Having starting issues on a 71 FJ40 that ran fine up until today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40 MATT

SILVER Star
Threads
Went to start a 71 FJ40 that I’ve had running and driving fine until today. I went to start it and it cranks, has spark at the points and has gas pumping to the carb. Got it to run for 5 minutes straight and then stalled and has not started since. The electric fuel pump on it wasn’t priming so I went and picked up a new one today hoping that would resolve it and it just keeps going to start and runs for a second and dies. Pulled the plugs and cleaned them up and same thing. I felt the coil and it felt really hot and not sure if the clamp on the engine was grounding it good enough and that’s why it was getting hot. The coil didn’t have a resistor on it so wondering if that could be a problem as well. If anyone has ran into the same sort of issues and can give any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys

Last edited:
Going to see how things go today , if anyone has any ideas of what it could be feel free to chime in

Open the point gap.

Loose wire at the ballast resistor?

It will start with a bad ballast resistor but it will not run. At least that is a problem I had until I replaced the ballast resistor.

As yours does seem to run sometimes, maybe a bad wire or connection.

Had a coil go out recently and it did the same thing, start for a moment and die. Coils get hot, but shouldn’t be burning hot! New coil fixed the problem. As Mark said make sure your points are opening and closing! Run power direct to pos coil to eliminate a ign switch issue. Make sure your fuel Cut-off solenoid is working as well!

Had a coil go out recently and it did the same thing, start for a moment and die. Coils get hot, but shouldn’t be burning hot! New coil fixed the problem. As Mark said make sure your points are opening and closing! Run power direct to pos coil to eliminate a ign switch issue. Make sure your fuel Cut-off solenoid is working as well!

Thanks Brian going to try that when I get home from work. Forgot to mention it has a Weber carb on it

Hey Brian just wanted to say thanks it was the coil. I swapped another one on and she fired right up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom