Have you ever needed a full sized spare on an 80 series? (1 Viewer)

Have you ever needed a full sized spare on an 80 series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dirtyboots

Atrocious Driving
Threads
How many 80 owners have put on their full sized spare? This is specific to the 80 as they are heavy beasts, and I wonder if tire failure beyond simple repair is common.

I have never seriously wheeled an 80 series and am in the process of building one. After developing a severe dislike for swing outs, the option of a smaller sized spare (temporary donut type or just small enough to fit) in the stock location, or stowed in the cargo area is very appealing. A 315 anywhere is not. The topic is simply if you have had to utilize your full sized spare. And if so, it would be interesting to know if a smaller sized tire would have sufficed.

Not interested in anecdotes on the best way to carry a full sized tire, why it's important, etc., just want to know some odds. I also understand that some clubs / trail rides require a full sized spare.

It could be extremely good luck but after 20+ years of wheeling Jeeps, Broncos, Hilux, 40 series, and even soccer mom Expeditions (don't ask), I have never had a tire fail beyond what could be repaired on the rim. Tellico, Moab, SE Asia, Central America, So. AZ, nada.

Having a viscus coupler keeps me and i am sure others from running different size tires. Not sure if one small tire would cause the VC to lock up but I do not want to be driving down hwy with a locked VC. I had to replaced my t-case ($2000) as my VC was locking up, don't want to do that again.
I about got in a head on collision when Firestone replaced my tires with two different brand tires of the same size on my chevy truck. They were no the same diameter even though they all said 235x75x15. I couldn't get the t-case to unlock after the different diameter tires bound up the t-case. Every so often the tires would break free from the binding up and send my in the other lane. One of my coworker truck drivers was driving South as I was driving North, I started to wave at him as the tires broke free. He must of thought I was messing with him as I entered his lane as he passed me by. Its not a good feeling then that happens.

IF you must do this, get manual locking hubs so you can avoid binding up the driveline.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, extremely valid. I'll be running a split case though. Beyond the technicalities, have you mounted your full sized spare?

Yes, I have mounted full size spare several times but never when wheeling. With the recall of millions of valve stems a while back, I got one of the bad ones. Not wanting to sit all day to get tire fixed, I mounted the full size spare and finished what I was doing and picked the tire up later.
I almost had to when wheeling with steel rims. I slid into a rock and bent the steel rim. Had it been aluminum I am sure it would of busted it and wheeling home with reduced ground clearances is another thing I don't want to deal with when in the back country.
If I needed 285's to get in, I will need 285's to get out.

I have used my own spare once for myself and once so someone else could use. Luckily we both ran same size tire. Looking back ive decided to just always run the spare. Because of the VC I'll never even consider running anything other than what my other tires are.

@Dr Gil, pay attention to this thread

If you dont need the ground clearance and don't wheel hard on sharp rocks the chances of getting a flat on Forest Service trails is slim to non.

I did hit a deer so hard it put hair in the bead but didn't lose any air pressure. I have no idea how that happened the the hair was still there when the tires were changed when they wore out.

I did get a new tire that had a bad belt that I had to fight for a couple weeks to get the vendor to replace. Glad I had a full size spare.

When I first got 255/85's on my truck, I had a 305 spare. For Christmas, my present from my dad was a (no kidding) Christmas wrapped 255 for a spare.

So yeah, full size spare or you are courting drivetrain issues.

'nuff said?

Edit: This WAS my spare. Not the same size and under inflated, but it had more air than the flat that was on there. Until this.

20140419_182238.jpg

Last edited:
And number 2. Do I get to vote twice? Sure, it could be repaired on the rim, but without an air compressor we needed the full size spare to get out. As stated previously, "I needed the 285's to get in, I needed them to get out too."

2015-04-05 14.11.02.jpg

It's your post, so you can say it's 80 specific if you want. I'll agree the question of "do you carry a full size spare on your 80, and why?" would be 80 specific ...and the viscus coupler and full time 4 wheel drive is the answer. The question of have you ever needed to use your spare; is not very 80 specific.

I've also been lucky. I've only used a spare once, in almost 40 years of driving. There was a second time I needed a spare, but being negligent, I didn't have one. I ruined a buddy's trip and had him drive me to town. Bought a new tire. Went back and put the new tire on, and then we drove out. That was selfish of me, and generous of my buddy. Now I try to carry a spare.

As much of a pain putting a 315 tire on the roof is, I bring a full size spare everywhere. When wheeling, my club (I am an officer, so I kinda hafta adhere to the rules) requires a full size spare if you are running DOT tires. If you have tubes or AGs, thats a different story...

I don't want to run into any powertrain issues with a full time 4x4 rig just because one wheel is spinning much faster than the other three. As mentioned before, much better to have and not need than the other way around. Chance favors the prepared!!

Lots of times. Once a 100 series cut two tires, bunch of other Toyota rigs with the same size spare, but 6 lug.:doh: Luckily were able to stuff a bunch of plugs (like 12) in one of them to get back to town.

Even if your not AWD, how many miles do you want to run with a smaller tire? Let's say you cram a 33 under the truck and you're running 35s, that's a big difference, a diff will not be happy after long. If you had hubs up front, well... slightly more mangable but have you ever driven a truck with a small tire on one side of the steering axle, or any axle for that matter? It does not handle well.

To answer your original post; I have had to put a full size spare on, yes indeed.

Losing a bead when running low pressure and asking too much of the front left tire is part of how my truck rolled in the first place.

Had to put my full size 315 spare on to get it off the mountain. Fortunately with the truck upside down we didn't have to jack it up to change it :/

Yes I have needed the full size spare several times. A couple of times due to sidewall cuts that I could not get plugs to hold and once when a hidden branch sliced my valve stem off in a mud pit, tire was full of mud by the time I could get it up to a place to address. All three times I had driven over 2.5 hours to trail head and it was a holiday weekend so not many tire shops available.

I wouldn't go out with out a spare cause that the one time I would need it.

Too many times to count. At one point I carried 2 spares, but that was years ago when I was running BFG products with their buttery soft sidewalls. Went to the original MT/Rs and lost 1 sidewall. Went to Swampers in '04 and haven't looked back. I've lost a few beads, but never a puncture.

I always carry a full size spare the same way I always carry a first aid kit and fire extinguisher and recovery gear, and tools, and parts, and...

Have not needed it yet myself on the 80, but any other vehicle I have ever had, I always wish for full size spare rather than a donut. Have been glad to run full size for past 15 years on a 4 runner, maxima, Hj61, a couple vans, a focus and the 80.

I have not, but I will always travel with one... of course I have stock tires so it's not tough to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom