HAMsters: "Just got licensed, now what?" (Radios / Skills / Articles) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You guys playing around on 70cm? Why not connect on a repeater on 2m, and we can all get on to chat...?

I've had a lot of luck making contacts on 70cm. Seems those repeaters have more activity and I can get a better signal with my little hand held. I am game to try on 2m though. Just let me know the repeater details

Are you on 440.675 now? It’s about 8 miles from me so I can get a signal but very particular where I stand.

You're on the air, guys! Nice work.

It's usually that first contact that feels like an accomplishment, and in that moment you'll decide whether it's your 'thing' or not. The technology and learning all come together in that moment, and you realize how your equipment is picking up electron waves from a distant source, and you're able to send out some of your own in response.

When you get your base stations up and running, let's get it going on 2m with a repeater we can all get to; we may even pick up a few more CSC HAMs that just want to chat.

You're on the air, guys! Nice work.

It's usually that first contact that feels like an accomplishment, and in that moment you'll decide whether it's your 'thing' or not. The technology and learning all come together in that moment, and you realize how your equipment is picking up electron waves from a distant source, and you're able to send out some of your own in response.

When you get your base stations up and running, let's get it going on 2m with a repeater we can all get to; we may even pick up a few more CSC HAMs that just want to chat.

I am in, I'm considering setting up a base station in the house too. I think I got the bug bad...

My base station is a clone duplicate of the radio in my LandCruiser, making it perfect for both programming and troubleshooting. Plus, I have a backup if I ever need one.

The base station is nothing more than a Samlex Power Supply putting out 13.8v plugged into my radio, antenna is a copper cactus J-pole I built. It doesn't have to be complicated to work.

Can we find a repeater that nets in time to conduct the next CSC monthly meeting over the air? (*LCP sounded like he was going to cancel the in-person meeting...)

My base station is a clone duplicate of the radio in my LandCruiser, making it perfect for both programming and troubleshooting. Plus, I have a backup if I ever need one.

The base station is nothing more than a Samlex Power Supply putting out 13.8v plugged into my radio, antenna is a copper cactus J-pole I built. It doesn't have to be complicated to work.

Can we find a repeater that nets in time to conduct the next CSC monthly meeting over the air? (*LCP sounded like he was going to cancel the in-person meeting...)

I’m been looking into the “ed’s antenna” have you seen those?

Cancel the meeting!? I was planning on attending. We should get something going, i’d be in for a CSC Net

Mr. Fong is well known in HAM circles because of his antenna engineering. You're likely interested in his DBJ-1, which is dual band collinear for 2m (144-148mhz) and 70cm (440-460mhz), and the SO259 connectors will work with your matching feed line. I'd talk to him and see what feed line he recommends for best performance, and he can also suggest hookup connectors.

For the $$$ and simplicity, you couldn't go wrong with one of his antennas. Recognize, too - Mike at HRO can help you pick out an antenna for what you want AND help you tune it if you bring your own bolt cutters. Cost is about the same once you have it all pieced together.

I'm still looking into Repeater Net to find the ones that will connect us valley-wide. I might need you guys to help out by listening at certain times to see if they actually connect or not.

Looks like Arizona Repeater Association is showing Shaw Butte 147.240, +offset, 162.2Hz Tone may connect to Scottsdale 146.760, -offset, 162.2Hz Tone, but we'd need to test the link. If you guys can connect to either of these, we can probably talk to each other.

Last edited:
Alrighty, Radio is installed in the 100

Very interested to see how your Dstar works once you have it configured. Nice, clean install.

Reviving this older thread with a new spark - free (*unofficial) Club Frequency Oval stickers!

30396.jpeg

With one of these visible - maybe near your antenna - other HAM radio amateurs may dial into 146.460mHz and call you up in traffic, if you're monitoring. Additionally, I can't tell you how many times someone has asked me, "what frequency are we on?" These remove any question.

Here's the thing; you have to PM me with your FCC callsign to prove that you're a licensed Amateur Radio Operator. Any license level will do, and the offer lasts until I run out of stickers.

I happen to know of a few people who were using the pandemic downtime to study for Technician licensing, and they'll be eligible for a sticker once they pass the test and receive their FCC call. I'm hoping the sticker motivates more club members to get properly licensed, so make the choice and make it happen,

Reviving this older thread with a new spark - free (*unofficial) Club Frequency Oval stickers!

View attachment 2719676
With one of these visible - maybe near your antenna - other HAM radio amateurs may dial into 146.460mHz and call you up in traffic, if you're monitoring. Additionally, I can't tell you how many times someone has asked me, "what frequency are we on?" These remove any question.

Here's the thing; you have to PM me with your FCC callsign to prove that you're a licensed Amateur Radio Operator. Any license level will do, and the offer lasts until I run out of stickers.

I happen to know of a few people who were using the pandemic downtime to study for Technician licensing, and they'll be eligible for a sticker once they pass the test and receive their FCC call. I'm hoping the sticker motivates more club members to get properly licensed, so make the choice and make it happen,
pm'd :)

View attachment 2719676

that's a SMART play bud!

Found out about an existing club member who just landed his FCC Amateur Radio Technician license and is pending his call sign assignment!

I'll let him announce himself if he so chooses. If you've been on the fence, now is a great time to study up, run some practice tests and get to a Volunteer Examiner event. Plus, you'll get a cool oval sticker (*see above...) with our unofficial CSC frequency.

Congratulations to our newest licensed HAMateur radio station soon to be on the air,

I just received my call sign today. Even though I got the license, everything is still foreign to me. Been reading a lot of about what I should look for in a radio for my truck. I'm interested in APRS and using it to transmit my location to APRS.fi so family can see where I'm at if I choose to enable APRS. Is that something that's viable?

I just received my call sign today. Even though I got the license, everything is still foreign to me. Been reading a lot of about what I should look for in a radio for my truck. I'm interested in APRS and using it to transmit my location to APRS.fi so family can see where I'm at if I choose to enable APRS. Is that something that's viable?
I’ve got a decent thread going on general HAM stuff with a bunch of info on APRS. Link in my signature :)

APRS is perfect for keeping family in the loop, it’s probably my favorite and most used part of HAM radio

I’ve got a decent thread going on general HAM stuff with a bunch of info on APRS. Link in my signature :)

APRS is perfect for keeping family in the loop, it’s probably my favorite and most used part of HAM radio
Thank you for the suggestion, I'll take a look at that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom