Has anyone tried this floppy mirror fix? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chris FJ80

SILVER Star
Threads
I am on my second driver side mirror and now it too has gotten floppy.

I decided to go the route of using a "bolt" to compress the spring, but really wanted the wires (both the OEM motor wires and my aftermarket heating pad wires) to be able to route up through the center post.

I looked at using one of those threaded tubes used in ceiling fans, but the inside diameter was a bit small and the metal and threads seem cheap enough that I worry about them failing and being back at square one.

So I took a trip to Ace hardware and got a 3" long ¼" diameter steel pipe nipple and a couple of 9/16" nuts (18 thread per inch IIRC), ground down the top of the post about ¼" to ½", opened up the inside diameter just enough using a carbide burr, and then slid the nipple in with a washer on each side. I was able to compress the spring enough by hand that I did not need to make a special tool or use a c-clamp to get the nut on.

It seems pretty robust but I have no idea how well the pipe thread will hold.

Before I mount it back on the truck I wanted to see if anyone has tried this before with success or failure. Or has any warnings about the materials, since they are not designed for this.

The other alternative I was considering was drilling through a M14 bolt. I started this today and got about ⅔ of the way through but snapped a drill bit deep inside, which is now preventing me from continuing to drill it out. (I don't have a drill press, so have been drilling by hand with a ½" chuck Milwaukee.)

IMG_1056.jpg
IMG_1058.jpg
IMG_1059.jpg
IMG_1060.jpg
IMG_1061.jpg

Thanks. The spring is compressed pretty tight, but was thinking i should hit it with loctite too. I'll do that

I had a floppy mirror and couldn't find a fix for it online. The "shim" slid into two grooves on the stud. One of the grooves gave way (probably from abuse). I used my Dremel to cut two grooves 90* to the original grooves. I then used a pvc pipe with slot cut in the bottom and a wood clamp to slide the shim into the new grooves.

BTW, did Toyota use a valve spring in the mirrors?

20150630_131449.jpg

I did it but used a nylon security nut. You can use Locktite also.

Thanks all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom