Harmonic balancer nut lock washer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all! I removed the harmonic balancer to replace the timing cover seal and gasket. Behind the nut was a lock washer, however theres no keyway or notch for the washer tab to go; henceforth the bent lock tab on the washer.
If theres no notch for the lock washer, whats the point? My 2f is Feb 1981, but I'm not the first owner, so who knows why its there.
Whats the collective consensus on this lock washer?

Thanks!

20210207_145923.jpg

20210207_145914.jpg

Actually, I guess theres a notch in the harmonic balancer itself, rather than the crankshaft. Does the lock washer tab just get bent so it sits in that notch?

20210207_151442_HDR.jpg

My 83 2F didn't have a lock washer. The washers were only used on the earlier motors for some reason, something to do with a different nut and how it fits on the balancer I believe. Looks like you have earlier harmonic balancer and nut so it's probably necessary. Putting the tab in the groove makes sense, it's already bent to fit right?

Well, I know it's an early 81 2f. I think that sort of nut is common for this vintage engine, I just can't ascertain whether or not the lock washer is needed, or was supposed to be there.
If it is, does anyone know the part number? SOR only has the washer up through late 80.

So, did the 2f engines after August 1980 not have a lock washer? My 2f engine manual from 8/80 does not show a lock washer, nor does it mention one in the reinstall of the H balancer.

So, did the 2f engines after August 1980 not have a lock washer? My 2f engine manual from 8/80 does not show a lock washer, nor does it mention one in the reinstall of the H balancer.
I have a '78 FJ40 / 2F and I'm having the same question. My tab like the bent one in your pic is a bit mangled. Trying to determine if I need a new one and if I can get one.

I have a '78 FJ40 / 2F and I'm having the same question. My tab like the bent one in your pic is a bit mangled. Trying to determine if I need a new one and if I can get one.

If your harmonic balancer and nut are from a later year 40 and look like this you don't have/need the washer, if it looks like the one @81fj40 posted a picture of you need the lock washer.

Edit: just noticed you have a 60 but it's still the same.

PXL_20210314_225646496.jpg

Last edited:
If your harmonic balancer and nut are from a later year 40 and look like this you don't have/need the washer, if it looks like the one @81fj40 posted a picture of you need the lock washer.

View attachment 2614177
Thanks 60 40. Mine is like those pics posted by @81fj40 and the inner tab is too mangled to re-use. Anyone have a suggestion where I can find one? Marks Offroad site says minimum $100 purchase and the only other one I see is in Australia.

Thanks 60 40. Mine is like those pics posted by @81fj40 and the inner tab is too mangled to re-use. Anyone have a suggestion where I can find one? Marks Offroad site says minimum $100 purchase and the only other one I see is in Australia.
We have them in stock, not on the website yet. 9.99$ We make them out of chromoly, helps the tab ends not to crack!

Please give us a call if you like! 719-638-2003

Justin

We have them in stock, not on the website yet. 9.99$ We make them out of chromoly, helps the tab ends not to crack!

Please give us a call if you like! 719-638-2003

Justin
Justin- I do not know about your web site. What is the name?

Also, is there a consolidated comprehensive list of member vendors available? Thanks

redlinelandcruisers.com

In the toolbar, home, forums, media,....hit the right arrow over to vendors. Other good tools there.

My balancer (1970) has that lock washer on the nut, just find one that lines up with the flat side of the nut and bend it down. Hope that helps.

redlinelandcruisers.com

In the toolbar, home, forums, media,....hit the right arrow over to vendors. Other good tools there.

My balancer (1970) has that lock washer on the nut, just find one that lines up with the flat side of the nut and bend it down. Hope that helps.
Thank you!

Just ordered the washer from @RLMS. I'm in the midst of a harmonic balancer and engine cleanup and mine either didn't have one or it walked away during disassembly. Thanks to @GA Architect for always being there with the part numbers! Couldn't find OEM anywhere though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom