Harbor freight 6-ton jack stands NOT SAFE. What do you use on your 100?

I use cribbing made of 4 x 4"s as mentioned earlier. Kind of heavy but when used in conjunction with jack stands it makes feel better when under my rig. Live by myself and do a lot of work my myself so if there was an incident it would be the coroner that finds what is left.

scrapdaddy

Standing on the corner
SILVER Star
It’s a whole other thing if you are crushed to death and slowly suffocate for ten minutes, leaving your wife and two kids alone in this dark world because you used crap jack stands.
Alright. I ordered the Pro-Lift 6-ton set from Amazon Prime. $43 with two day shipping.
Hein-Werner ones looked really baller but at $100 a pair that's a little rich for my blood.
Don't want to bust your chops, but looks like your concern for leaving your wife behind stopped at $43. I personally use wood cribbing if I'm hanging out under a vehicle, stronger and cheaper. Buy some 6x6 and a 4x4 cut them up in one foot pieces, etc.

Didn't mean to sound like an smartazz, but we are talking about our lives if something did go really wrong.

My next set of stands will be US Jack Company 6-Ton stands. I contacted the company and received email from their production manager with full explanation of jack stand rating per industry standards. Great customer support and 100% US made.
would you mind sharing that explanation with the rest of us? thanks

would you mind sharing that explanation with the rest of us? thanks
My initial question to the company:
Hello, I was reading the product sheet on your website for your Garage Stands, and found it to be contradictory. The text on the left side of the product sheet states that the rated capacity is PER PAIR, meaning that the D-41610 6-ton stands are rated for a total of 6 tons between the pair (or 3 tons each). Yet the label on the individual stands in the pictues say they have a capacity of 6 ton EACH. This is confusing as they seem to contradict each other. Adding to the confusion, a lot of reseller sites also state that the stands are rated individually. Can you please clarify?

US Jack Company Production Manager response:
Thank you for your interest in U.S. Jack Company and our 100% USA made hydraulic jacks/ service lifting equipment.

All of our vehicle support stands (garage/ jack stands) are rated per pair, and not per stand, as this is the new industry standard as of 12/29/15.

I can see how one could be confused by the word ‘Each’ on our labels of our 3, 6 and 10-Ton Garage/ Jack Stand Models. It was intended to be read as for each pair and not each stand. We will most likely change this copy on our next label order to read ‘each pair’ or ‘rated per pair’ instead of simply ‘each’, to take out any misleading or misunderstanding language/ information. We do have a statement under the Warning on the label that states (and is underlined): ‘All Stands are Sold and Intended to be Used in Pairs.’

The current standard is that all vehicle support stands (i.e. garage/ jack stands) must be used as a pair and must be rated per pair, and not rated per stand. A new standard, ASME PASE-2014 (Safety Standard for Portable Automotive Service Equipment), became effective 12/29/15 and made clear that the vehicle support stands can only be rated per pair and not per stand. It states: ‘Maximum load capacity per matched pair shall not exceed the rated capacity of the individual stand.’ The previous standards came from the ASME PALD-2009 and ASME ASP-2010 standards.

With that being said, the testing standards for manufacturers of vehicle support stands requires that each stand be capable of performing a proof load test at 200% of rated capacity for at least 10 minutes. In order to pass this proof load test, ’a permanent reduction in overall height, measured after the removal of the load, at the point of load contact shall not exceed 0.125 in.’

Before this new standard was made available for review and prior to becoming effective, U.S. Jack Company personnel assumed that because the proof load testing was done at 200% rated capacity for each individual stand, the rating of 3-Tons for example, was per stand and not per pair. This new standard made clear that the 200% proof load test has nothing to do with the rated capacity of the garage/ jack stands and that the two are independent of one another.

Because this is a safety standard, I think the ASME committee that created this new standard wanted to make clear that: 1) the vehicle support stands are only to be used as a pair, and therefore 2) are rated per pair and not per stand as they are never intended to be used individually. They have to be rated as a pair if they are only to be used as a pair.

For these reasons, U.S. Jack Company has had to change its previous position and statements that our garage/ jack stands are rated per stand to now they are rated per pair.

We have updated the instructions and parts sheet accordingly for these products to comply with this new standard. We have also updated our product information page on our website and most recent catalog publishing.

pb4ugo

SILVER Star

It would be interesting what the standard was b4 2015. I'm pretty sure I knew stand ratings were per pair, years b4 to 2015.

FJ60Seth

SILVER Star
In my experience, HF has zero after sales support for anything they sell. If the product fails under warranty, they’ll swap it with a replacement. Anything else, you’re SOL.

Timely subject, that after sales support thing. Harbor Freight is not some static mega-corporation that doesn't evolve, or respond to customers. In fact, they have just rolled out a Parts Department.

In fact, history shows that Harbor Freight is still evolving, and its Founder and CEO, Eric Smidt, is extremely involved in listening to customers and shaping his company's trajectory.

FJ60Seth

SILVER Star
Timely subject, that after sales support thing. Harbor Freight is not some static mega-corporation that doesn't evolve, or respond to customers. In fact, they have just rolled out a Parts Department.

In fact, history shows that Harbor Freight is still evolving, and its Founder and CEO, Eric Smidt, is extremely involved in listening to customers and shaping his company's trajectory.
Good to know. Thanks.

Why is it that more of these jack stands don't use a design that has a locking pin? It is a really hard to find feature. I am looking at switching over to the Pro-Lift 6 ton model with a locking pin.

FYI I have had the 6 ton model HF jack stands slip off of the teeth. It occured in a low consequence situation with the truck when I still had the tires on, but it scared the crap out of me. I thought I had done something wrong, but I believe that it was just poor craftsmanship of the jack stands. I always grab my rock sliders and rock the truck a bit after placing the jack stands but before getting under them. Still didn't make a difference. I will look at how well the teeth seat into the lever when I go to my garage next. I don't believe that they seat very well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom