Has anyone done an engine conversion in Arizona and knows the emissions regulations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a good portion of the parts I need for a TBI SWap to a 4l60e to a toyata split case but Before I order the harness, shifter, and adaptor today or tommorrow I'm trying to make sure The inspection stations arent going to give me a hard time. Its an 85 fj60 getting a 1993 tbi and transmission, I have all the equipment and accessories for the engine.

If anyone has done this in Arizona or has a friend who has any feedback is grately appreciated.

In my head this is a no brainer, going from a carbed 1985 2f to a fuel injected 1993 350 i'm almost certain its going to be alot cleaner at the pipe, But I can't for the life of me find the actual rules. I got the run around from a MVD persion and then a number to an office that is closed today.

Howdy! Your vehicle must have all of the original emission control systems in working order, unless it is upgraded to a newer setup, which of course would need to have all of the newer emissions junk working OK. I really don't think you will have any problems with what you are planning. They should do both a visual under the hood, and a running dyno exhaust test. For mine they always have to go get a supervisor to verify the visual, since V8's don't list on Landcuisers until 1998. B-man on the CopperState Cruisers Club board below has recently done this same setup. John

Thanks alot InkPot, so when you test emissions you simply show up to the test station and tell them the information about what vehicle the engine came from and they can check it on the spot? When you did the conversion did you have to do anything special the first time?

I asked BMAN but I think he has his registered at his other property so he didn't have to worry about it.

I have all the original things from the vehicle so I guess this means I can dig in. Man I'm ready for some small block power.

I'm going thru a visual issue with the AZ smog nazis right now on my son's car. 1979 vehicle. It passed tailpipe emission standard but failed the visual. Headers off, stock manifolds on. Put on an air pump. Has to work the way the factory intended it too. Going back this week for the OK. They told me that they had a guy with a Jag that swapped in a SBC and they said that isn't the motor that came in the car and we won't pass it. It's not as the factory intended. I would check with the state before I started pulling anything apart. clone

That is what I'm a litle afraid of is a moron who doesn't realize how much cleaner a newer engine is, what the actually epa rules are, and gives me a line like that. What did you start with and what did you swap into the vehicle?

Federal law requires that you must put in the same year or newer motor, you'd want to anyway. State law will require that all the stock equipment be left on the newer motor, you,d want to anyway to avoid inoperative engine and/or a face full of check engine lights. After a V8 swap, in California we have to go to a referee station where we get a permanent decal/plaque attached to our firewall indicating that the vehicle is now approved as equipped. From that point on we no longer have any inspector problems.

They made it sound like you could swap in a later Toyota motor and all it's emission and computer stuff. I might be there tommorrow and could ask some questions for you and find out where you need to go to talk to somebody. The deal is your breaking Federal laws if you tamper with a vehicles emission system. My son's car is a 1979 Volare that we swapped in a 360 crate for the original slant six. I wouldn't have done it if I had knoown all this BS would have arose. What year did they start making the FJ55? :D I'll let you know what I find out. matt

Thanks alot, I know they do these all day long in California, I just hope they don't give me to much beef. Let me know what you find out that would be much appreciated. I mean if Arizona is getting worse than California I guess Its time to move dang. aNapalitano really left her mark...huge state deficit, tons of ridiculous programs that waste money, education funding policies that cause the State Universities to spend money frivoulously just so they don't get there funding cut then one bad year and they have no way to continue to pay for the nonesense other than raise tuition and on top of that tack on a eductation surcharge. horrible polices on the border, tons of drug trafficking, and now this. I guess this automatically qualifies you to be the head of homeland security....

Thanks alot InkPot, so when you test emissions you simply show up to the test station and tell them the information about what vehicle the engine came from and they can check it on the spot? When you did the conversion did you have to do anything special the first time?

I asked BMAN but I think he has his registered at his other property so he didn't have to worry about it.

I have all the original things from the vehicle so I guess this means I can dig in. Man I'm ready for some small block power.
Howdy! I did the swap about 16+ years ago. I have passed smog every year since. I just drive it in, let them do the dyno test, and then the visual. Usually they ask me about it being a V8, and I tell them "yup, it's a Chevy 350". The EGR, AIR, PCV, and evap are all visible and hooked up and working, so as long as the tail pipe is OK, I'm golden. Most of this smog equipment is Chevy, except for the evap, which is OEM, just plumbed it in. I have never had any hassles from the test techs. They really don't care WHAT engine you are running. It DOES have to run CLEAN, and pass the smog test for the specific vehicle, not the engine. You will not need to meed 1993 standards, eventhough you should be able to. John

Thanks John I'll make sure everythign looks good when I go in. Just out of curiosity which station do you go to get tested?

Kurtis, Be careful alot has to do with the year of the vehicle. The guy that just posted has an older vehicle than we're working with. I'll let you know what I find out. My brother in Calif. befriended one of the head referees out there. He had local referee give him grief and had his own set of rules. My brother called his buddy to come to his rescue. This guy set the local referee straight. You have to tread lightly with these people. You piss them off and your doomed. matt

Kurtis, Be careful alot has to do with the year of the vehicle. The guy that just posted has an older vehicle than we're working with. I'll let you know what I find out. My brother in Calif. befriended one of the head referees out there. He had local referee give him grief and had his own set of rules. My brother called his buddy to come to his rescue. This guy set the local referee straight. You have to tread lightly with these people. You piss them off and your doomed. matt

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Thanks John I'll make sure everythign looks good when I go in. Just out of curiosity which station do you go to get tested?
Howdy! I used the station on Chandler Blvd, west of Kyrene. Arizona rules are much simpler than California. Here they don't care what year engine you use or what type of vehicle it came out of, such as passenger car versus commercial truck. If the vehicle originally had Cats, then ya gotta have Cats. If the vehicle did not originally have Cats, then you MAY still add them if you want, but it is not necessary, even if the engine is new enough that it originally did have them. Over the last 25 years I have helped my kids and many of their friends keep older and/or modified vehicles legally smogged. I ain't no expert, but I is experienced. John

So Kurtis,

No issues with what newer type engine we swap, just that it passes smog on dyno and has swapped engine smog devices? I go to that same smog station for all my vehicles, they always do a thorough visual on my old 78.

Cool Thanks for the reply The engine is pulled And the tbi is ready to go in but I had a little hang up with advanced adaptors... the adaptor that was in stock wasn't really in stock. The motor mounts will be here monday so I can get everything else put in and wired up I guess. I kept all the smog stuff in the harness I had made so Hopefully I'm good.

Howdy! I'm pretty sure the 85 had cats, so you will need to have those on your rig also. High Perf cats from Summit run under $100. John

Kurtis,

Talked to the smog nazis this week in Tucson. Because I've been following the 5.3 Vortec swaps:hmm:. Anything goes. It just has to be a newer year motor and have all the equiptment that came with that motor. It has to pass the requirements for the cruiser year that it is. later matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom