Has anybody done a side by side comparison of the 4”-6” Slee springs & the Dobinson springs ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dobinson publishes a lot of data on the specifications of their 4” & 6” lifted springs. Slee not so much.

Has anybody tried both, with no other changes, to determine if one or the other provided a stiffer or softer ride ?

I have had both, Dobinson 4 inch flexi they were good, I honestly didn’t notice to much difference from my old man emus I replaced. Flexed good was it better? Not that I noticed
Once I put on my rear bumper the flexi couldn’t handle it. Before bumper the truck swayed more with the dobs was not bad and I had no issues with it. Once bumper was on I went to slee heavies now perfect. Slee tighten up the sway and gave me back my lift. I have also ran slee med 4 inch springs which were nice as well. The heavies I have are the newer slee progressive style

@ajax1 which bumper are you running, and do you have a big tire and/or fuel cans hanging off of it as well?

@ajax1 which bumper are you running, and do you have a big tire and/or fuel cans hanging off of it as well?
I have slee rear bumper, I have drawer on the pass side, fridge at times. 37 inch tire on the rear hanging off.
Truck sits as it should with the slee heavies, I prob lost about 2 inches with Dobinson springs and same set up, those ones could not handle the weight

I have ran a few different coils. There are many different Dobinsons coils to choose from. SLEE makes a few too but here’s my experience.
on the rear went from
TJM 2” progressive 20” free, ~220#
OME 863. 19” free, 250#
OME 864. 19” free, 320#
Slee 4” Heavy Progressive. 20.25” free, ~340#
Dobi 319 coils. 21.6” free, 375#

going from SLEE 4” to Dobinsons, I felt the Dobinsons did better handling my weight, proper spring rate. Slee may be stiffer or softer than another spring, it just depends on spring rate. I estimated the Slee coil rate being about 340# per inch based on lift height, coil specs and comparison to all the coils I ran. I could be totally wrong, but hopefully that helps some.

83F21325-E5E8-474C-8825-20F551834BA9.jpeg

I have ran a few different coils. There are many different Dobinsons coils to choose from. SLEE makes a few too but here’s my experience.
on the rear went from
OME 863. 19” free, 250#
OME 864. 19” free, 320#

going from SLEE 4” to Dobinsons, I felt the Dobinsons did better handling my weight, proper spring rate. Slee may be stiffer or softer than another spring, it just depends on spring rate. I estimated the Slee coil rate being about 340# per inch based on lift height, coil specs and comparison to all the coils I ran. I could be totally wrong, but hopefully that helps some.

View attachment 3177690
Dam I hope the HiLift Jack's aren't the only thing holding up that rig.

No also 2 6ton jackstands in front of the LCA frame mount, ha.

Does yours have the electric seats, and the double center console? Wonder what package that was? Or was it just single options they got to choose from?

Yes mine is a 96, double console, leather seats.
My white one is double console, non leather shifters.
My buddy has a red obd2 single console, cloth interior

I M asking about the handling characteristics as I have significantly lighten mine. Swapped Al block V8, & AL Chevy six speed, no body armor, no ARB bumper, no swing out arms in the rear, only two front seats, wire winch cable rather than steal cable.

I’ve had several sets of Slee 4” & 6” springs on other builds (front ARB’s, winch cable, rear bumper with swigouts, sliders, etc etc ) and was very happy.

However this current build has shaved 100’s of lbs, and the truck rides on the Slee springs on top of the spring like the rocking horses in the play ground.

Wondering if anybody has an experience with a lighter truck.

Last edited:
Our spring set up is almost identical. I run the Slee progressive 4” heavies rear and front Dobinson 3.5” tapered coils with a 1” space on top, whereas, it looks like you retained the front flexi coils. I did try the 3” tapered coils with 30mm spacer in the rear but, same as you, they didn’t handle the weight or control sway as well so I went back in with my Slee’s. This is not to say that Dobinson doesn’t offer heavier duty coils but none that are dual rate/progressive like the Slee’s.

You describe the properties and benefits of the Slee coils exactly as I would. When unloaded the rig is a bit taller than I prefer but I can load it up and still have the advertised 4” of lift like you said. And perhaps the best part is that they don’t ride harshly when unloaded. It was divulged a few years ago that the Slee coils are made by Dobinson. Mine are over ten years old and still good to go.

on the rear went from
OME 863. 19” free, 250#
OME 864. 19” free, 320#

View attachment 3177690
Which model green spring is in the photo? How thick is the material? What is the rate? The Slee’s heavy progressive’s measure almost 22mm. I’ve never seen a Dobinson chart showing a spring that is more than 20mm thick.

You said that you prefer the Dobinsons over the Slee progressives? How about when your rig is unloaded? This is where the tightly wound coils at the top of the Slee’s help smooth out the ride.

@Broski please look at the aft shock, it too is holding the rig up. I have taken the liberty of circling it for you.

View attachment 3183758
As handy and popular highlift jack are there very dangerous and unstable.
One needs to use extreme caution when using them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom