the line pressure solenouid and stiffen up the changes that way. Mine makes 230whp at the moment and if I want it >750nm at crank at 1800rpm. I am having some further gearbox issues (slipping under full torque) which once I intercept the line pressure solenoid should no longer be an issue, but just a word of caution for those with chipped up 1HDFTE and the 5 speed auto - chip with no gearbox mods can = gearbox death.

Hey Eleblanc,

Now that you've settled into life with your HDJ100, hows it treating you?

Been driving it for 16 month now. Done about 28-30 thousands miles. It has been doing great, i love the truck, at low speed, stop and go, you have that heavy duty feel with typical rrroowing of diesel and at highway speed, the silence of a gas engine. And 20-22 mpg!!

Issue i have had after initial fixes;
1- a leaking PS pump, mostlikely due to the 2 years of inactivity of the engine. now fixed
2- AHC off light that randomly have blinked, for now it as been resolved with a simple over night or a quick stop and start. I suspect the center accumulator, i have one spare here so i will eventualy change it.
3- And this morning first time it let me down, one alternator belt that broke. I should have change the 3 belts while i had the engine on a bench....
4- And i'll be due in the coming month for front brake
5- I still have tranny to Tc seal leak, but so minor it is not dripping on the ground.

Related to the truck but now reliability wise, last summer got go rearended by a suburban. New tail gate, lights, bumper, etc.. and yesterday got my winter tires stolen for the second time.

The only bad side about the truck, i would have to say, is the fact that i live in Canada where winter are cold and the truck is diesel. I had so much pitty for the thing when i cold started it, i had to do something and went on to buy a Webasto. Now with a remote i can remotely start and stop the webasto. When i get in the truck i have instant heat and a smoothly running engine.

Other then that, i think my wife also like the heavy duty noise and feel of the truck (BTW it is not that bad at all), as soon she need to carry soemthing heavier then 15-20 pounds she take the LC! I have to prevent her cause when she goes shopping she will try to fill the back of the truck, and you know it is not small.

Hey Eleblanc,

Now that you've settled into life with your HDJ100, hows it treating you?

So, my beloved HDJ100, which i've put huge amount of time, working on and thinking about, as now changed hand. It has been a year since i've been playing with idea of either retiring it from our salty winter road or sell it. Having put so much time into this project i wasn't yet convinced i could let it go. SO last spring i bought my self a small car for commute to the office and kept the HDJ. But i quickly realized i didn't like DD a car and wanted a truck. After 9 years salt was showing is work on the under carriage and before the body got affected i didn't want to drive it in the winter anymore, but the car didn't cut it. I sold the car, bought a 2018 4runner and took some time to resolve minor issue on the HDJ before putting it on sale. I knew of one person that might be interested in it, and which i knew, would properly use it and take great care in it, but he already has load of LC and would probably pass on it. Anyhow, when i spoke to him, i told him the HDJ will soon officially be on the market.... Couples of week later, he calls me and want to buy the LC. So, David*BJ70 is the new and proud owner. He is a friend and probably the most hardcore cruiserhead Canada as to offer. I couldn't hope for a better person to sell the truck too, within 5 minutes of is call, it was a done deal. He plans on making an overlanding rig and hit Mojave Desert soon with it! So if you ever come across a Beige 100, without the V8 badge in the back…well yes it is running a 1HD-FTE!.

On that i relenquish ownership of this thread to David! Have fun Buddy! And i will update my signature!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom