Has anyone hit a rock so hard the diff separated a little? (Warning!!! GRAPHIC AXLE DAMAGE INSIDE) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can also slid the drive flange back on install the snap ring and that well give you something more to pull on.
^ ^ ^ What Broski said. ^ ^ ^

Maybe a silly question, but before trying to pull the axle did you orient the flat spot on the Birfield bell to the top, 12 o'clock position? The flat spot is hard to see when the axle is installed, but easy to feel if you run your fingers around the Birfield bell.

I usually pull on the drive flange while rotating the axle slightly back and forth and with a little up and down movement, but always with the flat spot on the Birf rotated to the top. Spin/wiggle/curse...should get there.

Well update I was able to pull the PS with a slide hammer. DS I popped off the birf and still have the shaft in there. I modified a slide hammer prongs and have been banging on that with minimal success. I will go beat on it some more. There is no way to hit on it from the other side is there? Like go through the PS hole?

All to replace a frickin gasket. FFS.

IMG_1154[1].JPG

IMG_1153[1].JPG

You should be able to tap it out going through the PS with a long piece of pipe of the right size.

Wonder why it’s bound up so bad? Should come out easy.

Can you clean it up near the seal and see how hard it is pegged to one side? If i am correct and it isn't suspended in the middle you likely either have the 3rd member off center in relation the to axle and it is bound or the axle housing is bent like a smiley face and binding them up.

Having experience with bent axle housings. It was a lot of work to pull the shafts.

20210329_163154.jpg

Dumb question: I think you said that you snugged up a few of the nuts, but is it possible that the 3rd is now misaligned, preventing the splined collars from sliding? It sounds like you're working alone and would benefit from a second set of hands to thrash around on the 3rd while you're tugging on the axle. I'm concerned that you're going to cause more damage by using so much force.

Dumb question: I think you said that you snugged up a few of the nuts, but is it possible that the 3rd is now misaligned, preventing the splined collars from sliding? It sounds like you're working alone and would benefit from a second set of hands to thrash around on the 3rd while you're tugging on the axle. I'm concerned that you're going to cause more damage by using so much force.
I was concerned about damage from so much force As well, but how can the third member be misaligned it can only slide on in one place 😉
I’m starting to Think The axle housing bent.

That would really suck, I will look a little closer before I slide the ds birf back on. I was able to get some gasket material and squeezed it in the gap last night, was going to check for leaks today an button everything back up. If the housing is bent, I’ll have to buy another I guess. Poop

On close inspection, the housing appears to be bent. The axle is off center at the oil seal. There's no way to unbend something like that, is there?

Also, If I were to remove the drive axle on the PS side, and not install the birfs at all, remove the front drive shaft, leave the axle essentially empty, and put on the hubs and all that stuff, put the center locker on, I would essentially have a 2wd vehicle, without ABS right? Of course I will eventually get a new housing, or maybe the whole thing and reinstall when I have some time, but I have to drive to work tomorrow. I guess I know where the steering issue came from. FML

how can the third member be misaligned it can only slide on in one place 😉

I was thinking bent studs (which would probably require a bent housing....) or that dent being deep enough to contact the ring gear.

Yeah, with both birfs and the front drive shaft removed, you can drive with the transfer case locked.

I was thinking that the axle housing itself was the same with or without lockers, but there's a different part number for 8/92 - 1/95 with locker listed on Megazip:

43110-60380 Housing Assy, Front Axle FRONT AXLE [08.1992 - 01.1998] FZJ80

43110-60400 Housing Assy, Front Axle [08.1992 - 01.1995] FZJ80 W(*FFA & *DL)

$1,800 for 43110-60400 from McGeorge. Only $1,050 from Partsouq but I bet the shipping quote would be interesting.

@racevws As far as straightening one, I have not heard of anyone doing it on an 80 series but some have done it on the 79-80 year model toyota pickup axles that were known for bending. Be aware that the amount of beef is considerably different but i have seen people with chains and presses to straighten an axle.. I wouldn't go that route personally, as I would cut off the balls and send them to one of the axle building companies to make you something beefy and custom for you, or I would get another axle housing used and move on with life.

That took one helluva hit. No way would I try to repair that housing. I wouldn't trust the differential or the axle shafts either. Find a complete used axle assembly and swap it in.

Thanks everyone. She back together, minus drive shaft ps axle and ds birf. I’m going to look for another setup just to drop in whole.

I’d rather just get the whole assembly than try to get a housing and swap it. Anyone have one anywhere near Wyoming?

I was thinking bent studs (which would probably require a bent housing....) or that dent being deep enough to contact the ring gear.

Yeah, with both birfs and the front drive shaft removed, you can drive with the transfer case locked.

I was thinking that the axle housing itself was the same with or without lockers, but there's a different part number for 8/92 - 1/95 with locker listed on Megazip:

43110-60380 Housing Assy, Front Axle FRONT AXLE [08.1992 - 01.1998] FZJ80

43110-60400 Housing Assy, Front Axle [08.1992 - 01.1995] FZJ80 W(*FFA & *DL)

$1,800 for 43110-60400 from McGeorge. Only $1,050 from Partsouq but I bet the shipping quote would be interesting.
You can modifier a non-locked housing to fit a OEM locker.
Some notching and drill and tap for some extra studs that the locker has 😉
I would look for a good used front axle.
Then you get a nice stash of extra parts.
There’s still deals out there to be had.
I picked up a complete front and rear set of axle earlier this year for 750 bucks for both of them I didn’t need them but I couldn’t pass up the deal.

Little late now, but you can run that 2wd setup with the axle shafts and bells in place if you leave out the drive flanges.

What about wheel alignment and steering?
A wack that hard absolutely screwed all of that up. Unsafe, period.

That took one helluva hit. No way would I try to repair that housing. I wouldn't trust the differential or the axle shafts either. Find a complete used axle assembly and swap it in.
Interested in what your concerns would be about the diff centre and the axle shafts? I'm asking because literally just today I just paid $150 for a complete front diff assembly with the exact same thing as the OP - bent housing. It's sitting in my shed right now, and the plan was to strip it for the diff centre, axles, birfs, etc. Any particular things you'd worry about/look for? Bent axle on the damaged side I'm guessing?

Little late now, but you can run that 2wd setup with the axle shafts and bells in place if you leave out the drive flanges.
That's what I'm doing currently. I never realized how much faster it is with a hollow front axle and no front DS. I have yet to fill the gas but I bet I'm nearing 14 MPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom