Hand Throttle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this may sound dumb, but I have had this on my mind for a long time...Why do FJ62s come stock with hand throttles??? I mean I coud understand if the 62s were manual transmissions, but is not....is there a reason that Mr. Toyoda did it this way? or was it just easier seeing it was the same from the 60s???

thanks for answering my pointless question

-Kiel-

Winching applications. Anytime you need constant higher rpm and you dont want to be in the car. Also used for general 4x4. Water crossings, up hill work. Pop the hand throttle up to about 1500rpm and just steer.

I pulled the hand trottle out of the 62 I parted and I'm going to put it in my 60 the mounts are there on mine all I got to do is pop it in :grinpimp:

I use mine as a poor mans cruise but latley it seems to not be holding @ highway speeds??? is there a way to tighten it?

it's nice to warm the truck up in the morning when it's cold out! it was -4 the other morning winters a coming!

Can't help you on that question since mine doesn't work at all, one of those little things I'll be looking at "soon."

Been saying that for 2 years :D

I just bought a hand thottle from SOR (Yeah, $$Bucks$$, I know), anyhow it looks like it mounts in the round hole to right of the steering wheel, where does the cable end hook up? Anyone have any photos?

Thanks

Mark

I use mine to cool down the truck. IE: In Moab with a full expedition load I pulled a couple of really long climbs. Engine and Tranny temps climbed too. When we stopped at the top I pulled my truck off to the side, popped the hood and pulled the throttle out. Ran the truck around 2K rpm for 5 mins. Temps came right down. Much faster and better for the engine than just shutting the truck down.

I use mine when winching, to keep the alternator output up at 14V.

Theyre great, I couldn't live without one!

Offroad, I use it to set the revs and just steer :)

When I'm working I use it to keep the alternator spinning :)

The boss bought me an 05 Hilux with no hand throttle, I had to jam a screwdriver between the dash and accelerator to get the revs up for the alternator he he he

Sean

Kiel- You can use it as a poor man's cruise control I'm told. Of course that won't do you any good til with a blown engine!

:cheers:

HAH funny...well my dad and brother picked up a new used 3FE this weekend, its at home in Highlands Ranch under a tarp under 4 inches of snow. I gotta find some weekend to come home to help do the swap...!!! I am excited!

HAH funny...well my dad and brother picked up a new used 3FE this weekend, its at home in Highlands Ranch under a tarp under 4 inches of snow. I gotta find some weekend to come home to help do the swap...!!! I am excited!

That IS good news! If you need an extra hand let me know.

Its gonna be a bit before I can get back, I'll probably be helping with the re-install and not as much of the engine pulling. They might need help because my dad is in a leg cast and all. I will tell them that you said that.

Also I just remembered that the hand throttle does stay out when pulled out. Haha I was trying to figure out what you guys were saying...haha I really need to get back to my wagon.

-Kiel-

a friend of mine engineered a really cool hand throttle. he took a bicycle racheting shifting lever and with the standard mounting band, attached it to his transmission shift lever, then ran a standard bicycle brake cable through the firewall and to the injection linkage. works like a champ, stays in place though you can loosen the tension on the lever with your fingers and let it come back when you let off, etc. ive been meaning to install one in my rig strictly because of my experiences in his vehicle. he can drive along with his hand on the shift lever and his finger on the throttle and just ease over stuff very nicely.

one love
jah bill

I had thought about doing that to my 1951 Chevy when I swapped in a new engine, becuase my dad mistook the throttle cable for the choke cable and cut it... so I was going to fab something like that up, but on the dash, and never got around to it...Now that truck just sits in a garage 200+ miles away. Oh well now I have my 88 FJ62 which sits in a field 100+ miles away with a blown engine, haha.

Its gonna be a bit before I can get back, I'll probably be helping with the re-install and not as much of the engine pulling. They might need help because my dad is in a leg cast and all. I will tell them that you said that.

Cast? Doesn't sound good at all. What happened?

I'm willing to wager the spare parts I just picked up for my 62 came from the same donor truck as your motor.

The hand throttle also has an application for loading hay bales onto a wagon or trailer. If one is short a man (eh, person) to drive down the field, put the Cruiser in low range four wheel drive, set the throttle to about 1,000 RPM, hop out (leave the driver's door open for wheel corrections) and go about tossing bales onto the trailer. The rig runs about 3 MPH which is about slow walking speed and perfect for loading.

Thought you might like to know in case there is a test later.

It also comes in very handy when you swap out the auto' for a manual tranny. Set the hand throttle to manage the gas while the other to feet work the clutch and brake.
My wife uses it year round to help her on up hill starts. I taught her to drive a standard when we were dating. 20 yrs later and she still can't(won't) learn to catch the clutch on an up hill start.:frown:

Cast? Doesn't sound good at all. What happened?

I'm willing to wager the spare parts I just picked up for my 62 came from the same donor truck as your motor.

Was it from FoCo? becuase thats where we got mine. He broke his fibulus?...the small bone in the lower leg. Not sure how...But hes doin okay, it was a small fracture.

-Kiel-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom