harsh ride, would spring removal help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 4/75 fj40 with a sbc (200# lighter) and no top or regular doors-just tube doors and a bikini. the tires are 10.50-31 street Michelins. I have replaced the kyb gas-a-just shocks with the softest gabriels I could find. the ride is still pretty stiff. was wondering if removing some leaves would help and if so which ones? thx

jim

IMG_5222.JPG

If removing leafs is the remedy, you should start by removing the shortest leaf first, then next to shortest until desired ride is achieved. Note, this will be at the cost of reduced ride height and tire clearance.

I just did this last weekend after debating it for a long time. I took out the second to the bottom leaf on the recommendation of another mud member. It made a huge difference to the ride. Now it handles bumps easily and is much smoother. I am very happy with the results. It lowered the body almost an inch in the back and about half an inch in the front which still leaves lots of clearance. I have MAF Safari springs. Very easy to do, I should have done it long ago.

What type of springs are you running. I ask because the old man emu, Dakar springs have an over load in the rear, third spring up from the bottom if you remove it, it makes a huge difference in ride quality.

What type of springs are you running. I ask because the old man emu, Dakar springs have an over load in the rear, third spring up from the bottom if you remove it, it makes a huge difference in ride quality.
sorry, I didn't see the picture.It appears that you are running stock springs,so start at the bottom and work your way up,like Downy said

thx. for the replies. yes, stock springs with poly bushings. would rubber bushings help also, since I will have them out?

A little tiny bit. But just swapping bushings won't get you what you want.

You might want to consider throwing a sandbag or two in the back. Seriously.

A little tiny bit. But just swapping bushings won't get you what you want.

You might want to consider throwing a sandbag or two in the back. Seriously.
now that's an idea!

I really don't know. I bought them off cl. they were a complete set of wheels and tires already mounted and balanced from discount tire (at least the tires were). guy bought them for his blazer and then got transferred and had to let them go. the fronts had to be enlarged to fit. thx, I think they look good too! still have the originals w/toyos and caps if I want to go back.

jim

I am going through the same issue at the moment with an EFS kit that I cant get the rear spring shackles to go past the vertical point and am considering removing the second bottom leaf. After reading this it might just be the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom