Harbor Freight 'Braun' Work Light - WOW! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

using mine just about every day and still very happy.

After two years of heavy use, I have been thinking about replacing a couple of mine. I have four - two at home and two at work that I change out to charge (use one until it is dead, grab the other one while the first one is on the charger).

One of mine the button is going wonky - you have to apply pressure to keep it on. Another the light on the tip no longer functions. Two of them the joint between the battery section and the light section has broken and been super-glued back together. If I get a new one or two, I'll take apart the old ones to see whether I can improve them or use them for parts.

For the price, I still think they're a great deal at the $20 price.

I have to admit that I stepped up to Snap-On for my lights at work and got two of these when they were on sale:

A co-worker has a couple of them, so I had an opportunity to "try before you buy" and it really sold me on it. Yeah, you could buy a pile of the Braun lights for that kind of money, but using it every day makes a difference. I'm still using the Braun lights at home.

All four of the Braun lights I have are broken and glued back together at the joint between light and battery tube - that's definitely the weakest point of them. That said, I like the two distinct light levels of the Braun over the "push and hold" dimming feature of the Snap-On. The ECARB042 is a good, solid size. They have an ECARD062 which is just too big most of the time.

I like the snap on, and at a price point that didn't involve the snap on name, I'd probably have a couple.
:hillbilly:

On a more general note, I just would not buy a light that does not allow me to quickly change the battery. Like, need to wait 2 hrs to charge vs 10s to replace the battery; and throw the whole thing away when the battery is too old? Nope.

I've been using a pair of the Brauns in the shop for a couple years now. I bought some extra batteries so I can have charged batteries ready. We beat the hell out of them on a regular basis and they keep on going. When they take a dump I'll replace them with the same.

well, after a few years but only maybe like 20 or 30 openings of the battery end cap, the little O-ring on the threaded end broke. I think I even have lubricated with petroleum jelly at some point. So that's not much reliability there. Does not look like a common size Oring so I probably don't have a spare but I don't use it in the rain either so no biggie. The light itself still works fine although the light stem has a bit of play in it. I use it almost every day. Very nice for the $25 or so I paid. Good purchase that one.

FWIW, the O-ring on one of mine snapped a while ago and there happened to be one that fit (mostly) in a metric O-ring assortment I bought from Amazon or fleabay... Sorry, not sure where, so shouldn't be too odd-ball of a size unless you want an exact fit.

Also, FYI, if anyone happens to have the old style T8/T12 Fluorescent bulbs in the garage or around, HF sells some 5K lumen LED replacements that are plug 'n play for $7. I replaced all my old garage fluorescents with them, no ballast removal or wire clipping, and they fired right up and are very bright. The garage is so full of crap it was a giant PITA moving things to replace the old burnt Fluorescents that never seemed to last very long.

Both of mine are acting up a little bit. I suspect it's somewhat cheap batteries and infrequent use causing the problems. Still though if purchased at $20 I'd buy one again.

and of course I just made a comment about mine, and the little rubber flap protecting the USB connector instantly broke off after that...

i have several of these. one has a failed switch, although that one escaped and lived on a golf cart for a year. another i use at home started weirding out and wont shut off when running low on battery. these are now battery chargers.
i think these are good bang for your buck, but its still a $20 flashlight.

I was in HF yesterday and considered getting another one of these lights, but opted to try the ICON light hanging right next to the Braun. It has some features which made me think the $10 add was worth it: folds in half/smaller form factor, 800 lumens on the wide bulb surface (2 modes), second smaller bulb surface on the other side (2 modes), tip light (1 mode), magnetic/swivels, button looks sturdier. It has a USB C port, which is much friendlier than micro-USB.
1667832771201.png

Interesting, didn't know about that one. Yes, the Braun is too big to carry easily in bags etc so a shorter / foldable one would be great.
Here is a review I just watched. Covers the questions I had. To me, that it does not feature a readily replaceable battery is the deal breaker. Also a bit odd that it does not fold the light stem 180 degrees, seems like that may be an issue with the main light in some positions.

Last edited:
I was in HF yesterday and considered getting another one of these lights, but opted to try the ICON light hanging right next to the Braun. It has some features which made me think the $10 add was worth it: folds in half/smaller form factor, 800 lumens on the wide bulb surface (2 modes), second smaller bulb surface on the other side (2 modes), tip light (1 mode), magnetic/swivels, button looks sturdier. It has a USB C port, which is much friendlier than micro-USB.
View attachment 3161706

I decided not to buy this light exactly because of the non-replaceable battery, though there are some other YT vids showing how to do that, when the fixed battery is kaput. It is an improvement over the Braun in a few areas, so I may wait for a coupon then use it as a light for the E-bag since the USB-C charger is convenient and same as my phone.

Maybe post your impressions after some time using it?

Cheers!

If all goes as well as it has in the past, I will lose this light before I need a new battery ;)

My track record is forgetting that I stuck it somewhere on the frame under the truck. Several times I arrived to my destination and found it still attached, however not all made the journey. I've lost two this way. Went to HF intending to replace it after having gone without for about 6-7 months.

you could attach your ignition key to the light with a heavy chain...? that might help some?

I see they also have a new 500 lumen Braun light. Unfortunately, one of my complaints on the current Braun light is that the "joint" is weak. I have four of them in different places, but with all of them parts of the joint have broken. They're all holding together, but I've had to glue them back together to keep them functioning. So this joint just seems even more complex and more prone to breakage.

500L.png

I agree that the non-replaceable battery on the ICON is a deal breaker for me - and it seems like a poor choice for their "premium" line.

Last edited:
has anybody tried to take the old one apart? at the big knurled knob at the base of the joint? Mine seems unwilling to unthread ( if there even is a thread?).

It does unthread. The "knob" is a threaded ring that holds the joint part to the body. When you unthread it there is a plug underneath it.

IMG_6036edit.JPG

I've been meaning to take the joint apart. It looks like it is just the three screws. The two exposed ones toward the light and then the one down the center of the joint. I've toyed with the idea of drawing them up and making aluminum pieces on the CNC mill just for the heck of it.

good to know! Guess I'm gonna have to use the big vise and the big pipe wrench...

Mine was a bit stubborn at first, but I just got it off with my hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom