HDJ100 swap (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The UZJ dash completely removed with a bunch of stuff, the engien bay is empty and ready to receive the HDJ 2nd battery tray, and the liner that the UZJ doesn't have, then reinstall everything missing :idea:

Not shown the fuel tank pipping, tank and filler has been installed under the truck
IMG_2239.jpg
IMG_2240.jpg
IMG_2241.jpg

Note, we are transfering the HDJ tilt column to the UZJ, but the HDJ was gray and the UZJ tan. So the lower trim of the column is required. Manual, automatic column trim are not the same.....bought at lexus dealer for 65$

Eric

The engine bay firewall wiring harness is back in place (no drilling required) the brake hose need one welded nut that is not on the UZJ firewall, easily fixed with a insert (AK type). Still have to transfer, AHC, and AC hose on the firewall (not show on picture)
IMG_2244.jpg

second battery tray installed, welded and painted (note that the engien bay of the HDJ has some heat insulator pads on the fender, they were transfered to the UZJ body, fits perfectly.
IMG_2245.jpg

HDJ dash harness hanging on the UZJ body, it needs to be the first thing back in place, then the AC and heat and finally that steel cross bar. Before i started this i read that most people didn't want to do this swap due to all the electronics involved, if the donor vehicule harness are complete, it is really a piece of cake, no need to skin weld wires, unplug and replug, there are just a ton of them lol, pretty scary at first. You really need the right tools to unplug all those connectors, wiggle..pry...wiggle..pry...pull..wiggle and they usually come out, i suck big time at this, i usually end up breaking plastic clip, philippe is doing most of it and he is good...
IMG_2246.jpg
IMG_2249.jpg

Last edited:
The 1HD-FTE uses a fly by wire throttle, the V8 is cable, so you need to swap pedal assembly. The V8 pedal asembly have a electronic box botled to it for the traction control and stability control. None of that is on the HDJ, i guess it depends what year the donor is. Not a big loss as far as i am concerned.

First picture is HDJ pedal assembly, second are the holes that will need to be drill and a insert installed to bolt the pedal assembly, there is a 3rd one lower not shown on the picture, but the pads does have all the opening.

There is a stud missing on the UZJ firewall in order to bolt a control box, we are going put a insert again.
IMG_2247.jpg
IMG_2248.jpg

alot of work done today

Engine bay about done, waiting to receive frame, dash harness reinstalled with post, steering column and pedals.
IMG_2253.jpg
IMG_2254.jpg
IMG_2255.jpg

We started on the engine to remove the injector pipes and remove the injector.....

With the gunk in the intake, i've decided to remove the intake and get it cleaned, i'm going to cancel the EGR after that.

Tomorrow we are going to put the body back on the frame.
IMG_2251.jpg
IMG_2252.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's a lot of gunk in the intake! It looks pretty dry and crumbly though, whereas the intake in my FZJ was a lot wetter/oily looking.

Wow, that's a lot of gunk in the intake! It looks pretty dry and crumbly though, whereas the intake in my FZJ was a lot wetter/oily looking.

No dry at all...

Wow. You are making me proud to be a Canadian. Being from Montreal, I hope you dont take offense to being referred to as Canadian ;) .

Karl

Absolutely not, i'm french, from Québec but most of all a proud Canadian... thanks!

Not much to report today, we got the injectors out of the engine to be checked, i should get them tomorrow unless the shop report a problem. We are going to wait until i receive all the part from japan before putting the body over the frame.

Once the body is on the frame we are going to lay the dash, hook up batteries and check if all the electrical things do work.

Right now we are waiting.

I've got the intake manifold soak in Castrol super clean, but i think it will need some kind of steam pressure to clean it really good.

Wow. You are making me proud to be a Canadian. Being from Montreal, I hope you dont take offense to being referred to as Canadian ;) .

Karl

Last edited:
Small update, i received yesterday my parts from japan4x4, very quick delivery. I also got the injector checked, 2x had a bad spray, so they were cleaned and now back to normal. The intake manifold is back like new, i had it washed in those large industrial engine block cleaner. So today we've put the injector back in place, and change the tensionner and timing belt. tomorrow morning we are going to put the bady back on the frame, hook up what ever is possible. And if time allow, i'm going to get 2 new batteries, drop the dash in place and hook it up and turn the key and see what happens!

Last edited:
Back together! Deciding to pull the frame out was the best decision yet. took half a hour to get them back together, very easy.

EDIT: i should have bought a new Camera for this, all my pictures sucks..sorry!
IMG_2262.jpg
IMG_2263.jpg
IMG_2265.jpg

Last edited:
Artistic pic!
IMG_2266.jpg

Slap a DIESEL decal on there!
Toyota part number 74559-89101
1HD-T FJ80 fuel.jpg

Slap a DIESEL decal on there!
Toyota part number 74559-89101

I'll take that you have some and you will put them in the box coming for me? BTW is that ready?

BTW, i'm going to have to remove that V8 on the back, anyone has a good suggestion with what i should replace it? Any nice "Turbo diesel" from toyota?

What about this, from a Prado
diag_1zHo8ME.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom