Has anyone heard anything good about this kit? (power steering) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do you have the minitruck box that would be needed to go with it?

I am very happy with my mini truck power steering. The kit I used was that JT outfitters kit, but the install was not without challenges. I ended up drilling some holes and doing some cutting and welding so that the PS box was perfectly in line with the steering column. It was worth all the effort, and it has been trouble free since install.

If I had it to do all over again, i would find a way to use a Toyota brand PS pump. Nothing wrong with the Saginaw, except that it’s visibly not Toyota and sometimes that bugs me.

Currently running 2F motor, 33x12.5r15 tires and original steering wheel. It’s a good set up. I can’t imagine wishing for more assist. This is plenty.

FJ60 PS is probably the easiest and cleanest to do if you can get the parts. Works great on tires less than 35". I would recommend Saginaw if you are going to be going above that. Both are pretty straightforward and easy to do.

I'm a skeptic, so I am looking at this price, and it looks to good to be true.

It's missing a pulley, and a return line. (may be wrong)
Hey man, set expectations reasonable. How big is your budget? In what state is your cruiser currently in? You asked about tires, lift, wheels, bull bar, and now power steering. All that gets expensive. I’m 18 too so I understand it’s hard to afford a lot of stuff for the 40 series. Expect to pay double of what you think you are going to pay at least. Unexpected costs will come up.

Also recommend looking into EPS…. Way better long term solution.
Just because of parts availability?

If one is just looking for power assist and keeping it reasonable on tire size, mini truck swap seems to be the best option for function vs. dollars spent and is least intrusive. OEM would also be least intrusive, but at probably 2 or 3x the cost.

Yes. And yes. This isn’t 1995 anymore.
What makes EPS “better”? Just easier to install? More expensive? Honest questions. My ‘71 needs power steering and I was leaning mini truck box swap because i dont want to cut any sheet metal. Im also keeping the 3 on the tree....

What makes EPS “better”? Just easier to install? More expensive? Honest questions. My ‘71 needs power steering and I was leaning mini truck box swap because i dont want to cut any sheet metal. Im also keeping the 3 on the tree....
one eps I found was like $655. I mean I am going to do more research, but what from I've seen they're not a pile of junk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom