HDJ100 swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Too bad...
From what I heard, it's gonna be cheapper to ship the truck back and forth to France!
May be you could have a look on Euro boards, where there's many of HDJ+AHC
(even if the more frequent question is "do I and how to get rid of this?")
Some french boards:

forum4x4.com
My80isfantastic - Accueil (there's a new LC100 section)
my100isfantastic (yahoo mail)list

On the toyota-tech.eu web site when you are registered you can click to download the software, but to do so you need to supply dealer information and the serial of the intelligent tester II. So there maybe hope. I also email toyota europe and told them i was traveling in Canada with a HDJ from france, and needed a key programed....will see what happened. I can't beleive this can't be done. Good thing the part guy at my dealer really want to help.

Eric

Too bad...
From what I heard, it's gonna be cheapper to ship the truck back and forth to France!
May be you could have a look on Euro boards, where there's many of HDJ+AHC
(even if the more frequent question is "do I and how to get rid of this?")
Some french boards:

forum4x4.com
My80isfantastic - Accueil (there's a new LC100 section)
my100isfantastic (yahoo mail)list

I found this for the DTC codes and how to get them without a reader.

Attachments

• 1032367 DTC tabel.pdf
    44.4 KB · Views: 6,747
  • 1032367 technical explanation.pdf
    151.2 KB · Views: 251
Oups, you make me remember I have this FSM in french ... just in case...

BTW, I did a test few minutes ago...
I have to be in "Low" to be able to lock the rear diff.
And, once the car is driven in low (when brakes are released ?), I have to put the gear on "N" to be able to change the transfert position.
Shifter looks locked if I stay in "P" mode, but only once the car have moved)
Not sure I'm clear... but you have enough clue to do your test :D

Amazing!

You should take it back to that dealer and see what the service guy says! Yo kid!

What a cool build and great write up! Thanks! Wanna sell it?! Ha

Awesome ! so tell us, after all the time, labor, blood, sweat and tears... was it worth it ?

The only fact that there is only one (or SOOOO few) LHD HDJ100 in NA worth it !

This own built project is priceless

Edit : (toojayzee, your's is awesome too)

Last edited:
Awesome ! so tell us, after all the time, labor, blood, sweat and tears... was it worth it ?

Sure! obsolutely...there are a few thing to correct and it will make things better!

Things done and off the to do list

- Fix O/D switch (probably forgot to plug the connector). O/D is now working but for some reason the O/D light in the cluster does not light up!
- Gas pedal is now working fine, it was probably dried up.
- Radio is installed.. AWESOME unit, antenna works fine!
- Did a complete oil change with new filter, i used rottela 10W30 CF-4 with oem filter.
- Mirror controller had to be swap, seems like the internal wiring is not the same as the HDJ, mirror are not working.

To do list;

- Rear door window, i need to swap door harness, will try to use the 2 wires of the hdj harness to operate the 5 wires window motor of the uzj, hopefully i will not explode a window.
- Rear speaker, will work when the above harness in the doors are changed.
- A/C; Order a pipe to at least have the single A/C operate. (i still have to decide if i set it up dual A/C, for that i need to have current to the rear AC climiate control.
- Moon roof, the hdj didn't have any therefore there weren't any plug to supply moon roof ecu with current. I've already installed a wire under the dash to feed that pilar wire, i need to decide were to feed this new wire with ignition current.
- disconnect EGR
- replace intercooler pipe protector (ordered)
- Replace air filter (ordered)
- replace hood cylinders.
- Find a flush mount usb connector in order to have the Kenwood usb connector accessible.
- Swap to rear accumulator to be certain one is faulty.
- Remove the now useless JBL amp.

Last edited:
Very inspiring project, I love my 100 with TRD supercharge, just not the fuel economey......

I would feed the sun roof to the fuse panel and add a circuit if possible.

Rob:cheers:

- Fix O/D switch (probably forgot to plug the connector). O/D is now working but for some reason the O/D light in the cluster does not light up!
- Gas pedal is not working fine, it was probably dried up.
- Radio is installed.. AWESOME unit, antenna works fine!
- Did a complete oil change with new filter, i used rottela 10W30 CF-4 with oem filter.
- Mirror controller had to be swap, seems like the internal wiring is not the same as the HDJ, mirror are not working.

To do list;

- Rear door window, i need to swap door harness, will try to use the 2 wires of the hdj harness to operate the 5 wires window motor of the uzj, hopefully i will not explode a window.
- Rear speaker, will work when the above harness in the doors are changed.
- A/C; Order a pipe to at least have the single A/C operate. (i still have to decide if i set it up dual A/C, for that i need to have current to the rear AC climiate control.
- Moon roof, the hdj didn't have any therefore there weren't any plug to supply moon roof ecu with current. I've already installed a wire under the dash to feed that pilar wire, i need to decide were to feed this new wire with ignition current.
- disconnect EGR
- replace hood cylinders.
- Find a flush mount usb connector in order to have the Kenwood usb connector accessible.
- Swap to rear accumulator to be certain one is faulty.

How come you didn't come by while we were wrenching like crazy on it? i was expecting to see you. Did they send you far out in Quebec doing your job? Maybe we were too fast? :D

The only fact that there is only one (or SOOOO few) LHD HDJ100 in NA worth it !

This own built project is priceless

Edit : (toojayzee, your's is awesome too)

Aaaah ! You know Éric, I do not invite myself into a project like this where, sometime, a pair of hands in extra is a ''disturbing'' extra pair of hands. To much is like not enough... especially in a project like this where there's big wrenching but also so many small finishing.

But read it as you write it make me regret not having put my perspiration in your project :(

Yeah even being two; Me and Philippe, to have work on this was not the most effective way to go at it. Since some things weren't removed by me it was not always easy to figure out how it had to go back.

Last edited:
Eric,
All I can say is WoW!

I stumbled across a link back here from ExPo and enjoyed every minute of reading this. I'll likely never have a 100 series and will certainly never swap a diesel into one, but my hat is off to your project and your crew's work. Amazing and inspirational.

Here's to getting those few loose ends tied up and starting to enjoy the ride in your unique Land Cruiser.:cheers:

when you lower the truck the light will stay in "L" when finished, when you drive and go over 20 or 40kms/hr it will go up automatically to N, same when you have it in high.

Small update

- Rear door window, all fonctionning normally, they go down all the way, not really small child safe but my daugthers are old enough not to jump out. But at least the drivers controls can lock the windows.
- Rear speaker, i had to route one wire from the radio to the RR speaker wire in the plug that connect to the now useless JBL amp under passenger seat, all good now
- Moon roof, Is now hook using a mini fuse tap circuit, this; https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/448329-fuse-tap-circuit.html
- replaced hood cylinders. hood stays up now!
- I swapped the rear accumulator, no doubt one is bad. So i should get some used one soon to have them recharged.

To do list;

- disconnect EGR, i placed something in the vaccum hose that control the EGR valve and...removed it. It didn't feel the truck was unchanged. I'm not convince that blocking the vaccum hose is the way to do this, even if alot of people on oversea board say it is the way to do it. I will instead put a blank flange AND block the vaccum hose. My guess is that exhaust pressure could push that valve open until boost is high enough to close it. I say vaccum hose, might be pressure i don't know.
- Replace failed accumulator.
- Put some lubricant in the windows rails.

Last edited:
Wow, tres cool Éric. Felicitations!

- Put some lubricant in the windows rails.
You mean the caoutchouc rails ?
Normalement ce sont les petites fibres synthetiques (genre velour) qui assurent le glissement
I'm surprised they're already worn out.
Maybe you could wash them with water+soap

You mean the caoutchouc rails ?
Normalement ce sont les petites fibres synthetiques (genre velour) qui assurent le glissement
I'm surprised they're already worn out.
Maybe you could wash them with water+soap

The HDJ motor i swap may not have the strength the uzj one. Don't know, will spray something and will see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom