Has anyone successfully put a 2FE or 3FE into an FJ60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see quite a few 2FEs in 40s and 62s but I havent been able to find one definitively in a 60, which is what I'm planning to do. I have a few fitment questions. A 3FE install would have the same issues.

1. How did you deal with the rod vs cable throttle linkage?
2. How did you provide a high pressure fuel feed and how did you add the fuel return line.

Godwin has a 3FE in a 60, not sure if he has a write up though..

I don't know but someone put a 3FE in my 62!!!

Ok that's not funny - - I'll go look for more advice on de-smogging now.

I see quite a few 2FEs in 40s and 62s but I havent been able to find one definitively in a 60, which is what I'm planning to do. I have a few fitment questions. A 3FE install would have the same issues.

2. How did you provide a high pressure fuel feed and how did you add the fuel return line.

You already have a fuel return line. Probably on the same (passenger) side as the FJ62. This should be an easy modification.

The high pressure fuel supply can be resolved two ways. 1) install an external pump from your tank. 2) Install a tank from a FJ62 with the internal pump and make the plumbing modifications.

As far as the linkage it would seem you could ditch the rod system and just use the pedal and cable from the FJ62. This should be an easy bolt on.

Certainly this has been done by somebody by now.

Thanks for the replies.

Am I correct in assuming there would be no radiator/fan shroud mods necessary for the 2FE into the 60?

What would be the the best configuration for the PS pump/smog pump/alt/ac comp? A la 60, or 62?

Does anyone know if this will pass smog in California when complete?

1) fan shroud will match the block and water pump (2F)
2) I'd go with what was in the truck (60 in your case)

3FE in the 60 still going strong after a dozen plus years and > 200k miles and it was 90% bolt-in.

I did two writeups, one a 2-3 series in Toyota Trails and the second a condensed version that made it into 4Wheeler magazine (this may still be online). So those are out there if you can find a copy, but the collective knowledge and experience contained here on MUD far surpasses what I put together.

Essentially what I did was take a parts rig FJ62 and swap over the engine, fuel system, wiring harness, exhaust, and the little stuff.

For the gas pedal I mixed and matched the 60 and 62 pedals into one. I used the 60 mount so it would bolt in and the 62 portion to connect the throttle cable. A hole was drilled in the firewall to run the cable into the engine compartment.

Yep, It's still there - "Fuel Injection for an Older Land Rover". Snagged it. Super-valuable information there. Thank you.
As neither exhaust will match up without modification, should I use the 62's with just two extenders at the beginning? Or are there other interferences along the way, tranny/transfer case for example, that would prohibit this? That would eliminate the crossover under the frame rail and the skid plate mods. What are the arguments for staying with the 60 exhaust?

That would eliminate the crossover under the frame rail

I see I was mistaken here. I didn't realize the under-frame crosover was a regular feature of the 62. I thought it was a mod to make the system work on the 60. So, other than fabricating a downpipe to tie the two sides together, what are the negatives of using the 60's system. Backpressure?

I would think as long as your 60 system is in good shape, just wying together after the O2 sensors and mating to the old exhaust would do the trick. I think many have wyed just down from the manifolds and run the 2 sensors inline in the combined flow... I would keep the two banks separate till after the sensors.... I suppose you will need to figure out what you want for cats, being in California, but you should be able to run everything inside the frame rail and save the rock catching headache. My truck has dual pipes back to a cheap dual in, single out muffler.

Just bought an 88 FJ62 that I think spun a bearing and I want to use it as a donor vehicle to convert the 2F in my 85 FJ60 to a 2FE. I have already been picking Curtis's (RockDoc) brain and he has been a wealth of info! Thanks again Curtis!

Luckily the 62 is complete and was running so I will be able to use it for just about everything to do the conversion, but I know I will be hanging out here for the wealth of info available by all those that came before me in going down this road. I love my 60, but it had issues because of the PO's attempt at de-smogging it so this was a very timely and cheaper solution to what I was going to do (chevy transplant).

Thanks in advance!

I have done it in Cali legally. The rig is currnetly without engine while I fix a couple of issues but when it is back on the road you are welcome to test drive it but now it will have an H42 and an FJ62 t-case. PM me if you have any other specific questions.
Where are you located?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom