Harbor freight 6-ton jack stands NOT SAFE. What do you use on your 100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

damn, just ordered a pair after returning a pair of Torin big red that got damaged in shipping from amazon

Let us know if yours are bad too. Hopefully not. The QA team clearly pounded a 12-pack of the high-gravity stuff before approving my jack stands.

Alright. I ordered the Pro-Lift 6-ton set from Amazon Prime. $43 with two day shipping.

I like the two-pin locking system. Reading over the Amazon reviews, there weren't really any major quality-control scares on the Pro-Lift ones but some people reported safety issues on the OTC and Torin ones. Hein-Werner ones looked really baller but at $100 a pair that's a little rich for my blood.

Thanks everyone for the input on this. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

us jack 6-ton are nice, but $200+ shipped, really wishing I had bought the Quick jack 7000 instead 5000 last year, but I didn't have the lx then

Alright. I ordered the Pro-Lift 6-ton set from Amazon Prime. $43 with two day shipping.

I like the two-pin locking system. Reading over the Amazon reviews, there weren't really any major quality-control scares on the Pro-Lift ones but some people reported safety issues on the OTC and Torin ones. Hein-Werner ones looked really baller but at $100 a pair that's a little rich for my blood.

Thanks everyone for the input on this. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I have really liked mine for the price. With locking pins in I have quite a bit of confidence in them. The welds look good and the ratchet mechanism engages strongly.

Got my HF stands in the mail today, and I don't see anything to be alarmed about, think I will keep them

IMG_2829.JPG

IMG_2830.JPG

My pro-lift 6-ton stands arrived last night. Everything fits together perfectly. The welds all look good and all four bases sit flat on the ground with no rocking. Even my baby girl thought they were pretty cool.

43A68AF4-6D3A-403E-8D80-D25AE4EB8CBF.jpeg

the hydraulic press channel has a vid where they test rounds of wood for compression strength. Pretty impressive. IIRC they were talking like 20 and 50 tons to break one.

Hardwoods in compression are stupid strong. Google the compression strength of oak. Softwoods including framing and treated lumber not so much. Local farmer was nearly killed when a piece of farm equipment that was on treated lumber blocks fell. He had me saw hunks of Ash for him for blocking.

^ I would be surprised if a stack of construction 2x4s under a flat surface would not easily support a Cruiser, stengthwise. Of course, the stability of the stack is another matter.

^ I would be surprised if a stack of construction 2x4s under a flat surface would not easily support a Cruiser, stengthwise. Of course, the stability of the stack is another matter.

I have used stacked 2x8s for this for years and they work great under frame rails cut in 18in lengths. Generally they go under for rear Jack stands when I have all four corners in the air. They are solid and shift much less than regular stands.

it's also easy to drill some holes and use a cheap piece of rebar vertically to help the jenga stack (can't remember the correct name for the alternating direction stack, but you get the idea) stay together. And/or use some wood glue.

added: "Cribbing" is the name I was looking for. Interestingly, I just saw the following on Wikipedia, addressing the soft vs hard wood issue:

"Soft woods, like spruce and pine are often preferred because they crack slowly and make loud noises before completely failing, whereas stiffer woods may fail explosively and without warning."

FWIW

anyway, those box cribs are strong. I am always impressed when I see very large boats supported by just a few of those things.

Last edited:
Ordered Land cruiser Phil's bottle jack adapter too. Looking forward to see that shiny piece of metal. At least now with the stands and the jack adapter, I don't feel like I'm going to die when I replace these brake pads :rofl:

LCP adapter came today, looks good. Lifesaver mints were an appropriate candy choice, since this thing will likely save me from the scornful “why did you not prepare for this, when you are such a prepared guy” look from the wife when we are on the side of the road one day.

2C1448E7-3550-49FE-B090-3C38FF11F75B.jpeg

the hydraulic press channel has a vid where they test rounds of wood for compression strength. Pretty impressive. IIRC they were talking like 20 and 50 tons to break one.

Next time you are going down the road and see a trailer sized hunk of pre formed concrete, like a bridge section, notice what all that weight is sitting on. Generally 4 4x4s total and chained to the trailer with chain binders. Barely 1/2" deflection in the 4x4s.

It’s one thing if you buy a cheap torque wrench for your mobile tool bag and it’s inaccurate, or another thing if the pivoting head snaps off your cheap breaker bar.

Funny you should mention torque wrenches and breaker bars. Harbor Freight products in both of these categories beat Snap-On in quality in several independent tests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom