Harbor Freight 'Braun' Work Light - WOW! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

my better half saw me using the light a couple of days ago and to my surprise said she would like one. So there, better half-approved! Does not get any better than this.

On the less positive side, however, I am starting to see a bit of play in the head folding mechanism now. Will need to keep an eye on that.

I just fixed the wires in mine. I thought the switch was at fault but turns out the wires where they come into the plug were breaking causing problems with contact. The more you twist and flip the light top, the more the 20 to 22 gauge wires can break at the pins.

my better half saw me using the light a couple of days ago and to my surprise said she would like one. So there, better half-approved! Does not get any better than this.

On the less positive side, however, I am starting to see a bit of play in the head folding mechanism now. Will need to keep an eye on that.
There is a hole on one of the ears of that joint. Snug up on the recessed screw (black head) inside this joint should help. There is a rubber o-ring to help take up the tension too.

^ good suggestion. I have tried to tighten the phillips screw but while that did impair the smooth folding of the head, it did not get rid of the slop in my case. It's the entire plastic assembly between the 2 ears that wobbles a bit. To be fair, though, aside from bothering my DIY OCD, that has no bearing at all on the utility of the light, at least for now.

I found at times I need more wide-area light, particularly when pretzel-twisted under the dash or in low-light conditions under the truck, so I bought this and found it to be a great, durable, bright addition. I've already dropped it off the roof and it held up fine. Magnets on the back to clamp under hood, etc. 1000 Lumens. Cheap. I bought the orange so I could find the GD thing!

Amazon product ASIN B08FWV76HF
1614890162776.png

Slightly off topic, but I have found that I am using my HF Braun work light less since I bought a Fenix HM61R. It works as a headlamp and also detaches from the headband to be useable as flashlight. There is a strong magnet to mount it to anything ferrous as well. It can go to almost 3x the brightness of the HF Braun for a while as well. If you get the Fenix, be sure to use a 20% coupon. Fenix HM61R Rechargeable Headlamp - https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hm61r-rechargeable-headlamp/

Slightly off topic, but I have found that I am using my HF Braun work light less since I bought a Fenix HM61R. It works as a headlamp and also detaches from the headband to be useable as flashlight. There is a strong magnet to mount it to anything ferrous as well. It can go to almost 3x the brightness of the HF Braun for a while as well. If you get the Fenix, be sure to use a 20% coupon. Fenix HM61R Rechargeable Headlamp - https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hm61r-rechargeable-headlamp/

I've been looking at that lamp. I currently have HR60 and it's been great, but I like the detachable feature of the HM16. Plus, the magnet in the tail cap is a nice feature. Do you think the rubber strap will hold up ?

I've been looking at that lamp. I currently have HR60 and it's been great, but I like the detachable feature of the HM16. Plus, the magnet in the tail cap is a nice feature. Do you think the rubber strap will hold up ?
It seems like the strap will hold up. I was really impressed with the overall quality. Only issue I have found is that it isn't a light weight headlamp. I can overlook that due to the performance though. I went camping a few weeks ago and I was on the Colorado river. I could light up a cliff face on the other side of the river with this headlamp on high. It just doesn't make sense how bright it is given how small the light is.

that is an interesting concept. And nice to be able to use an 18650. Does the 1200 lumens seem realistic compared to others?

As to the lack of headband feature with the Braun, well, the DIYers among us know that anything can be done with duct tape... :)

that is an interesting concept. And nice to be able to use an 18650. Does the 1200 lumens seem realistic compared to others?

As to the lack of headband feature with the Braun, well, the DIYers among us know that anything can be done with duct tape... :)

It definitely feels like it is at least 2x as bright as the Braun on high. It also has 5 settings so it is easy to dim. The battery is easy to change and the 18650 is easy to find replacements to swap in. It doesn't disperse the light quite as well as the Braun up close, but that doesn't really matter because while wearing it is always shining where I am looking.

I would like to see a photo of the duct tape mounting option. 😂 I might still have a few too many hairs on my head for that style of mount! Maybe I should go the Cousin Eddie route and mount it to the steel plate in my skull....

I've been using my Braun for about two years now. I have two of them at work and swap them back and forth to recharge, using them fairly hard daily. Two years and they're showing signs of it. I've had to super glue the plastic joint back together on both of them, but I'm guessing that one of these times it isn't going to go back together without some amount of work (wires, etc). Occasionally I use the "bending" feature, but really don't need it and it is definitely the weak point of the light. The one has lost the light at the tip, but the main lights still work on both settings. For the price, I can't complain, but I saved that AmeriLuck one in case I need a replacement.

I have to admit that I am now using the little USB charging port on the Braun fairly regularly... I know, I know, it's not very manly compared to ramming an 18650 in there as if it were an elephant double, but it's dang convenient... so, manliness be damned... :) Honestly, I would not have bought it if it did not have a standard replaceable battery, though, that was good design.

eh, I just saw that this light is on sale for $20 this weekend at HF. Best price I remember seeing in a long time.

eh, I just saw that this light is on sale for $20 this weekend at HF. Best price I remember seeing in a long time.
Do-!I could use another....closest HF is 2 hrs away. 😭

After two years of heavy use, I have been thinking about replacing a couple of mine. I have four - two at home and two at work that I change out to charge (use one until it is dead, grab the other one while the first one is on the charger).

One of mine the button is going wonky - you have to apply pressure to keep it on. Another the light on the tip no longer functions. Two of them the joint between the battery section and the light section has broken and been super-glued back together. If I get a new one or two, I'll take apart the old ones to see whether I can improve them or use them for parts.

For the price, I still think they're a great deal at the $20 price.

Not on sale, but an amazing plug-in and linkable lamp (2)... Waiting for 20% off coupons to get a couple more.

I really really hated those old halogen lights like this and threw all of 'em in the trash after I bought one of these.

1622405731360.png

^ that one looks almost exactly like some Huskys I have. Yes, those halogens were downright dangerous.

I always loved having an old Halogen going and firing up the skilsaw on the same circuit and having the breaker blow. Good times.

The Torque Test guys did an illumination test of this and other similar lights. Turns out that HF didn't lie too badly about the lumens (surprisingly):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom